Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the COVID-19 situation and tennis being on hold, what do you think will happen to the finals? I’m not sure how it can go on, with all of the tournaments being canceled and it being made up of the top eight players with the most points.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Probably depends on how much of the season gets played. The ATP definitely won’t want to cancel though, it’s their flagship event. Might just see a slight change in format if necessary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m a bit anxious because I have tickets. I don’t think the tournament will be held. If / when they cancel, I hope they refund the tickets and not just roll over.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I’m a bit anxious because I have tickets. I don’t think the tournament will be held. If / when they cancel, I hope they refund the tickets and not just roll over.
Seems I ask this question every week (but in fairness no one can give a certain answer). Remember this is due to be last year in London so really don't know what happens if it can't be played (which is very likely due to the lack of events alone). Does it stay in London for November 2021 (hopefully life will be back to normal by then!) or go to Turin as scheduled?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
But who qualifies as the top 8, let's say the whole rest of 2020 is cancelled except for London, then who are the top 8 based on, current rankings, or the ATP race rankings??

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
They'd have to be refunded given it moves to Turin next year.

Seems I ask this question every week (but in fairness no one can give a certain answer). Remember this is due to be last year in London so really don't know what happens if it can't be played (which is very likely due to the lack of events alone). Does it stay in London for November 2021 (hopefully life will be back to normal by then!) or go to Turin as scheduled?
I can't imagine their contract with Turin would allow the relocation to be postponed.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
But who qualifies as the top 8, let's say the whole rest of 2020 is cancelled except for London, then who are the top 8 based on, current rankings, or the ATP race rankings??
Current race to London is:

1. Djokovic
2. Thiem
3. Monfils
4. Nadal
5. Rublev
6. Garin
7. Zverev
8. Tsitsipas
9. Federer

In a normal year Federer would move up once the grasscourt season started and Garin would probably move down but aside from that it looks a pretty normal WTF line up with one surprise package usually (Rublev). Medvedev would probably hit some good form again aswell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts