Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Administrator
18,199 Posts
Nick won 64 64

Worst possible route to final: Kuznetsov - Raonic - Nishikori. That's a masters. Cmon!

I'm not sure id even be that angry at Nick for losing his R4. Its been his best ever run at masters already (defending all the points from Madrid).

What I really think though is, what an opportunity! Nick has two years to win a slam younger than Federer. Think what a boost this would be.

There's the psychological: He becomes a top force, will feel even more like he can beat anyone. Look at Thiem who wasn't even playing much better, until the Nadal win gave him confidence.

Ranking bonus: Becomes the top Aussie. Seed bonus in masters. Top 16 in Slams - no Murray until R4 in slams!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Nick cruises it in, after a close first set. Swops breaks with Kuznetsov to egt to the tie-break, then dominates the tie-break, even with 2x double faults at the start, to win it 7-3, then comes sailing home with a wet sail against a disconsolate Andre Kuznetsov, winning 63 in the second.
Good stuff Nick, in the end.

·
Administrator
18,199 Posts
Defeats Raonic 6-4 7-6!

Big result for him. Joins the top 20 and becomes Aus #1, most likely to stay that way.

This looks like the Wimbledon seed method should get him top 16 seed. Nick is underrated on clay, I'd love to see him get a seed that sees him through to R4 at RG. He still has to defend points from Estoril,mtf he does there is a chance of seeding in Madrid even (altitude suits his game a lot).

GL against Nishikori tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Nick lost to Shapovalov 6-7(2) 6-3 3-6. Nick had a tape on his left knee, it's not good sign before US Open
If he was injured he should have withdrawn - these half arsed efforts on court and losing him even his most committed fans.

Thankfully I didn't bother watching after his last debacle. I'll be back if he ever gets his head together, but unfortunately no sign of that happening any time soon.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Not a good result for Nick, but it wouldn't be the first time a top player lost in the first round to an up and coming Junior.
I'm sure Nick will bounce back just fine.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Not a good result for Nick, but it wouldn't be the first time a top player lost in the first round to an up and coming Junior.
I'm sure Nick will bounce back just fine.
It is not losing to a young up and comer per se that was the issue but the lack of effort - 18 doublefaults, hardly bothering to move to hit.

But apparently still alive in the doubles, so hasn't gone home as he said he was!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I didn't realise that his performance was pathetic, seems like he has no respect for the sport then.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts