Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ITF confirms no ATP points will be assigned at Olympic Games in Rio 2016

The main reason is cash ... "ITF refused to help economically the tournaments penalized by Olympics presence (especially on clay) and this is why there will be no points at Rio 2016."

Top players decision to participate shouldn't be influenced by this turn of events .. they will play for the medals ...

But certain top 20 or top 50 players may decide not to play ..

Discuss ...

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Let's be honest here...NO ONE CARES ABOUT OLYMPIX.
It's a disgusting event full of populism and fake honor.
It's only important for sportsmen from some of the poorest and least interesting disciplines in the world.
Only Athletics & Swimming are more or less interesting and prestigious.

It's kinda similar to soccer world cup, which is dying competition.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
It's only important for sportsmen from some of the poorest and least interesting disciplines in the world.

Yeah, that is why players were literally crying on the court during the last Olympics.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Good. The Olympics shouldn't have really included sports like tennis in the first place, but if they must, it certainly shouldn't be acknolwedged in the ATP rankings.

Reactions: ThierryH

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

:facepalm:

Football World Cup is the most popular sports event on the planet ... PERIOD !

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:haha: And Davis Cup is the most popular tennis event in universe.
I didn't say that.
I replied on your comment - "World Cup is a dying competition".

World Cup and Davis cup are different animals

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
I didn't say that.
I replied on your comment - "World Cup is a dying competition".

World Cup and Davis cup are different animals
Bcz world cup is dying competition :shrug: Champions League is far more important nowadays. Players are giving their 100% in regular season (national leagues and LC) and stars are not "peaking" for WC. It's like a bonus tournament, or fair of talents of you want. Of course for some south american mugs and other small countries WC is still the most prestigious and interesting event, since their domestic competitions are crap. It's also very important for young "nonames", who are trying to sell themselves to big club :shrug:

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't want to derail the thread with World Cup vs Champions league discussion ...

The subject here is "IF ANYONE" and WHO might opt not to play Olympics after the decision that no ATP points will be awarded !

·
25,425 Posts
Really? I guess it separates the Olympics to others, but I now fear a bit on the players who may not play here. I mean surely it's a big event sentimentally for many and the point that not even putting it higher than Davis Cup (675 points) seems wrong. It's the top players that would play here mostly so I don't see the problem how it affects, say, the Challengers, where only a few regular Challenger players would probably qualify for the Olympics draw, anyway?

·
Premium Member
ИДЕМО НОЛЕ
11,087 Posts
ITF caring of Clay tournaments runned by ATP.... :shrug: wtf ??????

Anyway Top 50 Clay players will anyhow stay on European Clay.

And eligible Top 50 HC players will go to Rio....

Maybe some that enjoy high bounce like Gstaad or Kitzbuhel can change their mind and resign from the Olympics but they probably are very few.

Rio is in America so not that bothering for HC players focused on US Hardcourt swing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
NEWS: Dominic Thiem won't partecipate in the 2016 Olympics.

It seems like the everlasting quarrel between Thiem and the Austrian Tennis Association ÖTV has extended to the Austrian Olympic Committee as his name didn't show on the list of candidates presented yesterday. Its chief coordinator P. Schröcksnadel told journalists: „Er will sich nicht eingliedern und wir können ihm nicht nachlaufen“ -which translates to - "He's unwilling to adapt/embed and we won't run after him".

Source

(this might be worth an extra thread..)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hypothetical question, what/who would you consider greater?

Player A - 10 slams,
Player B - 9 slams, olympic gold
Player C - 8 slams, 3x olympic gold

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
NEWS: Dominic Thiem won't partecipate in the 2016 Olympics.

It seems like the everlasting quarrel between Thiem and the Austrian Tennis Association ÖTV has extended to the Austrian Olympic Committee as his name didn't show on the list of candidates presented yesterday. Its chief coordinator P. Schröcksnadel told journalists: „Er will sich nicht eingliedern und wir können ihm nicht nachlaufen“ -which translates to - "He's unwilling to adapt/embed and we won't run after him".

Source

(this might be worth an extra thread..)
Ah shit.

No Thiem, no Olympics.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Glory-hunters like Fed & Novak will be happy, because it will make them feel even more noble than they already do. A few other people will turn up for a bit of sex tourism in Rio, with expenses met by their national federations. Should make for a good tournament.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts