Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boatovic holds the record at 30 after the Nole slam. It could have been even longer if he hadn’t bowed out third round of Wimbledon.

2 questions here - first, how big is this record amongst all of boatovic’s records? I think it is right up there.

Second, what will the record be after this year? He’s currently at 21. If he takes RG and makes a run at Wimbledon, he will break it easily.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Well, RG is going to be the hard part. I'm not looking past that one. But if you assume that he wins RG then yes, chances are good to break the record.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Novak will win RG and Wimbledon but sadly fall at the USO
That would put Novak’s win grand slam match win streak at 35 matches at a minimum assuming no walkovers and then a first round USO loss.

Would a 35 match grand slam win streak be the most impressive record in tennis history?

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Re: Nole’s grand slam match win streak

That would put Novak’s win grand slam match win streak at 35 matches at a minimum assuming no walkovers and then a first round USO loss.

Would a 35 match grand slam win streak be the most impressive record in tennis history?
Probably - given he'd have won 5 Slams in a row, but again I'm just talking out of my a$$ on this one...one can hope!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
can't see anyone stopping him in the upcoming slams unless Federer somehow rises from the ashes like a phoenix

the tour is a joke right now .

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

Boatovic holds the record at 30 after the Nole slam. It could have been even longer if he hadn’t bowed out third round of Wimbledon.

2 questions here - first, how big is this record amongst all of boatovic’s records? I think it is right up there.

Second, what will the record be after this year? He’s currently at 21. If he takes RG and makes a run at Wimbledon, he will break it easily.

... Since most people like to get in a debate whether Djokovic will pass Federer in slams and therefore stamp his claim as the GOAT then we should include ALL TIME RECORDS THEN and not limit them to Open Era performances.

Therefore,Novak's record at 30 isn't actually 'the record' because Laver won 31 straight before the Open Era & Don Budge won even more from 1937-1938.... 37 in total.

Therefore,this discussion... mostly hinges on whether he'll win the French (28) and then Wimbledon (35) and then make the 4th round thus breaking Budge's record.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

... Since most people like to get in a debate whether Djokovic will pass Federer in slams and therefore stamp his claim as the GOAT then we should include ALL TIME RECORDS THEN and not limit them to Open Era performances.

Therefore,Novak's record at 30 isn't actually 'the record' because Laver won 31 straight before the Open Era & Don Budge won even more from 1937-1938.... 37 in total.

Therefore,this discussion... mostly hinges on whether he'll win the French (28) and then Wimbledon (35) and then make the 4th round thus breaking Budge's record.
Interesting, thanks for adding — do you think he will do it?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

Interesting, thanks for adding — do you think he will do it?

I won't make a prediction until the next slam rolls around and I see the draw.I always wait until the preliminaries are said and done that way I can gauge whether he goes into the French a) Not carrying an injury b) Not stinking up the clay masters tournaments c) Seeing if his draw is possibly grueling thus taxing him before the final.

Nadal aged 32 & 7 months made the Australian Open final without dropping a set so that right there tells me he's not in any stage to be discounted on doing the same thing at the French this year.At the moment my money is still on Nadal if you're going to hold me to it.

·
Registered
11,781 Posts

What makes Budge's performance even more amazing was that Budge after winning the 1938 amateur GS, turned pro in late 1938, and in 1939 won the French Pro and Wembly Pro slams, and didn't play in the 1939 US Pro. Then in 1940, the French and Wimbly Pro's weren't played again for some time due to WW2, but he won the 1940 US Pro for his 3rd consecutive Pro slam he played. I believe he won 11 more matches consecutively in those 3 Pro slams. So one might say he won 48 slams consecutively.

Also, note that Donnie didn't play in the 1937 AO or FO. In the 1936 US National Championships, Budge did not have a bye in the first round, won 6 matches then lost in a very tight final to Fred Perry 10-8 in the fifth set. He was that close to winning 10 consecutive slams (7 amateur + 3 Pro), but 9 wasn't too shabby, no?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What makes Budge's performance even more amazing was that Budge after winning the 1938 amateur GS, turned pro in late 1938, and in 1939 won the French Pro and Wembly Pro slams, and didn't play in the 1939 US Pro. Then in 1940, the French and Wimbly Pro's weren't played again for some time due to WW2, but he won the 1940 US Pro for his 3rd consecutive Pro slam he played. I believe he won 11 more matches consecutively in those 3 Pro slams. So one might say he won 48 slams consecutively.

Also, note that Donnie didn't play in the 1937 AO or FO. In the 1936 US National Championships, Budge did not have a bye in the first round, won 6 matches then lost in a very tight final to Fred Perry 10-8 in the fifth set. He was that close to winning 10 consecutive slams (7 amateur + 3 Pro), but 9 wasn't too shabby, no?

Respectfully,
masterclass
That’s pretty wild - why isn’t he mentioned more often in GOAT debate?

·
Registered
11,781 Posts

He is in my top 10 at #6,

For many years Donnie had been considered one of the greatest players of all time. He has been recognized has having one of the best backhands ever.

"Jack Kramer himself has written that Budge was, in the long run, the greatest player who ever lived although Ellsworth Vines topped him when at the height of his game.[15] Kramer said:

Budge was the best of all. He owned the most perfect set of mechanics and he was the most consistent.... Don was so good that when he toured with Sedgman, Gonzales, and Segura in 1954 at the age of thirty-eight, none of those guys could get to the net consistently off his serve—and Sedgman, as quick a man who ever played the game, was in his absolute prime then. Don could keep them pinned to the baseline with his backhand too. "*

"In his 1979 autobiography Kramer considered the best player ever to have been either Don Budge (for consistent play) or Ellsworth Vines (at the height of his game). The next four best were, chronologically, Bill Tilden, Fred Perry, Bobby Riggs, and Pancho Gonzales. All of these sources were written after Rod Laver completed his second, and Open, Grand Slam in 1969. "

" in 2006, a panel of former players and experts was asked by TennisWeek to assemble a draw for a fantasy tournament to determine who was the greatest of all time. The top eight seeds were Roger Federer, Laver, Sampras, Borg, Tilden, Budge, Kramer, and McEnroe. In important polls, then, Budge has consistently been ranked in the top five or six. Perhaps only Tilden and Laver can boast such a high and long-standing critical assessment. "*

Unfortunately, after WW2 started, Budge had enlisted and during an obstacle course training run tore his shoulder muscle and though he played again, he was never the same.

But in this age of recency bias, people tend to forget the greats of the past, like Budge, Tilden, Vines, Perry, Gonzales, Hoad, and others

Here is a nice article about Hall of Famer Mr. Don Budge

Budge's exciting flying backhand

* from wikipedia

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He is in my top 10 at #6,

For many years Donnie had been considered one of the greatest players of all time. He has been recognized has having one of the best backhands ever.

"Jack Kramer himself has written that Budge was, in the long run, the greatest player who ever lived although Ellsworth Vines topped him when at the height of his game.[15] Kramer said:

Budge was the best of all. He owned the most perfect set of mechanics and he was the most consistent.... Don was so good that when he toured with Sedgman, Gonzales, and Segura in 1954 at the age of thirty-eight, none of those guys could get to the net consistently off his serve—and Sedgman, as quick a man who ever played the game, was in his absolute prime then. Don could keep them pinned to the baseline with his backhand too. "*

"In his 1979 autobiography Kramer considered the best player ever to have been either Don Budge (for consistent play) or Ellsworth Vines (at the height of his game). The next four best were, chronologically, Bill Tilden, Fred Perry, Bobby Riggs, and Pancho Gonzales. All of these sources were written after Rod Laver completed his second, and Open, Grand Slam in 1969. "

" in 2006, a panel of former players and experts was asked by TennisWeek to assemble a draw for a fantasy tournament to determine who was the greatest of all time. The top eight seeds were Roger Federer, Laver, Sampras, Borg, Tilden, Budge, Kramer, and McEnroe. In important polls, then, Budge has consistently been ranked in the top five or six. Perhaps only Tilden and Laver can boast such a high and long-standing critical assessment. "*

Unfortunately, after WW2 started, Budge had enlisted and during an obstacle course training run tore his shoulder muscle and though he played again, he was never the same.

But in this age of recency bias, people tend to forget the greats of the past, like Budge, Tilden, Vines, Perry, Gonzales, Hoad, and others

Here is a nice article about Hall of Famer Mr. Don Budge

Budge's exciting flying backhand

* from wikipedia

Respectfully,
masterclass
Great read, thanks masterclass

1 - 14 of 14 Posts