Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if this news has been shared here already. I just found out that Kei Nishikori tested positive for COVID-19, withdrawing the Cincinatti master's. He doesn't seem to be showing any serious symptoms of the corona infection and is likely to participate in the U.S. Open as scheduled. I'm sad that he can't enter Cincinatti, but at least he has a chance to play in the U.S. Open.

·
Registered
384 Posts
"Kei revealed he had "a bit of concern about his condition" on July 31st.
Kei said he only went out for practice in IMG Academy or grocery shopping, and washed all his clothes after coming home. In addition, he also said he has "one infected person" around. "

"Kei got tested because he had a fever...
He & Mirnyi and Sakai (his trainer) are going to get another test on Friday, if Kei tests positive again at that time, Kei will pull out from the USO "

Some fans translated from japanese media.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
kei has a lot of mileage on his body, he trained very hard to reach a high level of ferrer level fitness. he could be burning out early like courier.

·
Registered
730 Posts
"Kei revealed he had "a bit of concern about his condition" on July 31st.
Kei said he only went out for practice in IMG Academy or grocery shopping, and washed all his clothes after coming home. In addition, he also said he has "one infected person" around. "

"Kei got tested because he had a fever...
He & Mirnyi and Sakai (his trainer) are going to get another test on Friday, if Kei tests positive again at that time, Kei will pull out from the USO "

Some fans translated from japanese media.
Scary. I wonder if this will make other players stop and think about the US Open, indeed playing any international event.

Anyway, best wishes for Kei. I'm sure he will be OK but it's still very scary as no one knows exactly how they will be affected.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,556 Posts
Can an athlete play an event after having an illness and not being able to do physical activity for two weeks? I really am not too hopeful even if he does get the chance to play.

Very sad as he missed AO this year too and both events in 2017/8 prior, and this one is typically the slam he has posted his best performances at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cancel the tournament already.
Cancel the tournament because someone tested positive over 2000 kilometers away? Interesting idea.. If anything this only makes the USTA's measures look even better, as one of the things they do is ask players to get tested before they travel so they don't arrive with the virus and in this case it clearly worked.

Relax yourself and enjoy what's in all likelihood about to be a great three weeks of tennis after we have been starved for so long.

·
Registered
16,310 Posts

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Cancel the tournament because someone tested positive over 2000 kilometers away? Interesting idea.. If anything this only makes the USTA's measures look even better, as one of the things they do is ask players to get tested before they travel so they don't arrive with the virus and in this case it clearly worked.

Relax yourself and enjoy what's in all likelihood about to be a great three weeks of tennis after we have been starved for so long.
Joins 29 minutes ago, posts this 26 minutes ago..a legend :worship:

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Kei probably would have been safer had he arrived at the USO bubble instead of hanging around in FL. but everything is hindsight I suppose.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If he also misses FO, then this would be a terrible thing for him.....because at least performing the King of Deciding set will be postponed until next year....

·
F***ing have it
17,596 Posts
Poor thing. Health of glass as usual😔

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
Well hopefully he is negative on Friday so he has a chance, but even if not, then he can get an early start on clay season and Euro indoors

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Kei will be soon O-kei, no? :unsure:
Just wish him a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Kei just can't catch a break. If he's going to play USO, he will be seeded though. Says it all about the new generations being able to replace the 30+ guys.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts