Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,290 Posts
The Madrid crowd were great. Noisy and involved.

They wanted Ferrer to win and made it clear. As sport should be.

The sooner tennis fans stop promoting and encouraging the 'respect both players' nonsense the better. Silence and subdued clapping only appeals to old people anyway - and MTF posters.
Finally someone who speaks my language on this.

Nishikori was too exhausted at the end to do anything more than walk to the net and shake hands, but also he probably did not want to let loose anyway in such an environment. Of course tomorrow he will be the same in the finals.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
True. Very classy and composed.

The whole rant about injury faking doesn't make sense. He got physio in neutral moments of the match, didn't even seem to take extra time and had clear health issues even in his previous match, after all the marathon of matches he's just played.

After the way Mo gave Ferrer a game, saying Ferrer's clear double fault was in, it's even more impressive that Kei kept his composure.
This.

·
Registered
21,441 Posts
True. Very classy and composed.

The whole rant about injury faking doesn't make sense. He got physio in neutral moments of the match, didn't even seem to take extra time and had clear health issues even in his previous match, after all the marathon of matches he's just played.

This.
I'm not talking about this match, getting massages during changeovers is obviously not a problem.

He overplayed his tiredness though, grimacing between points like he's going to die and then proceed to effortlessly run down every ball and play a five minute rally.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Credit to Kei for enduring the DC crowd. Djoker would've taught them Serbian.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
I'm not talking about this match, getting massages during changeovers is obviously not a problem.

He overplayed his tiredness though, grimacing between points like he's going to die and then proceed to effortlessly run down every ball and play a five minute rally.
I think we saw a different match. There were no five minute rallies in that final game.

·
Registered
57,777 Posts
Faking injury is classy nowadays :lol:?
No, no. When Nadal or Almagro fakes an injury it is disgusting. When Nishikori or del Potro does it, it is no problem at all- after all, they were probably injured, and even if not Ferrer/Benneteau/Bautista/etc should not have been so thrown off by it.

Nishikori is one of the most classless players there is, with the illegal coaching, time wasting, and fake injuries every few matches. Truly can't stand him, hard to believe I rooted for him to succeed a few years ago.

The Madrid crowd is indeed horrible (booing Gulbis every time he checked a ball mark yesterday, cheering Djokovic falling last year, etc.) but they were on the money today, whether they knew the reasons or not.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Not sure about 'most classy', but Nishikori is definitely a very classy player, today he conducted himself brilliantly even in the face of blatant cheating in Ferrer's favor in the end of the second set.

You have to laugh at Ferrer fans claiming it isn't the case after their idol vamosed loudly on every single Nishikori UE in key moments and did his usual swearing in Spanish routine :lol:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Nishi showed some great composure.
He blew plenty of chances but continued to play unaffected.

He reacted so maturely to the chair's decision on a "out" call that was too late to discuss.

I can't find anything not likeable about him, hope he continues his success.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
If Kei has been injury faking, then he's the classiest injury faker of all time. That's something.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I find it OK that a crowd might cheer for their players, but it really went too far.

Especially when that guy coughed very loudly on purpose as Kei was about to serve on match point... And Kei slammed the ball with his hand in frustration.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's retarded to claim that Nishi was putting on a show to get in Ferrer's head, or that he does so in other matches. "Overplayed his tiredness"? He's 10-0 on clay this year. He IS tired. It makes sense that he'd be subdued between points so as not to waste energy.

The fact that he can recover between points, then go on to give his all when it counts should be applauded, not criticized by casual fans with no experience playing in high-pressure, exhausting scenarios.

Or maybe he should have just withdrawn like Thiem.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
What was bad about the crowd? I saw some highlights and they gave him a standing ovation.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

Or maybe he just has poor fitness. He is playing a semi-final (Which means he's been playing matches for the previous 5 days plus practice) against a grinder, and it lasted 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

very classy

·
Registered
21,441 Posts
It's retarded to claim that Nishi was putting on a show to get in Ferrer's head, or that he does so in other matches. "Overplayed his tiredness"? He's 10-0 on clay this year. He IS tired. It makes sense that he'd be subdued between points so as not to waste energy.

The fact that he can recover between points, then go on to give his all when it counts should be applauded, not criticized by casual fans with no experience playing in high-pressure, exhausting scenarios.

Or maybe he should have just withdrawn like Thiem.
You act like this is some new critique based on today's match, people have been saying this for years :lol:

And yeah, classy to take a random jab at someone who withdrew with food poisoning.
Or maybe he just has poor fitness. He is playing a semi-final (Which means he's been playing matches for the previous 5 days plus practice) against a grinder, and it lasted 3 hours.
No, his fitness has massively improved under Chang and is fine now. Runs like he is having right now could have never happened in earlier times. Of course, he still has the problem of being injury prone.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

·
Registered
21,441 Posts
21 - 40 of 72 Posts