Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Paire it is. Should be a cracker of a match.

·
Administrator
18,199 Posts
If its anything like their AO clash... (Nick would've won if best of three anyway) were in for a great match here! Two entertaining, tanking, lose bad matches, trick shots, and both of them are 'motivated' right now.

Correct me, but is Nick virtually AO seeded now? (unless tons of people below him do really well).

Also wondering what the story is for Paris. Chance for a WC? If Nick lost in Q that would be bad for confidence, and a horrible end to his best season. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Wins first set 6-3, on serve 2-2 in second after difficult hold. Seems to be getting a bit edgy, keeps muttering and complaining about something but I can't hear what he's saying, can anyone else?
Yep, didn't sound particularly happy. He is seeming vulnerable to dropping his serve if he doesn't stay concentrated.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Drops second set 6-4. Paire's level has definitely improved but Kyrgios also seems quite agitated, which isn't helping.... Paire does seem to have the momentum, so hopefully Kyrgios can turn it around, two consecutive semifinal appearances would be awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
Loses 6-3, 4-6, 1-6. Major fadeout in the third, the elusive three matches in a row without imploding mentally remains a dream. I'm not sure what started to bother him in the second set, but it was clearly playing on his mind, and he really needs to work on putting those things aside and concentrating on the game at hand. Anyway, in a good position to get a seeding for AO if he gets a few points in his last few tournies of the year. Disappointing, but he is a work in progress....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yeah, Nick still letting himself stay frustrated when he drops serve. :frown2: I guess the ability to let it go quickly and focus on the next point/game will come with more match experience? :|

To be honest, i don't expect him to miraculously transform these quirks in his personality overnight. :shrug: I think it's obvious that he's trying. But it might still be harder to do when he's upset. As B.kelly123 says, he's a work in progress.
On a positive note though, he is now no. 32 in the live rankings! :dance:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nick draws Andreas-Haider Maurer in the first round, Nishikori awaiting next...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Well it looks like Nick may get to face Nishikori after all! :laugh2:

See his potential path in Shanghai Masters below:

R1 - Andreas Haider Maurer (28 yo Austrian currently ranked no 64)
R2 - Nishikori
R3 - Kevin Anderson (big server now ranked at career high no 10)
QF - Federer (H2H 1-0 to Nick)
SF - Raonic/Nadal/Crybaby Stan (Nick has beaten them all)
F - Djokovic/Murray

Tough draw after R1 plus not sure now where he is mentally at the mo. :|

·
Registered
997 Posts
Well it looks like Nick may get to face Nishikori after all! :laugh2:

See his potential path in Shanghai Masters below:

R1 - Andreas Haider Maurer (28 yo Austrian currently ranked no 64)
R2 - Nishikori
R3 - Kevin Anderson (big server now ranked at career high no 10)
QF - Federer (H2H 1-0 to Nick)
SF - Raonic/Nadal/Crybaby Stan (Nick has beaten them all)
F - Djokovic/Murray

Tough draw after R1 plus not sure now where he is mentally at the mo. :|

I can't access the draw on the ATP website or Shanghai website, anyone know another place to look at it?

Edit: never mind, found it:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Nick's match first up on Grandstand court tomorrow at 1:30pm local time.

Should be winnable on paper but you never know with Nick. :frown2: Also Haider-Maurer defeated Tsonga this past week in China! :surprise: So think I'm going in with low expectations. :|

On the other hand, i think if Nick got a crack at another top 10 player like Nishikori, he'd be motivated enough to rise to the occasion, so he might be keeping that in mind tomorrow to push through for the win. #ComeOn

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
And he gets the win, 6-3,6-2. :smile2: Although, I think he was helped by Haider-Maurer's very poor serving!:eek:

Now for a chance to claim another Top 10 scalp against Nishikori! #ComeOn

See match stats below:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Bad boy duo, Kyrgios and Tomic, have defeated former Wimbledon Champs and current Beijing Champs, Sock and Pospisil! :surprise: :grin2: Score was 7-6(3), 7-5.

Possible Davis Cup combo for the tie against USA next year?:wink2:

·
Administrator
18,199 Posts
Bernie and Nick are having excellent week. Great doubles match (DC Future? Olympics?).

As I speak, Bernie 6-4 *1-0 Ferrer + Nick 6-1 *1-2 Nishikori. Hold on Nick!!!

61 - 80 of 100 Posts