Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone left to challenge the Fed express on current form and when you consider his record against the likes of Hewitt?

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Nalbandian - that's it. Federer will definately beat anyone else he comes across, including Agassi. But even Nalba's chances are VERY SLIM.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
mitalidas, I rate Moya's chances very poorly indeed, and with good cause!

But two words will suffice here: Fat Dave. I remember during the 2003 match with Blake, the commentators said that the latter was "doing a good job of co-existing in Federer's universe." And I thought to myself, if this is Federer's universe, then Nalbandian is a black hole.

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
Sjengster said:

But two words will suffice here: Fat Dave. I remember during the 2003 match with Blake, the commentators said that the latter was "doing a good job of co-existing in Federer's universe." And I thought to myself, if this is Federer's universe, then Nalbandian is a black hole.
:haha: :rolls: Fat Dave :p Hey, I like Fat Dave, but he has to learn to fly before beating Feds, if you know what I mean... Oink!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Nalbandian wouldn't have a prayer, EVEN if he makes it that far (doubtful). His game is a mess nowadays, he lost to Karol Beck few weeks ago. Yes, he used to beat Roger like a drum two years ago, but that was two years ago. Fed has won his last two matches against him.

Only people in the top half who could maybe pull off a miracle are Gonzales and...well, that's it. Maybe Hrbaty or Mirnyi, but I doubt. In bottom half, there are few players who have a game to do it, but not the head, not in their first US Open final.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Sjengster said:

yeah you're right about moya... I don't know how I forgot his early departure. but nalbandian is playing pretty well right now and if he gets through gonzo then I will definitely give him a good chance against Roger.

It will be interesting. It's been a long time since they've met when david has been fit, and since Roger became Roger.

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
If any of Agassi/Blake/Ginepri reached the final and played him, I think they might have a chance with the huge support I expect the crowd would give them. It might unsettle Fed with a bit of luck.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
adee-gee said:
If any of Agassi/Blake/Ginepri reached the final and played him, I think they might have a chance with the huge support I expect the crowd would give them. It might unsettle Fed with a bit of luck.
Crowd does nothing but make him want it even more

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
oneandonlyhsn said:
Crowd does nothing but make him want it even more
If Agassi played him in the final he'd struggle with the crowd, he wouldn't be human if he didn't. The Americans would be ridiculous with their support I'd imagine.

·
Banned
8,651 Posts
Blake i feel has a great chance, great athlete with plenty of power to punch through federer. I dont think you can beat federer by sitting back and rallying, unless you are the superman nadal :D But i think james blake is aggressive and powerful enough to cause him problems.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
joeb_uk said:
Blake i feel has a great chance, great athlete with plenty of power to punch through federer. I dont think you can beat federer by sitting back and rallying, unless you are the superman nadal :D But i think james blake is aggressive and powerful enough to cause him problems.
it already caused Roger some problems in cincy, although both were not playing at the level they are now. if james blake were to meet Roger in the final, i would honestly say that I would be happy if either won. :) jame's comeback is so inspiring for everyone, and he's such a great guy on and off court --kinda like Fed!

·
Banned
8,651 Posts
mitalidas said:
it already caused Roger some problems in cincy, although both were not playing at the level they are now. if james blake were to meet Roger in the final, i would honestly say that I would be happy if either won. :) jame's comeback is so inspiring for everyone, and he's such a great guy on and off court --kinda like Fed!
Yeah that was a tight match, but i think they are both playing at a different level (so i wasnt sure if that match would have much similarity if they meet in the usopen). I didnt get much chance to see blake previously before the open, but i have been impressed.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Sjengster said:
yes definitely. and gonzo on a good day can blow anyone off the court.

·
Banned
8,651 Posts
Its about time we had another federer nalbandian match though, these are always classic matches :worship: they bring the best out of each other.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts