Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to his agent, Kei Nishikori has withdrawn from the upcoming Rome Masters where he was to play Ernests Gulbis in the first round. The 24-year-old had to retire today in Madrid final to Rafael Nadal.

Nishikori was leading Nadal by a set and a break when at 4-3 in the second the Japanese received treatment for an ailing back. Nadal took the second set then three games into the third set Nishikori retired to lose 2-6, 6-3, 3-0 ret.

“There is a lot of confidence I get from this tournament by beating [Ferrer] in three sets and playing well in the final today,” said Nishikori.

“It’s going to be very exciting at [Roland Garros] because I’ve never feel like this on clay. I’m very confident of whatever I hit going for winners. I can hit from either side – forehand or backhand – so it’s a very good feeling that I have on clay right now.”

Nishikori had won 14 straight matches and was 9-0 on clay this year.

“I’m very sorry for Nishikori,” Nadal said. “He’s an unbelievable player that will fight to be in London. I am sure of that. I really hope that the injury is not too bad and he will be able to compete in Roland Garros.”

Get well soon nishikori.:sad:

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2014-05-11/15693.php

·
Registered
327 Posts
Expected, he could barely walk in the last set yesterday. I'd love to see a Nadal-(Peak)Nishikori match in Roland Garros.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, he just can't seem to stay injury free.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
His stamina is just too low to go deep in slams. With his style of play he should be fitter.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
nid
kei :hug: if he was fitter, he could have won madrid and play rome...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
good .. the back doesn't sound serious ... hopefully Kei can get some quick 3 set wins at RG early so he's fit in the later rounds to do some damage.

·
Registered
623 Posts
A different opinion -- I think Kei's fitness is pretty good, to have prevailed over Ferrer in a grueling match on Saturday and then worked over Nadal for a set and a half on Sunday. He played quite a few long baseline side-to-side rallies with Nadal and was the better player in them. He could be even fitter I suppose, but getting injured is not the same as being unfit.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
excellent cover story

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I hope he recovers on time for the French Open.

According to his agent, Kei Nishikori has withdrawn from the upcoming Rome Masters where he was to play Ernests Gulbis in the first round. The 24-year-old had to retire today in Madrid final to Rafael Nadal.

Nishikori was leading Nadal by a set and a break when at 4-3 in the second the Japanese received treatment for an ailing back. Nadal took the second set then three games into the third set Nishikori retired to lose 2-6, 6-3, 3-0 ret.

“There is a lot of confidence I get from this tournament by beating [Ferrer] in three sets and playing well in the final today,” said Nishikori.

“It’s going to be very exciting at [Roland Garros] because I’ve never feel like this on clay. I’m very confident of whatever I hit going for winners. I can hit from either side – forehand or backhand – so it’s a very good feeling that I have on clay right now.”

Nishikori had won 14 straight matches and was 9-0 on clay this year.

“I’m very sorry for Nishikori,” Nadal said. “He’s an unbelievable player that will fight to be in London. I am sure of that. I really hope that the injury is not too bad and he will be able to compete in Roland Garros.”

Get well soon nishikori.:sad:

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2014-05-11/15693.php

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Expected. If Kei is fit (fingers crossed) he will do some serious damage at Roland Garros.

LOL!!!!!!!! oh please.. the kid's never even gotten past the 4th round at the slams.. you'd have a better chance pinning your hopes on murray winning roland garros (LOL) than on nishiquitter doing any so-called serious damage in a best-of-five format..

the kid must first develop a set of balls and deal with his own lack of mental and physical fortitude before he can be considered a threat at the majors..

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
He would win a slam if he could stay healthy for two weeks. Too fragile. Such a shame.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts