Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Singles draw has been made for the second Grand Slam of the season, the Roland Garros, taking place in Paris, from May 25 to June 8, 2014.

The French Open first round matches will be played during the first three days of the competition. Main courts are Philippe Chatrier, Suzanne Lenglen and Court no.1.

World no.2 and second seed Novak Djokovic will open his campaign against no.42-ranked Joao Sousa (POR). It will be their second career meeting (H2H 1-0).

The six-time Major champion might face either Jeremy Chardy (FRA) or Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP) in the second round.

Novak’s potential rivals in the later stages of the tournament are:

3rd round: Marin Cilic (CRO, 25)
4th round: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA, 13), Jerzy Janowicz (POL, 22)
Quarter-finals: Milos Raonic (CAN, 8), Kei Nishikori (JPN, 9)
Semi-finals: Roger Federer (SUI, 4), Tomas Berdych (CZE, 6), Tommy Robredo (ESP, 17)
Finals: Rafael Nadal (ESP, 1), Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI, 3), David Ferrer (ESP, 5), Andy Murray (GBR, 7)

Roland Garros is the only Major trophy Djokovic still hasn’t won. Should he succeed, he would join an elite group of eight players in completing the career Grand Slam.

It will be Novak’s tenth appearance on Parisian clay (36-9 record).

Last year, the Belgrade native fell to the eight-time winner and defending champion Rafael Nadal, 4-6, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (3), 7-9 in a 4 hours and 37 minutes long marathon semi-finals.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Not an easy draw I think, a tricky 2nd round vs Chardy who played really well in Rome (beat Federer), Tsonga in Paris is never easy (even though he's not in his best form right now), and we know how well Raonic and Nishikori are playing... One thing is sure, if he goes gar he'll definitely have been tested ;)!!

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Not an easy draw I think, a tricky 2nd round vs Chardy who played really well in Rome (beat Federer), Tsonga in Paris is never easy (even though he's not in his best form right now), and we know how well Raonic and Nishikori are playing... One thing is sure, if he goes gar he'll definitely have been tested ;)!!
Still, he avoided Murray, Ferrer, if he can't beat shaky Tsonga then he doesn't really deserve the finals anyway. Raonic will have his hands full before he can meet Nole - Rosol, Simon, Nishikori/Dolgopolov... I think Nole got it better than Nadal this time.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Still, he avoided Murray, Ferrer, if he can't beat shaky Tsonga then he doesn't really deserve the finals anyway. Raonic will have his hands full before he can meet Nole - Rosol, Simon, Nishikori/Dolgopolov... I think Nole got it better than Nadal this time.
Both draws are quite faily balanced I think :)! But indeed, if he wants to win RG he'll have to defeat anybody who's in front of him, and that includes all of those in his quarter of the draw, no matter ho tough they are :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Difficult draw but we'll see how he handles it.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
not the easiest draw but that could help him to reach the level necessary for the title

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
If the weather forecast turns out to be true and the courts are damp, thus giving a lower bounce, I'm rather more optimistic.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
If healthy, I bet Nole could have problems only vs pushy players that are serving well enough to defend their own serve and take risks when receiving.

IMO Joao Sousa (POR), Jeremy Chardy (FRA), Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP), Tommy Robredo (ESP, 17) or even David Ferrer (ESP, 5) don't have weapons to bother a focused and fit Nole.

Marin Cilic (CRO, 25), Jerzy Janowicz (POL, 22), Tomas Berdych (CZE, 6) are pushers but I can't see them fit enough.
The same with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA, 13) but he can get some extra motivation on his soil and a personal rivalry with Nole.
Milos Raonic (CAN, 8), Kei Nishikori (JPN, 9) have to make a step to confirm in Best of 5.

Then Roger Federer (SUI, 4) Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI, 3), Andy Murray (GBR, 7) that are players feared by Nole, so that can achieve big things if pushy enough.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
If Nole makes the SF, he will likely meet Federer who has quite an easy quarter. Most important is Nole plays his best.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Nole is second on Chatrier tomorrow after Sharapova. Forecast is not good so I'm glad he's on court earlier. Even I may have to get up really early for nothing. :p

1 - 20 of 724 Posts