Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a litte bit early, but he is one of the best prospects in Germany. 15 y. He is a player of the Juan Carlos Ferrero Tennis Acadmey, part of the DTB-Talent Team with Zverev, Altmaier and Molleker and currently the Number 201 in the U18 ITF-Ranking. He reached today the Quarterfinal of a G1 Tournament in Spain. When his junior career began he represented Spain but then started playing for Germany.

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100197348

http://te.tournamentsoftware.com/profile/matches.aspx?id=EB2CAB85-C49B-4235-B5C7-B1A1B301FE1F

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nico and his family live a couple of kilometres from me in Torrevieja and I am a friend of the family, as well as being a semi-retired sports journalist. You are correct about Nicola's split allegiance. He has lived in Spain since he was three months old but his father Alfred is German and as Germany offered to pay his expenses, which the Spanish tennis authorities could not afford, he opted to play for the Land of his Father! Nicola's mother Rita is Russian, by the way,, and Nico himself was born in Austria. To add to the international flavour, mosst of the family's neighbours are British! Having said that, Nico's main base is Juan Carlos Ferrero's Equiulite Academy in Villena, near Valencia. His coach Fran Martinez likes to play things low key but after the way he disposed of Felix Auger-Aliassime in the Junior Davis Cup Final singles, I reckon he's currently the best 15-year-old player in the world!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that. :)

I watched his win against Auger-Aliassme online. His footwork is awesome. So he moves quite well and with his movement he was able to handle the power from Auger-Aliassme easily. For me Auger-Aliassme looked physically at bit stronger but this wasn't an issue for King Kuhn.
I like to add his forehand is already like a lash. Altogether his MVP Title of Junior Davis Cup is well deserved.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a surprise that he'll play for spain. Maybe the spanish could take over this thread or somebody can delete it.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,267 Posts
His coach Fran Martinez likes to play things low key but after the way he disposed of Felix Auger-Aliassime in the Junior Davis Cup Final singles, I reckon he's currently the best 15-year-old player in the world!
Ok, lol. Let's see...

Aliassime (born 08 Aug 2000):
Junior Ranking #16
Pro Ranking #742

Kuhn (born 20 Mar 2000):
Junior Ranking #71
Pro Ranking #2016 (only 1 point)

Kuhn is definitely a promising player, though.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Glad he has decided to play for our country, if he keeps up developing and maturing he seems like an oasis in the desert that Spanish's tennis will turn out to be in a few years...

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Not sure you can say you don't need one of the biggest talents in the world

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
sucks that he changed his nationality after sorta an breakthrough season but he still an great prospect & promising player

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
i know both of them. i can understand you dislike nico but you have to face he is as german as spanish and lives here in spain...

its so irrational to say shitty things about him. he is a really great guy

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, it's not okay. We wish him all the best and we know he has a great future ahead. Tennis in Germany is on the downgrade for some time. Therefore German Tennis needs desperately new stars. So it was kind of disappointing to lose one of the greatest Talents. But we have to accept it.

Can't believe that Molleker is arrogant as hell.

·
Super Moderator
8,510 Posts
Kuhn wanted the best practice conditions you unfortunately don't get in Germany. Look at Karlsruhe. The German tennis crisis in men's tennis is based on a weak federation-leadership which supports the top players and ignore the young promising guns. By the way I still doubt Kuhn will make something big in the future. Just a few kids are interested in tennis these days here in Germany and unfortunately those play tennis who have little talent...

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
well besides molleker, you have möller who is pretty decent(but short) and has a lot of money so can get to the tour for sure

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kaiser Kuhn and Germany have done a lot for each other tennis wise, but the match was never a natural one. He's spent all but the first three months of his life in Spain and although he speaks fluent German (as well as English, Spanish and Russian) has always regarded Torrevieja as his home. At the end of the day, the real winner of the Kuhn saga is not Spain - it is EUROPE.

I'm less bothered that Austria, Germany and Russia have all lost out on the multi-qualified 15 year old than that my own homeland couldn't claim him on the grounds that he and his parents live in a predominantly British community on the Costa Blanca! www.newbawlgame.blogspot.com

1 - 20 of 489 Posts