Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
This doesn’t make sense to me... the teams should be based on countries’ combined rankings, meaning countries with various good players take precedence over countries with one good player. It would definitely make for more interesting matches.

·
9,507 Posts
So Kyrgios continues to run like a coward from competition.

So much for 'I love team sports'
I think other 2 are better though certainly over the last year lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
It will be a massive surprise if anyone other than Serbia or Spain win. France, Russia and Argentina are the ones with the best shots at an upset. Canada seems strong butMilos Raonic is useless against Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic and the Canadian doubles team options are weak. Germany is maybe the real dark horse. depends which version of Jan Lennard Struff shows up here

·
Super Moderator
12,305 Posts
It will be a massive surprise if anyone other than Serbia or Spain win. France, Russia and Argentina are the ones with the best shots at an upset. Canada seems strong butMilos Raonic is useless against Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic and the Canadian doubles team options are weak. Germany is maybe the real dark horse. depends which version of Jan Lennard Struff shows up here
Well Milos is Canada #2, so would not play against Novak or Rafa , that would be Shapovalov.

Based on #2 players I would make Russia and Canada the 2 best chances against Serbia and Spain.

If in clay maybe Italy and Argentina would be a threat , yeah and Germany I suppose .

Doubles will likely play a bigger role this time around with less singles players Playing in this short format .

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah not much point on playing as #3 in country , better to join another event .
I understand your point.

But it is a selfish point of view from missing players (in whom you can add Khachanov).

Krajinovic and PCB joined their team despite being #3, allowing some changes and some longer recovery....

None ot the quoted players are so starving for points that they should rush into a 250, and I am pretty sure a Team Event with the special atmosphere, coaches and team on court is a better way to warm up than a lonely run in a 250 where you can have all your energy drained out.

Anyhow players performing in Adelaide Auckland Sydney Geneva Nizza Winston Salem or New Haven rarely performed in the following Slam (grass the exception for other reasons) and we could see it is not different when Western and Southern is one week before USO and on a very same surface, Nole was so drained that he lost stupidly his nerves in USO, when he shown in many occasions in his career he is normally one of the best at bouncing back from nowhere and keeping his focuse when everybody think he has lost.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So will Kyrgios as #3 ranking, be asked to be on call as a substitute and miss the Melbourne 1 & 2 250s ?
Last year they specified the #3s, for example John Millman (Aust) and he played several games as a substitute for Kyrgios.

Edit: I guess there will be no substitutes this year and if anyone gets injured one of the other 3 will back up and play singles and doubles, or else the team forfeits.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
France with a weaker team than expected. Though Gasquet or Simon would be hardly competitive at this point

The real surprise is Tsitsipas' younger brother who will play only doubles?
Also wondering how good D. Novak will be for Austria as 2nd singles player.

That's only a typo, though by this the linking to his ATP profile is not working. They should have checked at least that before releasing the article.
Poor job at the ATP website, as usual

Reactions: Rob & Stephen

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
That's only a typo, though by this the linking to his ATP profile is not working. They should have checked at least that before releasing the article.
Poor job at the ATP website, as usual
Yup, that's what I mean. I'd get roasted if I did that at work.

Reactions: Djoker

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Yup, that's what I mean. I'd get roasted if I did that at work.
Yeah, I mean it would have been enough if they check that the linking works for each listed player, by moving their mouse cursor over all the names.
They didn't even do that apparently... though it takes only 30 secs.

Reactions: Rob & Stephen

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,289 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts