Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Great match from Kyrgios honestly. He's getting there! \o/
Agree! Didn't get the victory but fought til the end and thats all anyone can ask for! Thought the match overall was high quality. Hopefully things will go in Nick's favour next time they meet.

Didnt agree with the violation warning when Nick hit the ball after losing a point. It wasn't really done that forcefully and he didn't actually hit the linesman! :mad: The commentators also thought it was a bit harsh. Nick really is a marked man, isnt he?! :crying:

Anyway, now a weeks rest until Valencia. Maybe some more time away from the spotlight will do him good again.

The commentators confirmed from the ATP that this violation will not lead to the automatic ban.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Played very well in the first set against Kei. Was serving fantastically and wasn't letting Nishikori get in the zone. The second though Nishikori raised his level and Nick's momentum stopped which led to him once again getting frustrated. In the third he seemed more focused but Nishikori just had that edge in the important points.

He received a code violation for hitting the ball too hard after the point had ended almost hitting the lines judge. Luckily though he's still escaped a ban but he's walking on a very thin line to getting banned.

Overall I'm happy with Kyrgios's consistency over the Asian hard season. SF Kuala Lumpur, QF Tokyo and 2R Shanghai is nothing huge and I reckon he could of gone further but considering his injuries have been not allowing him to play as much ATP events t's good seeing him have a stint when he can just get some points. Up to 30 in the live rankings now and with Valencia and Paris to go. Top 25 seems likely if he doesn't do anything stupid.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Valencia draw now out. Nick path to a possible title as follows:

R1- Qualifier (if it's Kokkinakis, Nick's beaten him, I think, 3 times already so hoping that trend continues)
R2- Ferrer (less talented version of Nadal, but in better form, I think)
QF- Chardy (currently similarly ranked to Nick at the moment)
SF- Tomic/Paire (would rather it was Tomic, would be interesting to see how they match up)
F- Lopez (if Nick gets there, 3rd time lucky?:unsure:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Qualifiers in Valencia have now been placed. Nick will face 28 yo Daniel Brands, ranked 170. Their match is scheduled 3rd tomorrow on Pista Central.

Also hearing some rumours that Ferrer may withdraw due to a continuing shoulder problem....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Surprising loss in 3 today. :crying: Nick really should have won that 1st set but as has been the case lately, whenever he loses serve, he loses his mind along with it. :facepalm: That new coach can't come soon enough, tbh. :|

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Surprising loss in 3 today. :crying: Nick really should have won that 1st set but as has been the case lately, whenever he loses serve, he loses his mind along with it. :facepalm: That new coach can't come soon enough, tbh. :|
Brands snacking on Aussies at Valencia - first Kokki, now Brat kid. Would not have picked Kyrios to lose in a tie-break in the 3rd set. Starting to feel the heat :surprise:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Oh my! :surprise:

Well on the plus side, he can now safely ride out the rest of his probationary period till its expiry next February. :yeah:

Here's hoping his ranking doesn't slip out of seeding while all the other movers are still in play, tho! :scared:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would have played Brisbane over HC to try and get some ranking points pre AO...although maybe its better to not be seeded than be seeded 25-32.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would have played Brisbane over HC to try and get some ranking points pre AO...although maybe its better to not be seeded than be seeded 25-32.
Do you mean it would be better to be outside the 32 and perhaps face Djokovic first round when he may be rusty or something?

Edit: Also, why 25-32. Are you suggesting that the rule that each group of seeds drawn will have the same chance of meeting #1 seed as #2 is going to be change or ignored for the first time ever? Last year, as always, 25-32 were distributed evenly across the draw.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Nick has claimed his first IPTL scalp for 2015, beating, no, ANNIALATING, Tomas Berdych, 6-2 to win the mens singles set for Singapore Slammers in Japan today! :grin2:
I know this is considered a glorified exhibition event, but no one in the Top Ten wants to lose to Kyrgios, so I'm pretty sure Berdych gave his best effort, making this victory for Nick an impressive one, imo.

Unfortunately, Nick was the only one who won his set. :sadface: Overall the Slammers lost to the UAE Royals 20-26.

On a separate note, apparently crybaby Stan will be playing for the Slammers on the Singapore leg!:surprise: :scared: #awkward

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Nick saves the day for the Slammers winning the final set against Raonic (another Top Tenner) to give his team a 26-24 victory! :grin2:

He really does seem to thrive in this type format. I was also proud of the way he shook off the disappointment of dropping his service game during set, enabling him to break back right away. :tennis:

Looking forward to tomorrow. :smile2:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think some of you are placing way too much value on this event or the wins. Its barely more than a hit and giggle exo. I know its always nice to see your fave win but I wouldn't look too much into it as an indication of form for the up and coming season.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think some of you are placing way too much value on this event or the wins. Its barely more than a hit and giggle exo. I know its always nice to see your fave win but I wouldn't look too much into it as an indication of form for the up and coming season.
Yeah, I'm definitely not looking at it as an indication of form, but the way he plays at these events is a lot of fun to watch :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
So after beating both Berdych and Raonic so convincingly the past two days, Nick falls to Ivan Dodig of all people! :facepalm: But to be fair, the latter was very good today, in the men's and mixed doubles and clearly had the momentum going into the final men's singles set, so...

Shouldn't be too surprised. Nick's MO is usually to raise his game against the 'big' players and sometimes lose the plot against the journeymen. :lol:

81 - 100 of 100 Posts