Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
A good decision.
1. Olympics are irrelevant in tennis.
2. Since it is held only once every 4 years it does not really fit into the one year based ATP ranking system.

·
Administrator
6,265 Posts
The incident that you refer to went like this:

Wimbledon banned Pilic from playing. The newly formed ATP, lead by Stan Smith, called for everyone to boycott the tournament. It's exactly the example you sought. A dispute between ATP and ITF, which lead to the ATP deciding not to award points for it, which really happened. Wimbledon 1973 is the only Grand Slam in the computer rankings era to not count for the ATP rankings.
Ok, but as far as I know the ATP isn't calling for a boycott of the Olympics. And if they did, my guess is that players would be less likely to rally behind the cause of "the ITF didn't financially compensate tournaments enough" than standing in solidarity with a player that was banned for refusing to play a Davis Cup tie (something that could happen to them in the future as well). Obviously if the conflict escalates then anything might happen, but as it stands right now I think that the top players at least will be playing the Olympics despite this move to not give ATP points for it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Let the vultures have there thing. It will allow more players that actually want to represent their country be there and feel the atmosphere of the be-all end-all of sports.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Does the ITF ask for the smaller tournaments to pay them due to affecting the Davis Cup?

And why isn't ATP asking Slams to pay smaller tournaments for affecting them?

OGs are much bigger than some random ATP tournament nobody really cares about. Actually, OGs are bigger than any ATP evens (maybe apart from the WTF, but that's debatable). ATP should adjust their schedule to ITF OGs, just like they do with ITF's Slams. Or why don't they pay the ITF for having events that could affect players' decision on playing at the OGs?

ITF should take ATP's formula of ranking and publish the ITF ranking every week, but with OGs included.

This way we'll have a player doing great in OGs and being in a great form (for example, realistically be a top10 player), but the ranking will not showcase that. Stupid greedy ATP.

·
Registered
62,581 Posts
This will be terrible for the event. The top 10 will play anyway for the prestige of possibly winning a medal, but people ranked 20-40 have basically no reason to play at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That doesn't mean he's not gonna play at the olympics. He's just renouncing on aid money from the Austrian sports federation because he doesn't want to play to their rules.
I'm not sure it's just about the money..can he play even if they don't nominate him? I doubt it. He could partecipate for another country though (as other Austrian have done often enough) or an "indipendent Olympian".

Thing is Thiem has apparently never really had big interest in the Olympics.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'm not sure it's just about the money..can he play even if they don't nominate him? I doubt it. He could partecipate for another country though (as other Austrian have done often enough) or an "indipendent Olympian".

Thing is Thiem has apparently never really had big interest in the Olympics.
No, they have to nominate him. But the list is not the nomination list, it's only about aid money.

It's true tho that he said in the past that Olympics are not important for him (which is pretty clearly his coach talking through Thiem's mouth) so with the new facts (no ranking points) I wouldn't be surprised at all if he doesn't play there.

Gulbis OTOH, who has the same coach, said in the past that he would like to play there (if he can qualify). Not sure if he's gonna change his opinion now.

·
Registered
23,382 Posts
Expected, the ATP and ITF tear everything down that is good for the sport in their quest for more money.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
I think it's good.

Medals are important but why for example Ronaldo or Messi dont't care about that? Football in Olympics is a joke, U-20 national teams participate. Literally no big names play that event. I don't know what makes it really imporant for Tennis & Basketball players, unlike football players? Weird.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
ITF should take ATP's formula of ranking and publish the ITF ranking every week, but with OGs included.
Good idea, and then the Slams can base their seedings on the ITF rankings - about time we had a rankings war, and it could give Slasher something to think about!

·
Bring it Home
21,336 Posts
I think it's good.

Medals are important but why for example Ronaldo or Messi dont't care about that? Football in Olympics is a joke, U-20 national teams participate. Literally no big names play that event. I don't know what makes it really imporant for Tennis & Basketball players, unlike football players? Weird.
Messi has a gold medal.

·
Bring it Home
21,336 Posts
i meant nowadays.
Well, he's not U23 anymore, so he would've to be one of the 3 players over 23, which leads to another issue: clubs also don't like to release players from their preseasons (OG's is played on August).

Neymar will probably be the only O23 top player in the upcoming Olympics. Since he will be playing at home and Brazil never won the gold medal, he and his agents will annoy Barcelona a lot over the issue. :lol:

·
Your visions will happen
52,954 Posts
Not sure about that, a lot of players used to skip Olympic Games when points weren't awarded.

Atlanta 96 was a joke.
True, but I think pandora is out of the box now with how big the Olympics were in 08 and 12 in Olympics

The very top players who think they have a good chance of winning a medal will play, but why would anyone outside the top 10 play? No points, no prize money, they have to travel to South America during the North American hard court swing. They're better off picking up some easy points at Atlanta or Cabo San Lucas or preparing for the U.S. Open.

Outside the very top players, the field will probably end up looking like the B-squads send out by countries in recent Davis Cups.
I hope not but I fear it

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Let's be honest here...NO ONE CARES ABOUT OLYMPIX.
It's a disgusting event full of populism and fake honor.
It's only important for sportsmen from some of the poorest and least interesting disciplines in the world.
Only Athletics & Swimming are more or less interesting and prestigious.

It's kinda similar to soccer world cup, which is dying competition.
I think you must be trolling, because otherwise you have no clue about what you are talking about. Seriously man, think before posting, it's good sometimes.

Reactions: barbadosan

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well... Not that Djokovic needs them.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts