Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Wimbledon quarterfinalist Nick Kyrgios may face a suspension and could be fined as much as $100,000 after the men’s ATP World Tour opened an investigation into his behavior.
Kyrgios was fined $12,500 for two incidents during a match against two-time major champion Stan Wawrinka at the Rogers Cup in Montreal Wednesday. The 20-year-old was heard on camera making lewd suggestions regarding Wawrinka’s girlfriend and another Australian player, Thanasi Kokkinakis.

The 41st-ranked Kyrgios has been served with a notice of investigation, the ATP said in an e-mailed statement. If found guilty of aggravated behavior or “conduct contrary to the integrity of the game,” he could be fined $100,000 and be banned from ATP tournaments for as long as three years, according to the ATP rule book.
Kyrgios has won almost $750,000 in prize money this year, bringing his career total to $1.56 million.

“I’ve been fined, it’s all been put to bed,” Kyrgios said in a news conference Thursday. When asked if he was concerned about more sanctions, he said “no, I don’t think there should be.”
Tennis Australia said the ATP fine is appropriate.
“We understand how important it is to help educate and influence him both on and off the court,” the governing body said in an e-mailed statement.

Kyrgios apologized on his Facebook page Thursday, saying his comments “were made in the heat of the moment and were unacceptable on many levels. I take full responsibility for my actions and regret what happened.” He was booed by the Canadian crowd during his third-round defeat to John Isner of the U.S. Thursday.
Earlier in the week, Kyrgios’ mother, Nill, told the Canberra Times her son would be working with fellow Australian pro and former world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt in the run-up to the U.S. Open, which begins Aug. 31 in New York.
I doubt it will happen

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
3 years? :spit: What he did was amazingly obnoxious but 3 years would be stupid and it's obviously not happening.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
He will receive a big fine and that's it.

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Ridiculous if he's banned for more than 1 tournament and even that would be rough punishment for him. It'd just show ATP double meter, Fognini with much worse racial slurs was obviously all right and he got nothing.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
This just in: @WTA boss Stacey Allaster calls for ``further sanctions'' for NIck Kyrgios after his ``crude and unacceptable'' comments

·
Registered
567 Posts
I find any talk of ban and suspension ridiculous. Give the guy a fine and that's about it. You'd think he committed genocide or something with all these absurd talks of bans :lol:

With the ATP are smart they'll just fine him otherwise they'll just put themselves in a corner and will have to start taking severe actions for any foul talks on a tennis court. Players are gonna have slip ups in what they said whether people like it or not and it should be punished especially actions like Kyrgios, however ATP needs to be careful how they handle things and should be doing so in accordance with their rules, not being influenced by some media whining etc.

Fine the guy and let's all move on.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
well i dont think its debatable at all that he's guilty banning him for 3 years would be completely ridiculous and massive over reaction. i dont think a suspension of any kind is needed . the fine is enough

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
3 years ban because he said something stupid? Like really? I mean it's not like he killed someone. It would destroy his career.

This whole thing is getting crazy btw. I disprove his type of behavior but please ... You want his head now? Smarten up people.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
No way. A fine is enough.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
3 years ban because he said something stupid? Like really? I mean it's not like he killed someone. It would destroy his career.

This whole thing is getting crazy btw. I disprove his type of behavior but please ... You want his head now? Smarten up people.
i agree completely. the scary thing is though that because people are calling for his head they might feel like they need to do more and so they might just issue some sort of ban or suspension to satisfy them.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
A fine will do nothing to curb this type of behavior. Make Nick miss a slam and suspend for a year if there is another similar transgression.

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
This just in: @WTA boss Stacey Allaster calls for ``further sanctions'' for NIck Kyrgios after his ``crude and unacceptable'' comments
And this opinion has not been made "in the heat of the moment". Seriously, WTA Mgmt, get a clue.

Will WTA order how to decide in an ATP case? They can suggest at max.
I get that she was the Tournament Director of the Rogers Cup. Till Dec. 2005, not anymore.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If he receives a suspension, that'll show that the witch hunt against him and his douche comments is more important than fair justice.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts