Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Many retarded MTFers should learn from this quote... :angel: :eek:

"To hear someone say he's boring, I'm tired of hearing that (stuff). It's nauseating. Just respect what he's doing."

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
There's something really heart-warming and touching about Pete's reaction to Roger of late.

It's like Roger is the first tennis player that was ever friendly with him in any real way. Talk about finding your way into someone's heart, Roger sure has a special talent for that, all of the people with a cause to dislike him or begrudge him (Rafa, Roddick, Pete) fall over themselves talking nice things about him.

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Pete is smitten :inlove:. What he doesn't know is that Roger invited him to his room because he wanted to hang out with Brigette :p.

Seriously though, didn't Sampras ever have close friends in the tour?

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
What he doesn't know is that Roger invited him to his room because he wanted to hang out with Brigette :p.

:lol: :worship:

I mean it's all sweet and nice but "new best friend" reminded me of a time when I was 5 years old:lol:

On a serious note, Fed really does something when people meet him:D

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Seriously though, didn't Sampras ever have close friends in the tour?
I guess not.

I mean, we know who Roger hands with. The Swiss guys (who aren't competing him in the Grand Slams), Tim Henman, and didn't I hear something about dinner with Carlos Moya once? I have a feeling there are tones of players he could break bread with.

Who would Pete hang with? Agassi? Courier was a friend, wasn't he? But also an intense rival.

Plus, didn't we hear Pete was somewhat of an umpopular boy in school, etc? Very single-minded about his Tennis? I have a feeling that wasn't the case with Roger, he had better social experiences than Pete in general, and finds it easier to reach out to people and not fear rejection.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Pete has always been a bit of an 'isolationist' who kept to himself and stayed focused on his tennis. He was friendly to his competitors, but he wasn't close to any of them at all. He was closest to his coaches, Gullickson and Annacone, it seems.

Pretty sure he was joking with the 'new best friend' comment. He used the word 'like' in that sentence, and he rarely does that.

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
I think what Roger did, i.e. the exhibitions really shows what a nice person he is.

You can say it was for the money all you want, but in my opinion, with the all the money and smarts he has, Federer isn't desperate to play an exho to pocket some cash.

Add to it, that he had absolutely nothing to gain. If he won, he beat an old retired player, if he lost, then he got beaten by and old retired player, and he would get criticism for that.

So why did he do it? I am biased, being a Sampras fan, but part of me thinks he mostly did it for Pete. Out of respect, he gave his former idol a chance to play him. And he pretty much carried the match and let Pete have a lot of fun, and all the spotlight.

I respect Federer a lot for that. And I'm grateful that he did it, because I got a chance to watch my favorite player in action again. And like Pete says, he really didn't have to do this, especially after a long grueling season.

So Roger: thank you, you're a true gentleman.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Pretty decent interview with Mr. Sampras on 660 The Fan in New York. He talks about Roger, Rafa, etc.

Just scroll down and you will find the link for Pete Sampras podcast interview:

http://www.wfan.com/pages/119297.php

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I remember a few years ago when Roger was up-and-coming I met him in Miami on tournament premises. Not many fans knew him at that time and got to talk. He was amazing! He was very genuinely interested in talking and I found it very refreshing. Even then at that young age his social skills were definitely standing out.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
With everything else that he has going for him, Roger, in person, also clearly has serious charisma. Virtually anyone who has spent time around him ends up falling over themselves to say nice things about him.

It's almost too perfect - someone somewhere must have a beef with the guy surely? :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think what Roger did, i.e. the exhibitions really shows what a nice person he is.

You can say it was for the money all you want, but in my opinion, with the all the money and smarts he has, Federer isn't desperate to play an exho to pocket some cash.

Add to it, that he had absolutely nothing to gain. If he won, he beat an old retired player, if he lost, then he got beaten by and old retired player, and he would get criticism for that.

So why did he do it? I am biased, being a Sampras fan, but part of me thinks he mostly did it for Pete. Out of respect, he gave his former idol a chance to play him. And he pretty much carried the match and let Pete have a lot of fun, and all the spotlight.

I respect Federer a lot for that. And I'm grateful that he did it, because I got a chance to watch my favorite player in action again. And like Pete says, he really didn't have to do this, especially after a long grueling season.

So Roger: thank you, you're a true gentleman.
:worship::worship::worship:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That's why I hate when people say Fed lacks charisma...then why do people who meet him genuinely like him so much? Does he have any enemies on the tour? Not that I can recall...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seriously though, can anyone tell me if Pete has ever spoke so 'protectively' about anyone or even a tennis player in particular?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts