Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coric 0/11 on BPs against one of the biggest headcases on ATP tour. Cilic's legacy could be in danger

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Mayer got lucky and aces on a lot of them.

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
Borna kept missing and missing on all BPs, some of them were aces, but many of them could have been converted.
At this point he should rethink his overall game, since it was a winnable match and he blew it...

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,292 Posts
Tennis won.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
This was a Mayer vs. Mayer match. Coric did almost nothing to get to those BP's. Mayer went easily 15-30, 15-40 down, after UE's mostly and became clutch on BP's. I counted at least 7-8 occasions when he was serving terribly with deuce and then being a BP down, produced an ace or a very good serve. In the last three service games of Mayer, there were 1-2 winners by Coric.

Coric will obviously be a big threat in a couple of years but that's hardly a good thing. If he gets his head straight he'll be barely beatable but also (already is) barely watchable.
Djokovic is what's wrong with tennis today, Coric is what's going to be wrong with tennis tomorrow.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don´t think it was the loss that Coric fans should be worried about - his on court behaviour was pretty bad, completely lost the plot mentally which cost him the match. Mayer was there for the taking in this 2nd set. I guess it is normal for his age but Coric definitely needs to tame that and stay focused.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Borna squanderer of BPs...

Mayer tortured him a bit, but it looked as if he was torturing himself just as much with every passing bp. Three consecutive Mayer service games that played out basically the same way..

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Mayer is one of those players that Coric Will routine in 1-2 years...just a matter of time
So what you're saying is he needs to wait for Mayer to get old and decline?

Reactions: rus59

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
I like Coric but he has had a lot of nice draws this year and this week was another and he got routined when he met the first decent player he faced.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
That high number of BPs for Coric is a tad deceptive, though. Many of those weren't exactly earned by Coric. Mayer had incessant cycles of clowning and serving lights out, as if it didn't matter who he was playing.

But then, you can't attribute that solely to Mayer; that's how so many of matches involving Coric tend to go. The kid forces his opponent to fight himself first and foremost (and hopefully implode).

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well played Mayer, his experience making all the difference. Ćorić really need to improve his return otherwise he will continue to squander break points for a long long time. (He's been squandering them for a while now)

Always funny to watch Ćorić rage, he is a Croat after all :D

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
I like Coric but he has had a lot of nice draws this year and this week was another and he got routined when he met the first decent player he faced.
He has some luck with draws but he has had the gumption to take advantage of them. It has resulted in him making the top 50 before his game is really ready for it which has some downsides but I think he is tough enough to deal with them and will benefit him long term.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts