Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I'm wrong but the upcoming Houston tournament will be on red clay? If it is I believe it's been a couple of years hasn't it?

There was a time when there were about 2 or 3 green clay tournaments on the mens' tour. I think it's a shame. The tradition of the American green clay tournaments should be kept, IMO.

Why do you think it was graduall phased out, is it because most players are only interested in preparation for the real thing, i.e. the French Open or is it tournament/surface considerations.

I believe the most successful green clay tournament through the 90's was the Atlanta US Mens' claycourt championships, which Agassi won a few times.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Atlanta was the green clay tournament, no? Houston has been red clay for at least a couple years, I think.

Was Delray Beach green clay, before it changed to hardcourts?

I don't realyl see much use of them.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
And the women also have Amelia Island in Florida.

·
Registered
326 Posts
What's the difference between green clay and red clay? Is it that one surface plays faster than the other? If so which one?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
luvbadboys said:
What's the difference between green clay and red clay? Is it that one surface plays faster than the other? If so which one?
Green clay (Har-tru) is faster, some say even faster than some slow hardcourts. But there are other differences, I think it's easier to slide on Red clay. Green clay is not as slippery.

I know that there are women's tournaments on Green clay but for awhile, that looked like it was dying too. Now that Sarasota has been introduced, there is actually a mini green clay season.

Sarasota - Charleston - Amelia Island

That's what should happen on the ATP too, but instead we have this Houston tournament on Red clay, which seems like a poor attempt to imitate the European red clay tournaments. When instead, they could be concentrating on a niche and creating a few American green clay tournaments.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Interesting. Thanks!!

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Bah...I have never seen a green clay court match.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I'm curious, M&V Fan. Who is that guy in your avatar?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm curious, M&V Fan. Who is that guy in your avatar?
That is Oscar winning actor Daniel Day Lewis playing his part as "The Butcher" in the latest Scorcese's movie "Gangs of New York"...

The problem for the green clay courts is that they require as much and expensive maintenance as their counterpart in red , but none of the glamour, recognition and numbers red clay courts enjoy outside the US...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Green clay (Har-tru) is faster, some say even faster than some slow hardcourts.
This is true.

But there are other differences, I think it's easier to slide on Red clay. Green clay is not as slippery.
I've never played on red clay, but the green clay courts in NYC that I've played on are ridiculously fast and slippery.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Forgive me if this has been said, but Green Clay is easier to maintain, no? We have Green Clay courts in my hometown, and I don't think that they would pick Green over Red Clay, if it was harder and more expensive to take care of.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rebecca, I don't know about court maintenance, I only know how it plays. But I'd imagine the maintenance is about the same. I mean red clay doesn't take much to maintain anyway, right?

Well obviously there's no purpose in green clay like there's no purpose in grass. But it's about tradition and maintaining that uniqueness.

I'm not asking for other tournaments in other parts of the world to be green clay but Southern US states have a history of green clay tournaments so might as well keep it. Yes I'm looking YOU (Houston!) :fiery:

Leo7, yep it's Daniel Day Lewis in my avatar, why do you ask? :)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Well obviously there's no purpose in green clay like there's no purpose in grass. But it's about tradition and maintaining that uniqueness.
Well the few warmup events there are on grass prepare players for Wimbledon - ideally, anyhow. Green clay doesn't really prepare them for anything. Then again, if we're going to go by the slams, one could say that idoor carpet is also a waste of time, so I'll just stop rambling and realize that it wasn't a good point ;)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Marat&Venus_Fan said:
Rebecca, I don't know about court maintenance, I only know how it plays. But I'd imagine the maintenance is about the same. I mean red clay doesn't take much to maintain anyway, right?
I think clay takes more time to mantain than HC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts