Mens Tennis Forums banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I don't understand what this is all about? Tennis should be in the Olympics, but why no ranking points? Still, I think most of the top 50 players will compete, for their country and a medal. Golf is going to be an Olympic sport next year, which IMO, is silly.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,416 Posts
I guess this means top players will sleepwalk through the first rounds.

Really bad that those who participate might take an hit in their rankings while vultures will play ranked tournaments.

Small chance of Aliassime qualifying if he plays enough pro tournaments till deadline (when is it, btw?), breaking another record; only positive I can think about this.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
I don't understand what this is all about? Tennis should be in the Olympics, but why no ranking points? Still, I think most of the top 50 players will compete, for their country and a medal. Golf is going to be an Olympic sport next year, which IMO, is silly.
couldnt agree more. Tennis definitely should be in the olympics . Golf being there is a total joke. as is trampoline

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
I think it's good.

Medals are important but why for example Ronaldo or Messi dont't care about that? Football in Olympics is a joke, U-20 national teams participate. Literally no big names play that event. I don't know what makes it really imporant for Tennis & Basketball players, unlike football players? Weird.
i wouldnt say no big names, neymar competed in 2012. messi has competed before as has buffon

·
Rankings Master
16,139 Posts
Football in Olympics is a joke, U-20 national teams participate. Literally no big names play that event. I don't know what makes it really imporant for Tennis & Basketball players, unlike football players? Weird.
Actually, it's U-23, and 3 overage players are always allowed per squad.:wink2:

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
Is there a way to ignore Devon's posts?

His posts in the first page were so dumb it gave me cancer.
Go to User CP (on the near top right of your screen), then under settings, click on Edit ignore list.

It used to be said that software programmers were trying to make more idiot-proof programs, while the universe was churning out bigger idiots. Devon reminds us the universe is still winning that race :(

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Let's be honest here...NO ONE CARES ABOUT OLYMPIX.
It's a disgusting event full of populism and fake honor.
It's only important for sportsmen from some of the poorest and least interesting disciplines in the world.
Only Athletics & Swimming are more or less interesting and prestigious.

It's kinda similar to soccer world cup, which is dying competition.
very poor trolling attempt. I'll give u a 2/10.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Let's be honest here...NO ONE CARES ABOUT OLYMPIX.
It's a disgusting event full of populism and fake honor.
It's only important for sportsmen from some of the poorest and least interesting disciplines in the world.
Only Athletics & Swimming are more or less interesting and prestigious.

It's kinda similar to soccer world cup, which is dying competition.
Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Why are they still giving points for Davis Cup wins if they're not giving any for the Olympics? No consistency in logic.
No ATP points for Davis Cup either. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
well, Olympics have their prestige and it's right they don't receive points for it
there are a lot of non-ranking events in other sports

·
Premium Member
20,764 Posts
Stakhovsky screenshot & tweeted this, which was posted by Janko Tipsarevic's coach, about why the ATP is not giving points for the Olympics

·
The Last Mohican
24,819 Posts
In my mind, the Olympics has always been a Micky Mouse tier event. Zero ATP points makes sense.

·
Premium Member
20,764 Posts
What does he mean the ITF gets money from the IOC?

Is it money to run the tennis competition: Pay umpires, linespeople, ballkids (even arranging and coordinating volunteer ballkids has a cost), administrative staff, technical staff like racquet stringers, medical staff for MTOs, grounds-keeping, etc. In other words, the IOC sub-contracts the ITF to run the Olympic tennis tournament and take care of all the details? If so, then I can understand why the ITF doesn't give any of that money to the ATP; they can run a tournament themselves, they don't need the ATP/WTA for anything.

Hordorff makes it sound like it's loads of money and the ITF is profiting; any way to find out how much money it is and what exactly it's for?

61 - 80 of 96 Posts