Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today Ash Barty won her maiden Roland Garros on the women's side.
What few don't know is that three years ago she quit tennis in order to follow a career as a professional cricket player. Things didn't go well, she came back tennis and here we are.
Should this be the path for Nick Kyrgios in order to conquer similar triumph? I believe so...he needs to clear his mind as he won't win anything relevant with his heart in two places.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Barty and Kyrgios have completely different personalities, it's even not comparable. And Barty is a professionalist, when Kyrgios is a tennis celebrity. He seems to feel the best in this role. So I don't think he will change.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You can't just play basketball only because you like it. He sucks at it. Just stick to being a clown and getting paid.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
If Kyrgios gets a draw like Barty he can win a slam in his current state as well

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
first off kyrgios never played basketball so i dont know where this "go back" comes from

secondly kyrgios and barty are very different cases.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
You can't just play basketball only because you like it. He sucks at it. Just stick to being a clown and getting paid.
Where is your evidence of him sucking??

·
6,247 Posts
Is there any evidence he can compete at this at a high level?
And even in the local major league down here, not just some local club team in Canberra, in the lower grades.
Barty played cricket at state level, in the national competition.
Nick would not just play at some local park competition, so I doubt he would transition well to another sport.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Um excuse you, but "things didn't go well"
Barty was actually really good at cricket. She came back because she missed tennis and had time to reflect and grow while she was away. she came back more hungry, mature, and confident.

I agree Nick is a clown, but if he does basketball he would probably get bored also and do his antics. at least I follow tennis so I enjoy his drama lil mama

·
Registered
280 Posts
What few don't know is that three years ago she quit tennis in order to follow a career as a professional cricket player. Things didn't go well, she came back tennis and here we are.
Should this be the path for Nick Kyrgios in order to conquer similar triumph? I believe so...he needs to clear his mind as he won't win anything relevant with his heart in two places.
Clearing his mind will take about 1/10 of a second, and there will be no measurable difference when he's done.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
She quit almost 5 years ago (after 2014 USO) and returned to singles tennis roughly 3 years ago (May 2016).

With Nick, that honestly might even do him some good (remember also MJ took time away from basketball to find the fire again), but I have no idea how good Nick actually is in basketball and whether he could get a roster spot in some team (as a legit player and not only as a publicity stunt for a team).

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
first off kyrgios never played basketball so i dont know where this "go back" comes from

secondly kyrgios and barty are very different cases.
He did as a youngster, based on this story from a young kid to his mid-teens. It says his first love was basketball, but that he also began playing tennis at the age of 7. It also says that he was selected for a regional basketball team at the age of 14, but apparently at 15 as Tennis Australia offered to provide some backing he and his family chose tennis:

Kyrgios’s first love was basketball. He spent countless hours watching “Space Jam” and playing the video game NBA Live. Eventually, he persuaded his parents to get a cable-TV package that included N.B.A. games. He’d wake up early to watch the Celtics and then go outside to shoot baskets, pretending that he was Paul Pierce. When he was fourteen, he was selected for a regional team. “I love the game. I love the sound of the basketball court,” he told me. “I love the team environment.”

He also played tennis, beginning group lessons when he was seven.

[...]

He was best at tennis. A local coach, Andrew Bulley, recognized Kyrgios’s talent and started giving him private lessons. He hated to practice. “As soon as it became boring, he’d lose interest,” Bulley recalled. “He wanted scoring.” Kyrgios, who was overweight and asthmatic, couldn’t run well, which meant that he had to develop an original game. When he was out of position, he learned to hit winners off his heels or the back foot, using his loose arm to generate speed.

[...]

By the time Kyrgios was ten, he was playing in Australia’s twelve-and-under national championships. By his early teens, he was travelling to Europe and Asia to play tournaments. Tennis is one of the most expensive sports to play at an élite level—travel and coaching can easily cost tens of thousands of dollars per year—and Kyrgios’s talent strained the family’s finances. Halimah recalled, “My parents had to decide, ‘Do we put in the money, all the money we have, to trust that it’s going to get somewhere?’ ” When Kyrgios was fifteen, Tennis Australia, the country’s governing body for the sport, and the Australian Institute of Sport, a national training center, offered him help in funding his career and a spot at the A.I.S. “My dad kind of just came out and said, ‘What’s easier to make it in, in Australia, playing basketball or tennis?’ Obviously, I knew the answer was tennis,” Kyrgios said.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/07/10/nick-kyrgios-the-reluctant-rising-star-of-tennis

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I know Bball, and he does not have the body for it. No chance he could make it at a professional level. Also tennis is a very demanding sport and need countless hours of practice to excell at it so I seriously doubt if he put the hours needed at the basketball court. If he was any good and had any chance he would probably go for it. There are cases of junior tennis athletes that turned to Bball once they started growing like Dirk Nowitzki and Gordon Hayward but they made the switch rather early.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts