Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Klizan made too many errors in the 2nd and 3rd sets, however I felt Gulbis improved considerably. :worship:

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Gulbis shouldn't be playing tournaments just before slams if he wants to improve his GS results.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Terrible conditions with that wind - the court was absolute mess, I could barely see the ball. Conditions improved as the match went on, but still...

I don't know how to feel about this result. On one hand it's great to see Gulbis fighting and coming back from being a set down and really improving his performance as the match goes on (GOATbis made an apperance in the 3rd set). On the other hand, Vulturbis winning in a long and physical match = the worst result possible in the current situation as he could burn himself out before RG even starts. I still hope Gulbis crashes out as soon as possible - he should set his mind on trying to figure out how not to embarrass himself at the slam again. For starters, hopefully he avoids drawing Haider-Maurer, Querrey, Johnson or any other of those floating titans in the first round :spit:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gulbis shouldn't be playing tournaments just before slams if he wants to improve his GS results.
Yeah but he is also in search of points, these types of tournaments which he can vulture where no top players are playing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
some courtesy exchange between Gulbis and Klizan at the end of the match :lol: (wonder about what?)

horrid fh Ernesto, horrid

but win is a win :yeah: just don't lose to much power before RG, nice tank in next round would be desirable

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Apparently (if one can believe twitter) after the match Klizan said to Gulbis "I thought you changed, but you didn't at all." :spit: I wonder what was that about.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bad collapse from Klizan, including a completely botched easy volley putaway to hand Gulbis match point. Gulbis played much more relaxed and confident in the third, some nice dropshots and very good defending at times, but the forehand in general was very poor, all Klizan had to do was direct the ball to that wing and was 75% likely to draw an error.

Did anyone catch what they said to each other at the end?

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Apparently (if one can believe twitter) after the match Klizan said to Gulbis "I thought you changed, but you didn't at all." :spit: I wonder what was that about.
I was going to ask this too. I was watching the final moments of the match in BET365 small window without audio and got the impression Klizan really said something Gulbis didn't like it in the handshake. :lol:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Exactly this. That too when he has a minor chance to pull of an upset. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Even though Klizan lost today, I have him as a small dark horse on RG.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
im conflicted.

im happy he won the match but, like others i dont see a need for him to be here. he's setting himself up for another early slam exit.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
im conflicted.

im happy he won the match but, like others i dont see a need for him to be here. he's setting himself up for another early slam exit.
+1

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
"Last two weeks I was struggling with my health, I was always on the border of getting sick. I didn't practice for 3 days (before Nice) and I came here just the day before the match. (About the match) Tough condition but I managed. Just put the ball in, it wasn't the best tennis."

After reading this I kind of understand why he chose to play here. But I still don't want him to go any deeper here, but I don't see him losing to Tursunov on clay.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Oh would you all please stop about what a mistake it is to play week before slam! Firstly as far as I recall Ernests never does that and what good has that done for him before? And secondly he seems to have a great team around him who most probably take much more informed decisions than you behind your pc screens.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts