Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a hype thread obviously. I just wanna say that we are so privileged to witness such legendary rivalry. This is as perfect as rivalry in sports can get. It makes you proud to be a tennis fan for sure. Big 3 provided us with great rivalries but this one in particular stands out the most imo because Rafa and Nole are basically the same age and this rivalry has been nothing but war in the last 13/14 years. Just beyond amazing to witness that they are still going at it in 2019.

May be the better player wins. So damn hyped!

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
The 2 best ever!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Could very well be the last slam final between these two players. The last time they were in a slam final was in 2014! At RG, Rafa will be 33 and Djoko 32, injuries can come at any time, as we've seen so there will be a period of dominance as was the case in the past.

·
Your visions will happen
47,137 Posts
These guys have taken the physicality of tennis to new heights never seen before and will probably do so again on Sunday with so much history and legacy on the line

Maybe a 5th set TB?

·
External factor expert
4,170 Posts
I come from a rough neighborhood where tennis was hardly ever mentioned. Tennis was considered a womens sport and whenever females played, those people watched it for all the wrong reasons. You could basicaly get shot if someone was to find out you watch menstennis.
I guess they all have this picture painted in their head, not willing to even give it a go.
A true pity that was, because tennis is a beautifull sport.

This man alone has ruined my ability to connect with people who are close to me.

Dont let me start on the constant crying. Its okay to let your emotions go one time or even twice, but it should not become a routine. I even find tears of joy sometimes hard to understand, but I'm not the kind of person to complain about it, unless the same exact event happened 20 times already. Thats just ridiculous.

Nadal and Djokovic changed all that. In 2012 tennis became a mans sport. I want to thank our 2 titans for that. I do feel privileged indeed.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
They have pushed each other to limits never seen before.

There has always been rivalrys in the past. But none were more balanced and more phisical then this one.
Nole prevented Rafa from maybe a triple grandslam. Rafa also did the same.

One of these guys will be 1 step close to 20.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Dont let me start on the constant crying. Its okay to let your emotions go one time or even twice, but it should not become a routine. I even find tears of joy sometimes hard to understand, but I'm not the kind of person to complain about it, unless the same exact event happened 20 times already. Thats just ridiculous.

Nadal and Djokovic changed all that. In 2012 tennis became a mans sport.
Federer is an inspiration and a role model to millions of men around the world. Please leave your fragile notion of masculinity in the past where it belongs.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Truly amazing rivalry.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Clearly the biggest rivalry by 2 best players ever, whose primes and peaks overlapped pretty much. In term of slam count, they clearly canceled each other out pretty much because of that. If any of these players were 5 years older, they would now have easily more than 20 slams to their resume.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
^ I would say the biggest influence on others among the big 3 is definitely Nadal, because of his physicality and high percentage tennis. After getting beaten over and over again, Novak (unlike Roger) "Nadalised" himself in 2011, and then started to beat him. And then Nadal tried to play more aggressive in order to beat Djokovic 2.0.

So these 2 players actually pushed each other. Unlike them, Federer remained stubborn with his playing style, he was the only one with one significant weakness, so only thing others needed to adopt to beat him is go to his backhand.

So Federer is out of this "making each other better" equation.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
^
History would have been different, as big3 improved because of each other
Also if Nadal was the one that was 5 years older That could mean that there have been less resistance to Djokovic winning slams in 2011 and beyond. If Djokovic was the one that was older both Nadal and Murray would likely have more slams in 2011 and beyond. Also Federer may have more slams post 2010 as well.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
They do provide the best matches of this era without a doubt. We aren't as privileged though in the sense that once the big 3 retires its gonna be bottom feeding bums winning slams all over the place and no great players to follow anymore

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
They do provide the best matches of this era without a doubt. We aren't as privileged though in the sense that once the big 3 retires its gonna be bottom feeding bums winning slams all over the place and no great players to follow anymore
People used to think there will be no new player nearly as good as Sampras ever, or at least not soon. People used to think that Sampras vs Agassi matches are something best what tennis can offer. Look how silly that looks now.

Maybe new big players won't come right away after the big 3, but give it time, no reason why new big players wouldn't eventually show up.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
People used to think there will be no new player nearly as good as Sampras ever, or at least not soon. People used to think that Sampras vs Agassi matches are something best what tennis can offer. Look how silly that looks now.

Maybe new big players won't come right away after the big 3, but give it time, no reason why new big players wouldn't eventually show up.
Before you had an era of guys that pushed the Sampras/Agassi era out a bit . Hewitt, Fed, etc. and became the new stars. Like Pete/Andre did to their predecessors and took over (Lendl, Mac, Connors, etc) Today you have NO new generation of guys pushing the old guys out. The old guys will just leave on their own accord. No one forcing them out and kicking them out of the spotlight . This is the first time in history thats ever happened.

Theres no one for people to get behind because they all SUCK and can't stay consistent for more than a month. One slam they show signs of hope then the next they get knocked out in the first 2 rounds. Its a joke

Heck, even Fed has commented on this before I believe. Though not uncertain terms claiming they are crappy tennis players

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Before you had an era of guys that pushed the Sampras/Agassi era out a bit . Hewitt, Fed, etc. and became the new stars. Like Pete/Andre did to their predecessors and took over (Lendl, Mac, Connors, etc) Today you have NO new generation of guys pushing the old guys out. The old guys will just leave on their own accord. No one forcing them out and kicking them out of the spotlight . This is the first time in history thats ever happened.

Theres no one for people to get behind because they all SUCK and can't stay consistent for more than a month. One slam they show signs of hope then the next they get knocked out in the first 2 rounds. Its a joke

Heck, even Fed has commented on this before I believe. Though not uncertain terms claiming they are crappy tennis players
Yes, that's true, current young players are weak generation, but you never know will somebody completely new out of nowhere show up and start slaying the tour. And somebody from the current young players will latter in his carrier maybe do the same as Wawrinka. These 2 will not retire soon, so there is plenty of time for somebody to show up.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I come from a rough neighborhood where tennis was hardly ever mentioned. Tennis was considered a womens sport and whenever females played, those people watched it for all the wrong reasons. You could basicaly get shot if someone was to find out you watch menstennis.
I guess they all have this picture painted in their head, not willing to even give it a go.
A true pity that was, because tennis is a beautifull sport.

This man alone has ruined my ability to connect with people who are close to me.

Nadal and Djokovic changed all that. In 2012 tennis became a mans sport. I want to thank our 2 titans for that. I do feel privileged indeed.

:haha:

Master Yoda strong is in the force :worship:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts