Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its way too much to ban someone here permanently. People are passionate about players and sometimes they stupid shit, and they rightly should be punished but banning someone permanently is bit too much.

I think there needs to be a mute option like in discord. If you are muted, you can view the forum but cannot reply or react to any post.

And there needs to timed punishments. And it needs to be enforced all the time. No exceptions. Only then it will work.

1 offense in 7 days: Warning
2 offenses 7 days : Mute 7 days
3 offenses in 14 days: Mute 30 days.

So if someone knows they have one offense, they will likely behave atleast for a week so they dont get second offense and get muted for a week.

It is better than banning someone, so they just create a new account.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,591 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can still view the forum while banned - just not post and interact with your account.
And we don't simply permaban on sight - except when it comes to multiple accounts or spam.
There's a process.

In the past you needed to accumulate 15 total infractions or max out in a category to get a permaban warning. Any infraction after this permaban warning starts the 1 year permaban process (i.e. ban for one year if infraction occurs after this warning is given). After being banned once more following this, it is a permaban. 15 infractions is a lot of chances.

We've streamlined this to 2 severe infractions, 4 medium or 6 minor as trigger for the 1 year permaban warning to make things a bit more serious.

·
Premium Member
22,198 Posts
I think its way too much to ban someone here permanently. People are passionate about players and sometimes they stupid shit, and they rightly should be punished but banning someone permanently is bit too much.
Permabaned people were usually warned and temp-banned so many times it's not funny.

·
Registered
Stan Wawrinka
4,661 Posts
We despertately need all users and all gamers for our chat and our games.
In TF, there are more users. Forums need people.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Every forum I've been a part of has some form of permanent bans. In some - the trigger finger has been too itchy. For others - not quick enough.

As silly as it sounds - I've seen physical violence, extortion. theft, people getting their careers ruined, etc result from message board squabbles. I'm not sure if any of that has occurred on here, but there is a point at which a permanent ban makes sense.

I can't comment on the specific moderation here on MTF as I've never really been targeted.

·
Premium Member
11,743 Posts
Every forum I've been a part of has some form of permanent bans. In some - the trigger finger has been too itchy. For others - not quick enough.

As silly as it sounds - I've seen physical violence, extortion. theft, people getting their careers ruined, etc result from message board squabbles. I'm not sure if any of that has occurred on here, but there is a point at which a permanent ban makes sense.

I can't comment on the specific moderation here on MTF as I've never really been targeted.
:oops: Sheesh... Over what for example?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Some elaboration might be needed here, as there are two sides to this argument. Do you suggest a no-permaban-policy, to keep people that otherwise would be banned. Or do you suggest a strict moderation policy - to prevent users from disturbing the forum and potentially scare off others?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
:oops: Sheesh... Over what for example?
One example from a board that I used to post at that got particularly wild. A poster was hitting on underage (15-17) girls in private messages. Another poster, who had beef with him, got hold of the messages. His real name ended up being revealed and everyone knew where all the major posters lived. So poster #2 found out the place of business of poster #1 and sent some complaints to his HR department. Poster #1 stopped participating for a while and it's safe to assume the implications to his professional life were the reason.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You should only be banned for openly racist talk. Trash talk should be allowed.
This sounds like policy where you allow trashtalk involving language that you are not offended by, while banning those who use language that you are offended with.

·
Premium Member
11,743 Posts
One example from a board that I used to post at that got particularly wild. A poster was hitting on underage (15-17) girls in private messages. Another poster, who had beef with him, got hold of the messages. His real name ended up being revealed and everyone knew where all the major posters lived. So poster #2 found out the place of business of poster #1 and sent some complaints to his HR department. Poster #1 stopped participating for a while and it's safe to assume the implications to his professional life were the reason.
Wild... I hope the guy hitting on underage girls learned a lesson

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
Permabanned people were usually warned and temp-banned so many times it's not funny.
True, and why are posters here not aware of that?
Many of them don't violate the rules at all, but they should be aware of what is the banning process here and that severe violators and endless trolling are not rewarded here by any means, but even for them it takes a few string of actions to get permabanned.

Back in the more intense MTF days I was also involved in a ban, just not withstanding some personal feuds with one particular poster. I never objected the moderation here, because I found it overall very fair (sometimes not quick enough, but you can't expect to act mods doing it in their spare time, not on a mod payroll to police the forum 24/7) and have seen many instances where some trolls and very mean characters were getting punished completely deserved and in a measured way.

As silly as it sounds - I've seen physical violence, extortion. theft, people getting their careers ruined, etc result from message board squabbles.
These were probably on US forums, Europe is certainly not so wild in this respect.

As for GM, I find some childish, provocative name calling these days a bit more prevalent than before.

Unfortunately the forum cannot just attract people by its own ways, but it certainly provides more entertainment than posting on instagram or Twitter as it has a game and a multiple choice - very far reaching discussion section. If people are still not feeling what a tennis board could mean for proper tennis discussion and having some fun on the side, it's ultimately their fault.
The moderation was always very generous and encouraging in this regard.
(I heard some recent complaints by George Stobbart against it, I can't verify them as true. That was a very interesting and messed up case anyway...)

·
WOAT Predictor
7,206 Posts
This forum is pretty lenient overall, and not over regulated.
Other unrelated forums I have been on, will hit the ban hammer 🔨 much quicker.
Of course things like DAs have to be banned straight away, but most posters get plenty of chances.

·
Premium Member
22,198 Posts
True, and why are posters here not aware of that?
Many of them don't violate the rules at all, but they should be aware of what is the banning process here and that severe violators and endless trolling are not rewarded here by any means, but even for them it takes a few string of actions to get permabanned.
I doubt many people follow the banned users thread, you can always see there who is banned or temp banned and the reasons and for how long. There is usually no info if someone is just warned about something (except internally for the mods), but that really doesn't need to be public imo.

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
I doubt many people follow the banned users thread, you can always see there who is banned or temp banned and the reasons and for how long. There is usually no info if someone is just warned about something (except internally for the mods), but that really doesn't need to be public imo.
Based on reactions... to some bannings, I also don't get that frequent posters really don't follow some key threads where these actions (attacks, bashings, wishing death etc.) happen.
I mean the top of that was when Tennis9000+ asked that if Budadiii (aka Z-iii) was the same poster who was opening the Zverev QF match thread.
Some people do some very selective reading here or are really clueless.

·
Premium Member
22,198 Posts
Based on reactions... to some bannings, I also don't get that frequent posters really don't follow some key threads where these actions (attacks, bashings, wishing death etc.) happen.
Tbh, it's not exactly a required reading and such things get deleted anyway, so unless you are there exactly when it happened, chances are you're going to miss it even if you do follow the threads.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You should only be banned for openly racist talk. Trash talk should be allowed.
Yeah the new original sin, muh racism.
Truth is the only true bannable offense should be spamming shit to sell, malware links, cp and simila.
Free discussions shouldn't be punished.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts