Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Early start for Nick this time! First match on Centre Court tomorrow against Karlovic, at 2:15pm local time.

First real test for him, but he's shown that he can beat Dr. Ivo so hopefully he'll draw some extra inspiration from that fact, and stay positive throughout the match to get the win. #ComeOn

·
Registered
997 Posts
Breaks of serve looking hard to find in this match (4-4 so far). Nick's first serve percentage looking better, around the 70's, and Ivo's serve looking very strong. Every ball that nick is able to return is important.

And Nick wins the first set 7-6! (Luckily, Ivo had a double fault early in the TB) Good start, looking composed

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
Nick wins 7-6(4), 7-6(2). A great match, no breaks of serve but Nick just getting the ascendency in the tiebreaks with his great shot placement. Seemed energised but calm throughout, and looks to be in fantastic form. Definitley lifted his first serve percentage, hopefully he can maintain that improvement. The winner of Popisil/Lopez awaits.....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeeeeeessssssss!!!! :banana: :dance: :woohoo:

Another efficient win! First serve % now at 69, so improving steadily!

Lopez next? :unsure:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Awesome! Let's win this Nick! AO seeding maybe!
Well he's now at a provisional #34 in the live rankings! :grin2: The only way is up! :yeah:

So it's to be Lopez tomorrow. :| Nick has been given the first match slot again on Centre Court at 2:15pm.

Only saw the last few games of Lopez v Pospisil and Feli looked good! :scared: But alot of that might have had to do with Vasek's level dropping significantly after the first set, i suspect. :shrug: Nick is certainly in better condition that him, and should bring it to Lopez. #ComeOn

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well then... What a sad sad ending. Rather disastrous I might say. But good performance overall. At least he picked up some points.

As for Gasquet, I think Nick has a much better chance than he did at Wimbledon. I honestly think it's on Kyrgios' racquet.

·
Registered
997 Posts
IMO, Kyrgios might not be in the frame of mind yet to enable him to beat Gasquet. Needed the confidence of at least making the KL final, or winning it to propel him forwards as we get closer to the end of the year. Plus, of course, the absolute walloping that was Cincinnati can't give him much confidence. I only got a chance to watch the second set, but he did look to be playing a bit differently to his previous KL matches, letting his frustration show more and seemingly having more trouble maintaining effort levels over long periods of time. I really hope he stays on track mentally for this last stretch of the year, because some of his tennis (esp at KL) has looked like a top 20 player, and it would be great if he could get closer to that mark...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Alas, it wasn't meant to be. :sad: Lopez was just too good today! :eek: Plus as others have said, Nick seemed to be letting himself get more frustrated than he had previously in this tournament and that probably didn't help. :| And he had a slight chance on Lopez's match point but, oh well! :smash:

The commentators said that he needed to come into the net more, the way Lopez was, and I think I agree. So hopefully he'll take some learnings away from this match. Anyway, he did well to get to the semi-final and I'm really proud of the way he made the effort behaviour wise this week. :yeah:

On to Tokyo
Nick's potential path:-
R1 - Ramos-Vinolas (beat him on clay in a contentious opening match in Estoril)
R2- Gasquet :facepalm:
QF - Dimitrov (who is out of form, and Nick would've beaten him in IW if not for the ankle injury :armed:)
SF - Nishikori/Cilic
F - Crybaby Stan :scared: ( but the H2H is 1-1 so...)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Nick can play great tennis when on. For someone of his age he's beaten Federer, Nadal, Raonic and Wawrinka... That's pretty decent. If playing well I don't see why he can't go far in Tokyo. After all Gasquet isn't a top player. If he serves well and is in the zone then why not although it's unluckily. Divatrov will probably get beaten before the QF's which will leave Paire, Baghadatis or Verdasco. Although interesting matches Kyrgios should be the favorite. In the semis, his confidence would be full. An opportunity against Nishikori would be good for Kyrgios. After all he does like the big stage. I'm just hoping he stays concentrated mentally.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yayyyy!!! :cheerleader: After dropping the first set in a tiebreak (really, Nick?! :facepalm:), he fights back to take the match 6-7(3), 6-3,6-3!

And with Gasquet now out of the way he has a great chance to get to the Qtrs! :yeah:

Nick, Do.Not.Waste.This.Opportunity!!! :armed:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Good going Nick, expected him to win even after dropping the first set. Too big a game, if it is even half-firing to lose that match. Now the draw has opened up, hope he can take advantage.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
6-4, 6-2 winner from our boy! :grin2: Esp. after all the match previews siding with Bautista for the victory! :lol:

So so impressed with Nick in this match! He gave a tennis clinic out there! So mature, so efficient! Love it! :yeah:

Now we wait for Paire or Baghdatis. :unsure:

41 - 60 of 100 Posts