Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Re: Nick Kyrgios: Tweets & Deletes "Would Love to See Others Get Tested"

He wants to watch them wee into a bottle? I think there's a thread for that in off-topic!:p

Seriously, it's a bit of a stupid thing to tweet, because it assumes that he's the only one getting tested, when he's not. We can all argue about whether or not there is enough testing, but twice in two months doesn't seem that much, and it seems reasonable that there would be attention on a promising young gun moving fast up the rankings.

However, it does also imply that he has suspicions of other players. Whether or not he has suspicions of all other players, or just some, it what makes his tweet so interesting, and presumably why he deleted it.

Edits: Just read the link. It does read more as being annoyed at the testing, but it also sounds like general grumpiness after a long flight, and losing bags, rather than a serious attempt to criticise testing. If it is the latter, then he needs to learn more about why they do it.

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts

Getting tested regularly is a huge compliment and does wonders to one's mental confidence.

Reactions: rus59

·
Premium Member
20,725 Posts

He wants to watch them wee into a bottle? I think there's a thread for that in off-topic!:p

Seriously, it's a bit of a stupid thing to tweet, because it assumes that he's the only one getting tested, when he's not. We can all argue about whether or not there is enough testing, but twice in two months doesn't seem that much, and it seems reasonable that there would be attention on a promising young gun moving fast up the rankings.

However, it does also imply that he has suspicions of other players. Whether or not he has suspicions of all other players, or just some, it what makes his tweet so interesting, and presumably why he deleted it.
yes, and even if other players are being tested, it doesn't necessarily mean they will get caught. ;)

Kyrgios got injured in IW. I wonder if they test more on a player coming back from injury if they player had TUE for something to help the injury, maybe they want to make sure his "levels" are back to normal before he comes back on the tour? :confused:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts

others? he means some top guys never get tested?

·
|
15,773 Posts

Kyrgios needs to be removed form the tour for these comments.
Nadal was tested 4 times in the space of a month just before he returned in 2013.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

yes, and even if other players are being tested, it doesn't necessarily mean they will get caught. ;)

Kyrgios got injured in IW. I wonder if they test more on a player coming back from injury if they player had TUE for something to help the injury, maybe they want to make sure his "levels" are back to normal before he comes back on the tour? :confused:

They can't get caught if they aren't tested (excepting the Odesnik scenario), and the frequency and timing of testing has a lot to do with how effective tests can be.

It is plausible, and reasonable to test someone coming back from injury. As you say, they may have had a TUE for something that would be performance enhancing during competition, or just taken advantage of being away from the tour.

Prevention is always better than cure, so if the up and coming players think they might be tested at any time, then hopefully none will be tempted to take something to help their passage to the top tier. Not that twice in two months is that often, but it's the randomness that is important, not just the frequency.

·
|
15,773 Posts

Kyrgios should play tennis so we can see him play Nadal again :yeah:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

I actually think it's a shame that he deleted the tweet. OK, maybe not the bit about testing others, but it's good to know when players are getting tested. Nick's not been in the top 50 long, so he's still new to the whereabouts scheme. It's going to take a bit of getting used to, but as I say, prevention is better than cure, and the more players talk about getting tested, the more everyone else remembers that it might happen to them. Anything that plants doubt in the minds of potential dopers is a good thing.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

I'm not a Kyrgios fan, really (kind of neutral/withholding judgement so far), but I honestly give him a pass on this one. He had just got off a VERY long flight from Australia to Europe that got delayed for a few hours AND lost his bags. And then when he arrives they want to take his blood & urine. I'm done for like three days after a flight from San Francisco to London, and that's less than half the time. I don't think we can hold a bit of grumpiness against a guy after a trip like that, lol.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

was wondering how is that not on MTF yet :lol:

called him on it, saying smth like grow up or in that tonality

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Names. We want names.

Gyros always finds a way to disappoint. Can't even rat others out properly.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

2 times in 2 months?

My goodness, how rigorous, that's like once a month. Cruel.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts

What a pu*sy, honestly.

Stop the excuses, do your best and forget the rest.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

You missed his best tweet:

Nicholas Kyrgios @NickKyrgios · 3h 3 hours ago
BREAKING: Luggage update, one bag has arrived (luckily my rackets) although it looks like I'll be playing naked?!! @NikeTennis help me out!!

Barcelona could be more interesting then intended...

·
Registered
6,491 Posts

Twice in 2 months? Is that supposed to be excessive? Seems pretty normal for a professional athlete... Petulance.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

2 times in 2 months?

My goodness, how rigorous, that's like once a month. Cruel.
If it's twice in two months, it could be a two month gap between tests. Hardly anything, unless he's discounting in competition testing, or where he's only been asked for urine.

I still agree with the point that anyone is allowed to be grumpy after a long flight, and a blood and urine test is inconvenient and an intrusion at the best of times, so I don't think people should read too much into that. Just that he needed to reassess what he thinks is normal.

Someone probably already pointed it out to him, which is why he deleted the tweet.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Got that from @tennis_photos.

Also.. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/tennis/nick-kyrgios-twitter-rant-australian-tennis-star-accuses-itf-of-drug-testing-him-more-than-other-players/story-fnibcgxr-1227308938622

Don't know if there was already a thread on this, or if it is supposed to be here but I thought it was interesting.

It always mystifies me beyond belief when players throw a tantrum when they're tested.If being tested everytime involved having a painful needle shoved into your arm,then yeah,I would sympathise.When peeing in a cup... STFU!! Seriously,it's just a couple of minutes of your time and your ready to go.

The whole process is trying to rid the sport of foul play so every player should welcome such a move.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Meh. Long flight/change of time general grumpiness.

Whenever I visit my family in Frankfurt or England I'm in a shitty mood for the first three days. Best if he kept the tweets to himself but I understand the mood.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts

Twice in two months, yes, ladies and gentleman.. the strict Tennis anti doping regimen.

Tennis is cleans.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts