Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I know these hype things often fail, but this is not really to hype the guy. I mean he could very well fail to become a top 10 player, he could never win a slam etc, but that is the worst case scenario. I just would like to give my opinion on why this guy's confidence is a good thing and why he is good for Tennis.

As I was watching the final stages of the set unfold I was thinking this is a NID win for Gasquet, a top player. Whilst Gasquet is not known for his mental strength, he had 3 MPs, 40-0 on Kyrgios's serve, and surely Nick was going to choke a point. I mean this is what usually happens in these matches right? Somehow, with some solid play, Nick saves 3 match points, more MPs come, and he saves them again. This guy is oozing confidence and not looking nervous one bit. I have to leave before the match is over so I am furiously refreshing my phone to see live scores. I check Twitter and see 'GSM Kyrgios' from people I follow, then '9 match points saved'. Holy fuck, 9 match points, against a top 20 player whilst you are not even in top 100? Amazing. We can add the facts that Nick was down 2 sets to 0 and that he served the match out to love to how incredible he was today.

Now, a lot of people say Nick is cocky/confident and arrogant and say they dislike him for it. Although I think there's an air of confidence to him (expected at his age) I do not think he is arrogant at all, he is a down to earth guy with realistic expectations and the desire to achieve them. Now I see being cocky as being confident, if you are not confidence you can say goodbye to ever achieving ANYTHING in your life. Kygrios got hate for his attitude and demeanour today, but it is what ultimately won him the match. Confidence is a good thing. I always see MTFers moaning about how the youngsters are mental midgets and have no mental fortitude or lack the right attitude, whatever. But Kyrgios is not the same, Kygrios is FULL of confidence and that is an extremely good thing. It's brilliant that we finally have a youngster on tour that is willing to take it to top 20 players.

I have no doubt in my mind that Kyrgios is good for Tennis. He has a good ballbashing game and lots of people love ballbashing, and imo due to his attitude he can be very marketable. This guy is going to go places due to his brilliant attitude.

And if you hate him because of his attitude, I simply ask you this: Have you never achieved anything in your life? Because cockiness is required to do so....

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Rafa has to be careful of this pseudo-Rosol

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
100% true, solid thesis

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
cockiness is not required to achieve anything

this said, yeah, nick looks arrogant on the court. but i like him as a player, im not going to have dinner with him, so i dont care. its a good thing imo, we lack players with a strong character these days!!

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I don't get why some people even call him cocky, seems like they're just bad at judging someone's character.

Paire is cocky, Kyrgios is confident.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cockiness is not required to achieve anything

this said, yeah, nick looks arrogant on the court. but i like him as a player, im not going to have dinner with him, so i dont care. its a good thing imo, we lack players with a strong character these days!!
Yes, yes it is, even if it is only a small amount.

For example if you are going into an interview with the mindset that you are not going to get the job, all the other candidates are better than me, then you won't get the job. If you go into an interview thinking you are THE BEST out of all the candidates, the likelyhood of getting the job increases a lot.

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
Well, I actually met the guy in Sarasota and he seems a cool bloke. Was very patiently answering some clown's string of stupid questions and was very friendly with the fans.

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts

For example if you are going into an interview with the mindset that you are not going to get the job, all the other candidates are better than me, then you won't get the job. If you go into an interview thinking you are THE BEST out of all the candidates, the likelyhood of getting the job increases a lot.
This is good that you too are starting to see this, mate

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I didn't see the match except the ending. I've not seen enough of this guy. So I can't say he is cocky or anything. But I liked that he fought hard. And I think tennis needs young players. So it's good that he won. I'm not a fan of ballbashers though. So hopefully he turns out much more than that.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts

To me that's confidence, not cockiness. It seems we're not agreeing on the definition.

Cockiness is unjustified confidence, arrogance. Like Thiemo de Bakker who feels like hot shit and constantly talks about getting back to where he belongs (in his eyes), while he doesn't put the work in and is quite frankly a mug.

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
Cockiness is definitely not a requirement for success. I don't know why you would think it is.
Yes it is, are you serious?

Federer is one of the cockiest athletes in the history of sport and he's the GOAT. All high level CEO's? All cocky/confident. All politicians? Cocky/confident. Any athlete who achieved success? Cocky/confident. Any actor/actress of a high level? Very cocky and confident.

Even if they come across as humble, inside their own head, they all think they are the baddest motherfuckers out there. And if you don't believe that, you will never make it anywhere

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To me that's confidence, not cockiness. It seems we're not agreeing on the definition.

Cockiness is unjustified confidence, arrogance. Like Thiemo de Bakker who feels like hot shit and constantly talks about getting back to where he belongs (in his eyes), while he doesn't put the work in and is quite frankly a mug.
Perhaps I'm getting confused here.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

i agree with this. what OP described there isnt cockiness but confidence, imo

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes it is, are you serious?

Federer is one of the cockiest athletes in the history of sport and he's the GOAT. All high level CEO's? All cocky/confident. All politicians? Cocky/confident. Any athlete who achieved success? Cocky/confident. Any actor/actress of a high level? Very cocky and confident.

Even if they come across as humble, inside their own head, they all think they are the baddest motherfuckers out there. And if you don't believe that, you will never make it anywhere
Nice generalization there.

Most of them make it because they're confident in their own abilities, not because they are all necessarily cocky. Seriously, just look at Tim Duncan.

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
Things are looking up, mang.
Good, good.

In this life, it is not enough to see what's going on. You must DO what's going on.

You must BE what's going on.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Cockiness is definitely not a requirement for success. I don't know why you would think it is.
this. indeed usually the best arent cocky but down to earth

1 - 20 of 85 Posts