Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LONDON -- For the first time in more than a century, no American singles players reached the round of 16 at Wimbledon.

The last two of 23 U.S. entrants departed Monday. First, Madison Keys withdrew because of a strained left thigh before the scheduled resumption of her third-round match that was suspended because of darkness on Saturday. Then, No. 9 John Isner lost his third-round match despite hitting 52 aces, eliminated 6-7 (8), 7-6 (6), 7-6 (3), 7-5 by 19th-seeded Feliciano Lopez of Spain.

Not since 1911 had zero U.S. men or women participated in the round of 16 at Wimbledon, according to the International Tennis Federation. That year, no American women even entered the tournament and only three men did.

This year, there were 13 women from the United States, including No. 1-seeded Serena Williams, a five-time Wimbledon champion who lost her third-round match Saturday. There were 10 U.S. men in the field, but Isner was the only one ranked inside the top 65.

Told how long it's been without any Americans sticking around for the latter stages at the All England Club, Isner replied: "I didn't know that. Don't really care, either."

He could be excused for tiring of those sorts of statistics and questions, which have been adding up.

Last year at Wimbledon, no American men made it to the third round. No man from the country has played in the quarterfinals at any Grand Slam tournament since 2011, and the last to win a major championship was the now-retired Andy Roddick at the 2003 U.S. Open.

"We got, maybe, `spoiled' is an accurate word. We expected there would be more (Jimmy) Connors, Pete Samprases, (Andre) Agassis," McEnroe said. "Because of the worldwide interest in sports, if you go back to the `88 Olympics, when tennis became part of the Olympics again, more countries put more money and resources into it to allow more kids to play tennis, so more countries have more of an interest and they see the upside of it. That same thing hasn't happened for us in the U.S."

·
10,276 Posts
Yeah American tennis down the drain as per usual.

Ryan Harrison will save the day!

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
It's not all about merica.

Honestly I couldn't care less.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
On mens side i understand, because they only have scrubs, but on women side is unacceptable this situation.

On women side last time when they didn't had an american player in the last 16 in Wimbledon was in 1911.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Our tennis players are out but we still champions:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
America dominated the sport for almost the entire Open Era up until the 2000s. not a big deal

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Most young athletic American kids aren't attracted by tennis. The $$$$$$ is easier to make in sports such as baseline, American football and NBA as far as they are concerned. With all the television deals that are struck etc. You wanna earn those figures in tennis, you need to be a regular fixture in the tour top 50. Simple as that.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Most young athletic American kids aren't attracted by tennis. The $$$$$$ is easier to make in sports such as baseline, American football and NBA as far as they are concerned. With all the television deals that are struck etc. You wanna earn those figures in tennis, you need to be a regular fixture in the tour top 50. Simple as that.
Tennis is a dying sport. I know it's hard to believe but the numbers are just not there, especially considering how easy it is to pick up a ball and start playing other sports whereas in tennis you need racquets, expensive classes, and equipment to get anywhere. If you are not a top player, you don't make enough money, and there are other sports that pay better. It is what it is. I also enjoy chess, and those guys don't make a whole lot of money either.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Tennis is a dying sport. I know it's hard to believe but the numbers are just not there, especially considering how easy it is to pick up a ball and start playing other sports whereas in tennis you need racquets, expensive classes, and equipment to get anywhere. If you are not a top player, you don't make enough money, and there are other sports that pay better. It is what it is. I also enjoy chess, and those guys don't make a whole lot of money either.
Yeah pretty much.

With American football, or English football, you just need the balls and two people. In tennis, even with all gear, you can have no idea. lol If two beginners went to a court and tried to have fun playing tennis it just wouldn't be possible, because it is such a technical sport that you need to have the fundamentals in place, technique wise, to atleast maintain a rally longer than 2-3 shots long in length. So it's hard to draw / capture people in. It's obviously not quite as bad as something like snow-boarding for example, but it's still relatively bad to those novices who can't be fucked to actually go out there and learn about what a shake-hands grip is.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'm not all that upset by this. Americans generally don't have entertaining games to watch (at least not since Agassi retired), so it makes me conflicted sometimes when I'm supposed to be partisan towards my home country but the other player is more entertaining.

·
Registered
97,201 Posts
haha i posted on twitter it would happen, right after they were all going crazy with 2 murrican women winning grass irrelevant titles in eastbourne and hertogenbosch

but srsly, it's good for one time lol, but it's *not* good for the game. they're a big market and they have cash and real interest in tennis (i know, i know it's behind baseball softball and 10 other sports no one normal as ever heard about bla bla, but still a large number of people in USA is interested in tennis)

fortunately jesse witten beat bagnis in manta challenger. there's still hope then.

PS. I think their WTA players will make it eventually. Stephens, Keys, Duval and Townsend all look good to me to be top 20 fixtures comparing to their peer generation (from which Bouchard and Bencic seem to stay out; too bad Keys isn't a bit smarter and more patient, she'd be up there with those)

·
Banned
295 Posts
Their are still North Americans competing - that's close enough :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts