Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Re: Nick Kyrgios fired coach Todd Larkham

Todd probably dumped him. His attitude is horrible... so sad kids today don't have what it takes to compete with the top guys. Not mentally

·
Your visions will happen
51,006 Posts

Todd probably dumped him. His attitude is horrible... so sad kids today don't have what it takes to compete with the top guys. Not mentally
I don't know how you can say that when Nick has beaten both Nadal and Federer in the last 12 months

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

Did Kyrgios fire him, or did Larkham leave? There's a difference.

·
Bring it Home
21,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Did Kyrgios fire him, or did Larkham leave? There's a difference.
Looks like it was mutual.

Sorry, I posted the thread's title before reading the article and forgot to change.

Fixed. :D

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

I don't know how you can say that when Nick has beaten both Nadal and Federer in the last 12 months
I say that because I saw him say "get me out of here" after like 4 games against Wawrinka. Give me a break. And I like the guy. I have high hopes for him. But he needs to improve his attitude.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I can't imagine, as a coach, wanting to stick around when your guy says "I want to go lay about and play video games for a week." less than two weeks before the beginning of a major.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I can't imagine, as a coach, wanting to stick around when your guy says "I want to go lay about and play video games for a week." less than two weeks before the beginning of a major.
exactly. I am not saying the coach is blameless. When you can't motivate your charge, it's time to go. But it's not like Nick handled it great.

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The thing about Nick is that he's really weak-willed. It takes extreme character to not let the hype turn you into an arrogant, entitled, classless player.. and that's what happened with Nick. The hype ate him alive and Nick didn't make it like say, how Roger did. Although Kyrgios was probably overrated, and overhyped, there was still a spark there - but with his classless attitude and demeanor, he'll go the same way as Tomic.

Nick probably won't even make a GS QF in another 4-5 years.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The thing about Nick is that he's really weak-willed. It takes extreme character to not let the hype turn you into an arrogant, entitled, classless player.. and that's what happened with Nick. The hype ate him alive and Nick didn't make it like say, how Roger did. Although Kyrgios was probably overrated, and overhyped, there was still a spark there - but with his classless attitude and demeanor, he'll go the same way as Tomic.

Nick probably won't even make a GS QF in another 4-5 years.
I liked him and obviously won't forget his contributions to humanity at Wimbledon. But his attitude at Queens was terrible. I wish him the best. But yeah.. if I were his coach and couldn't motivate him, then I'd go too

·
Registered
35 Posts
He's had a bad year with injury making coaching even harder yet still produced some good results. If nothing else, it'll be good if a coach change brings about a change in attitude.

·
Your visions will happen
51,006 Posts
People are far too harsh on young talents and also write them off way too early, just because of some bad spells.
Exactly, Kyrgios is 20fucking years old

He does not know what's going on. He is trying to see

·
Registered
218 Posts
He has the raw power on his strokes and big serve to succeed. He's also a very confident guy and gets up for the big matches and grand slams. That's all great but two things that are concerning: his injuries so far and his lack of consistency. He seems to get injured way too much and as of now he doesn't bring a consistent level outside of GSs.

I also appreciate confidence and cockiness but its basically hot air if you have no results to back it up. I hope he knows this and makes sure his racquet does a lot of the talking. Otherwise he just looks foolish.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
He has the raw power on his strokes and big serve to succeed. He's also a very confident guy and gets up for the big matches and grand slams. That's all great but two things that are concerning: his injuries so far and his lack of consistency. He seems to get injured way too much and as of now he doesn't bring a consistent level outside of GSs.

I also appreciate confidence and cockiness but its basically hot air if you have no results to back it up. I hope he knows this and makes sure his racquet does a lot of the talking. Otherwise he just looks foolish.
like Janowicz? cocky about "beating some Murray", then never work hard enough to fulfill his potential.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I have a feeling Kyrgios initiated it because a) it deflects pressure off him for Wimbledon, and b) he gets to keep all his Wimbledon prizemoney to himself :lol:

I like Todd though, I remember McEnroe commentating one of him matches and saying 'How does he survive, winning 3 matches a year?' :hysteric:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Kyrgios needs someone like Cahill to step in and kick him up the ass.

It will be a real shame if Nick is in the wilderness for 3 years ala Tomic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts