Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't hold a candle to the generations before him. Above average at best, likely never to be a truly lauded champion if a champion ever.

Moving on.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Not so good..so I can beat him.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
But he's a ballbasher. MTF approves.
I always wonderer, if Nishikori (89') is a young gun, why aren't Cilic(88') and Del Potro(88') also considered young guns? :lol:

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
He's not overrated. He's one of the only hopes outside the Big 4 to actually do something. It's just that the Big 4's level is so greatthat the rest of the field looks inferior in comparison. He's pretty consistent considering, and when he's really on can threaten anybody.

If people expect him to be a No. 1 or a multiple slam winner they are deluded. He can at best win one slam and/or maybe some M1000. He has the talent, but not the fitness or consistency. Also that serve is a liability.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
my thoughts exactly, he has talent and he is a solid player, however he is overrated and overhyped.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Today kind of showed you what Kei is, Murray does everything he does only slightly better.

He doesn't get enough cheap pts on serve and he isn't good enough to live with the top guys without it which is why he still hasn't got a slam title.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
He need to lose from player like Murray in 100-500 player fashion, so the crowd finally relize he is hyped.

·
Premium Member
8,529 Posts
His serve is rubbish. He will never win a slam with that serve. He may sneak a masters 1000 though.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Today kind of showed you what Kei is, Murray does everything he does only slightly better.

He doesn't get enough cheap pts on serve and he isn't good enough to live with the top guys without it which is why he still hasn't got a slam title.
No he doesn't. Murray can only dream of his shootmaking abilities and the pace he produces. However, Murray beats him at everything else and is generally a better player.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Real talk in here, let's be honest. Still amazed that people see him as a potential #1.
Hardly anyone projected that; almost the entire board here are cognizant of the brittleness of his health for it to materialize..And if they did, it was done way less frequently than for busts like Dimitrov/Janowizs/Tomic ..

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
He's another Nalbandian.
That's true, he will never win a slam.
He might win a Masters though if both Nadal and Djokovic will be out or too old/washed-up.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nole is only 2 1/2 years older than him.
I wouldn't be surprised if Nole's still winning slams when Kei's already half-retired.

I mean, I like Kei, but he's just not up there and will never be. If he ever reaches his "real" peak, there'll always be other players who take the spotlight.

·
Registered
645 Posts
No he doesn't. Murray can only dream of his shootmaking abilities and the pace he produces. However, Murray beats him at everything else and is generally a better player.
you are wrong. Murray is feeding on pace like noone. he loves when people are trying to play in same rhythm against him cause he will give them those balls back with same if not bigger speed. so he can produce pace, he is just producing it differently then Nishikori. also, shotmaking means nothing... Murray can hit a ball as clean as anybody. he has great backhand, and can make pretty much any shot that Nishikori can. he just doesn't go for those shots if he doesn't have to, like Nadal and Djokovic.

as for the topic, Nishikori isn't overrated. however, he is overhyped. his contingency plan is, "lets continue playing same, and hope for the best" which is fault even greater then his serve

1 - 20 of 139 Posts