Mens Tennis Forums banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
In my mind, the Olympics has always been a Micky Mouse tier event. Zero ATP points makes sense.
Still butthurt I see :lol:

Shame about the lack of points but not matter. Patriotray (1 loss in singles representing GB since 2009 and 33 wins) will win every gold available.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Players aren't asking IOC or ITF to compensate them financially. They're symbolically asking for ATP points for invested time in their insanely busy schedule. That costs zero dollars.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Players aren't asking IOC or ITF to compensate them financially. They're symbolically asking for ATP points for invested time in their insanely busy schedule. That costs zero dollars.
This.

To play the Olympics, players are losing the opportunity to win points and prize money. I would argue that all players who are good enough to qualify for the Olympics don't need the money, but missing out on points is a problem for most. Most of those players will decide it's a problem they are prepared to take on, because the Olympics are worth it, but it still means they are being unfairly penalised.

If the Olympics were to get points in association with their prestige, I'd say the winner should be getting at least 1500, on a par with the WTF. However, I think it would be acceptable to offer the 750 points awarded in London, or even just 500.

The result is that now we have players who have chosen money and points over prestige, and they are going to have an extremely easy time of it to get points they wouldn't normally be capable of winning.

I can't comment on what the ITF may or may not have done, but I do know that the ATP is being very petty and unfair to players who want to represent their country and participate in the greatest sporting event in the world. It seems too many people at ATP are money men, and not sports fans.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
It's not fair to give ATP points for a tournament, which doesn't allow equal possibility for everyone to play at.

You can be #5 in the World, if all the guys ahead of you in the ranking are your countrymen - you cannot play.

There are also no qualies, so being a private/different tournament, it shouldn't give points for a totally separate ranking.

This one gives medals, so either you go play for the medal, or if you think it's not cool enough and you prefer the points - you go elsewhere and play for points.

I think it's pretty simple and there's nothing controversial here. Players are given very clear choices and it's up to them to decide.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Perfect, i hate these nationalistic BS events like DC and Olympics (especially in tennis as strictly individual and global sport)
And the most stupid is the Swimming in Olympics - they run 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500 (maybe they can introduce 300, 500, 600 and 700) from one discipline just to inflate the number of gold medals, in a sport that has nothing to do with the original sports and human body, exercise, training, traditional skills required in nature. It also deforms the human body to a travesty.
Athletics on the other hand is the true Olympics sport, and Decathlon is the top.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Perfect, i hate these nationalistic BS events like DC and Olympics (especially in tennis as strictly individual and global sport)
And the most stupid is the Swimming in Olympics - they run 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500 (maybe they can introduce 300, 500, 600 and 700) from one discipline just to inflate the number of gold medals, in a sport that has nothing to do with the original sports and human body, exercise, training, traditional skills required in nature. It also deforms the human body to a travesty.
Athletics on the other hand is the true Olympics sport, and Decathlon is the top.
how's that?

·
Registered
163 Posts
What complete BS. Swimming is one of the most health-benefited sports along with athletics and cycling. It is one of the original Olympic sports and is a corner-stone of the Games. By your logic athletics also has to ditch some disciplines, because they have the 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 3000, 5000, 10 000, marathon. Inflating the medal table, right....

·
Premium Member
62,136 Posts
If no more ranking points are ever awarded at the Olympics Federer will keep his record. He's the one who has taken the most of them ;)

One thing I'm curious about is what golf choose to do. I guess they won't give any either but I haven't read anything about it.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
What complete BS. Swimming is one of the most health-benefited sports along with athletics and cycling. It is one of the original Olympic sports and is a corner-stone of the Games. By your logic athletics also has to ditch some disciplines, because they have the 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 3000, 5000, 10 000, marathon. Inflating the medal table, right....
This.

But the dressage and jumping horses... only the very rich of human spectrum can compete.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
What sucks is that team GB were not allowed to put more than one rider in each cycling discipline in 2012. Still dominated it anyways :shrug: but why should USA swimmers be allowed to inflate their nations medal count?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
In my mind, the Olympics has always been a Micky Mouse tier event. Zero ATP points makes sense.
Considering what is going in Brazil these days, along with the Zika Virus and with the venue constructions way behind schedule, If I were a top player, I probably would skip this Olympics. I hope Novak does. The USO is much more important for his career resume, IMO.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
In four-year period every tennis player is technically able to play as much as 110-120 tournaments, isn't it worth to play 1, but take part in the Olympic Games? It's not only about points, nor money. Many of these 100+ tournaments ends with 0 pts, and/or very minimum $$$. What about prestige, pride, patriotism, or even simple week or two of enjoying something that 99% of Earth population can only dream of? I mean, I can't imagine turning down chance to play it, when ranking is not enough, criteria not met or relations with national federation difficult preventing from participate - you can say: okay, what to do?, Im gonna do something else that week, maybe I will play in Tokyo.
But having all criteria fulfilled I can't imagine skipping it, taking into account those numbers I gave - 120 vs 1. It's just a week, but what a week.
Happy to see Damir having now 100% confirmed spot in Rio :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Absolutely no sense awarding points for the Olympics, and its just one week so most players are not that effected by it. Anyone playing should consider if its worth the hassle. It might be OK to allow on an Olympic year to receive points from 4 250 tournaments instead of 3, regardless if you participate

·
Registered
494 Posts
Its a real shame that cash is the reason that no Olympics ATP points are awarded for Olympics Tennis Tournament for the second consecutive event (first Rio and now Tokio).
This just sadly illustrates the state of the ITF and ATP today :(. Cash rules everything.
If such things continue to happen, I might even start to think that Djokovic and Pospisil were right to start the PPTA...

81 - 96 of 96 Posts