Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even before this I expect Simon to win this due to Thiem just barely being defeated by Steve Johnson, only to be averted by such unclutch performance. Here, he was even worse IMO especially on the 2nd Serve -- Simon most of the time just ate it up, probably not getting enough pace on the ball during those times. Served high actually by the livescore but from the looks of it, it doesn't. Had 4 DFs I think. Was very error prone, and did miss some chances when Simon was having 15-40s. That said, Simon should've finished this in 2 IMO. He was actually a break up in the 2nd Set 4-2 I think but lost the next 4 games. Thiem was also struggling in his serve even in those times while Simon stayed a little bit solid on the latter parts of the 3rd Set.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts
Re: Nice R2: Simon def. Thiem 6-3 5-7 6-2

Simon shouldn't be happy. Dominic was at 40%, played bad, was tired, an error machine and not very fast today and still he managed to win a set :lol:

The next time when Dom is healthy Simon will get beaten like in Indian Wells.

Please regroup Dom and come back fit (and healthy!) to RG.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

Well i saw this coming. Domi can be happy he took a set but i predict a first round loss at roland garros unless he cleans his game up

Its funny. domi is quite easily the best player on tour right now without a quarterfinal to his name and yet he has some huge wins. He's the petra cetovska of the atp tour right now

·
Registered
623 Posts

No surprise, and not bad for Thiem as he appears to still be recovering from his recent illness. Should be in much better form for RG.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts

Well i saw this coming. Domi can be happy he took a set but i predict a first round loss at roland garros unless he cleans his game up

Its funny. domi is quite easily the best player on tour right now without a quarterfinal to his name and yet he has some huge wins. He's the petra cetovska of the atp tour right now
:spit: Dominic has 2 QFs on the ATP-tour. In 2013 in Vienna and Kitzbühel.

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

To tell the truth I am not sure if just how many days of recovery would be OK for Thiem even on RG. I think he should prepare for grass more IMO, although I am not sure how his game is on grass.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts

To tell the truth I am not sure if just how many days of recovery would be OK for Thiem even on RG. I think he should prepare for grass more IMO, although I am not sure how his game is on grass.
Oh please... he just won a set against Simon playing bad and being tired.
I don't know why everyone is so pessimistic. Of course he won't reach a QF, but he is only 20 and still has to learn a lot.
It was a good match considering he was an error machine and tired today :shrug:

·
Banned
15 Posts

Good riddance. What an overrated mug Thiem is.....couldn't even beat a disgusting pusher like Simon.

·
Registered
976 Posts

Simon shouldn't be happy. Dominic was at 40%, played bad, was tired, an error machine and not very fast today and still he managed to win a set :lol:

The next time when Dom is healthy Simon will get beaten like in Indian Wells.

Please regroup Dom and come back fit (and healthy!) to RG.
Gilles was atrocious during the IW and Miami swing, I wouldn't take much from that match at all. Thiem could and probably will eventually be a better player than Gilles but right now when both are playing at their normal levels, he's not.

As for this match, Thiem was well below his best today but Gilles still has zero confidence so he couldn't close out the second set when he had the break lead. Should have been an easy straight sets win but any win is good at this point for Gilles so he can regain confidence.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts

"+33 634662xxx, call me on my French phone. You gonna get wet to my french accent. I'll rub my hairy torso." - Gilles Simon

Thiem responded not so well.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts

:yippee::yippee::yippee: Not happy with the way he won, but at least it's a win

Thiem is so overrated anyway.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts

Good to see that Dominic gets more and more haters. That means he is on the right way :D :yeah:

·
Registered
15,733 Posts

ATP continuously shitting themselves atm

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

The score was 6-3 4-6 6-2, wasn't it?

Anyway, this is not a bad (or unexpected) loss. Now he has 4 or 5 days to prep for RG and hopefully make an impact there.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts

Credit to Thiem for even winning a match here after his illness. Wasn't going to win with his second serve today though.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts

i was talking about this year. I thought people would know that but i guess i should have specified
I should have noticed that, sorry :lol: I was already wondering since you are a Dom-Fan as well :p

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

Gilles was atrocious during the IW and Miami swing, I wouldn't take much from that match at all. Thiem could and probably will eventually be a better player than Gilles but right now when both are playing at their normal levels, he's not.

As for this match, Thiem was well below his best today but Gilles still has zero confidence so he couldn't close out the second set when he had the break lead. Should have been an easy straight sets win but any win is good at this point for Gilles so he can regain confidence.
Exactly! Gilles was playing like crap at Indian Wells, and his current level is still way worse than it should be.
Simon had like 10 break points in the 2nd set, should have won it in 2.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts