Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
19 ATP tournaments completed in 2019 so far and there have been 19 different winners. Is this a unique record? Does it show the depth on the ATP currently?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Will be 20 unique winners out of 20 when Felix wins the Miami Open. This will happen for several reasons

1) He's uber-talented: youngest in Top 100 and youngest to make top 200 since Nadal (but Felix is the better hardcourt prospect than Rafa)

2) He's inspired: Bianca winning shows just what Canada can do and he and Denis especially will be super motivated

3) He's in form: He won 8 of the last 9 games against the world class talent of Luca Vanni. His come-from-behind 4-6 6-4 6-1 victory is one of the most impressive teenage performances in the history of men's tennis.

I'm no Canada Tard, just stating facts, eh.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Will be 20 unique winners out of 20 when Felix wins the Miami Open. This will happen for several reasons

1) He's uber-talented: youngest in Top 100 and youngest to make top 200 since Nadal (but Felix is the better hardcourt prospect than Rafa)

2) He's inspired: Bianca winning shows just what Canada can do and he and Denis especially will be super motivated

3) He's in form: He won 8 of the last 9 games against the world class talent of Luca Vanni. His come-from-behind 4-6 6-4 6-1 victory is one of the most impressive teenage performances in the history of men's tennis.

I can’t tell if this is a joke or not but it must be right? lmao, not for another few years

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

I was ready to rip into you for being a moron but after reading 3) I realised you were a boss-style parody account and found it funny :grin2:

....right?

·
Registered
615 Posts
To answer the original question, I don't believe it shows depth of talent on the tour. It is perhaps more a sign of the slow but inexorable waning of the big 3. In that sense, I think it is a noteworthy stat and may even in hindsight be seen as a turning point, as arguably Zverev winning the WTF was.

Of course, the biggie is what happens in slams. The big 3 have had a pretty firm lock on these and the question I ask myself at the beginning of each year, is this the year when there is a new grand slam winner. That really would signify a changing of the guard.

With each passing year, that de facto becomes more likely. My own hunch- and it is nothing more than that- is that it will be next year that starts to happen, not this. I think this year is going to see the Masters much more spread but the big 3 still locking the slams. But let's see.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can’t tell if this is a joke or not but it must be right? lmao, not for another few years
Guess who just qualified with a STRAIGHT-SET 7-6 6-2 win over very dangerous Paolo Lorenzi?

Felix!

·
|
14,277 Posts
Interestingly enough among those 19 unique title winners in 2019 there's no any player from Mallorca.
But, Rafa has won 11 matches in straight sets this year, out of 13 matches played :armed:
That's a sign that he's in dominant form, and we haven't even played on clay yet....

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you add Paris 2018 (Khachanov) and London 2018 (Zverev) it's actually 21 different ATP title holders in a row! (I'm not counting Tsitsipas' Next Gen Trophy)
Isner, Cilic, Coric and Raonic are the highest ranked guys in Miami who are not among these 21. Go make it 22! :D

·
Registered
235 Posts

BUMP! Seriously, am I good or what? All praise goes to God. Y'all should be listening, there's still a good chance to make some serious $$$ on this bet! :sport:

·
Registered
235 Posts

REPENT! It's happening!

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Yes it's the first time that happened, in fact when it was 18 from 18 that was also a record.
Please change name and picture. Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 39 Posts