Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mathieu and Almagro would be proud of Johnson. :lol:

He served for the match in both 2nd and 3rd sets. Had a match point when serving in the 2nd set and double-faulted. Another match point on Thiem's serve on 3rd set. Also 4-1 up (2 MB's) in the 2nd set TB.

Epic choking.

As for Thiem, not good match really, but a win is a win. Simon next.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts
Dominic didn't want to win (I didn't see one fistpump during the whole match, his body language was Melzer-like :help: ) but Johnson couldn't :lol:

But really, I never saw Dominic so emotionless like today. I think the viral infection still bothers him.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The better player lost.

I feel dirty after witnessing the 2nd and 3rd set...Epic mugginess from those two - DFs on match points and in TB, missed smashes on BPs, routine voleys into the net in crucial moments...just man oh man...

Thiem needs to improve movement, shot-selection and put a little more topspin on his shots...especially on clay - he was spraying errors left, right and center...

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts
The better player lost.

I feel dirty after witnessing the 2nd and 3rd set...Epic mugginess from those two - DFs on match points and in TB, missed smashes on BPs, routine voleys into the net in crucial moments...just man oh man...

Thiem needs to improve movement, shot-selection and put a little more topspin on his shots...especially on clay - he was spraying errors left, right and center...
He had an viral infection the last 2 weeks, he did spit blood and lost 5 kilos. Against Wawrinka he played much better. Today he had an off-day.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
That was awesome. Spectacularly absurd from Johson - serves for match having not been broken, dfs mp, dfs bp, loses tb courtesy of df. Gets break in 3rd, gives it straight back. Gets another, serves for match, chokes it to love. Next service game, chokes it to love.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
this is for sure one of the top 3 chokes i have ever seen in my whole life.

6-3 *6-5 *40-30 and *A-40
6-3 6-6 **4-1
6-3 6-7 5-2* and deuce at Thiems service game
6-3 6-7 *5-3 broken to 0
6-3 6-7 *5-5 broken to 0
6-3 6-7 5-6* 40-30* and A-40* to break back

6-3 6-7 5-7

They really should give an award for this.

·
Your visions will happen
47,134 Posts
Well, he lost, but it is good to see Johnson play such a tight match with a form player like Thiem who has beaten Wawrinka. On Euro clay no less. Steve should have some good confidence heading into Paris now.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, he lost, but it is good to see Johnson play such a tight match with a form player like Thiem who has beaten Wawrinka. On Euro clay no less. Steve should have some good confidence heading into Paris now.
He surely looked much improved from the last time I saw him. With his big serve + forehand combination he could be a threat in the american hard court season and maybe a future top 30, but needs to work on backhand (too much slicing) and mental issues (obviously).

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Johnson got inspiration from his USC Trojan knocking off Virginia yesterday but sadly couldn't close like they could

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
How on earth does losing a match in this particular fashion promote any confidence?

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
well it was ugly..hell it was hideous but he won

i dont give him much chance against simon thought, not playing like this and so listless

he obviously didnt come here expecting much, maybe not even a win

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
How on earth does losing a match in this particular fashion promote any confidence?
If anyone can find confidence from a loss like this, it's JG. Hell, he finds confidence from double bagels :worship:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thiem with a good win under difficult circumstances after the recent illness. Johnson has a solid serve-forehand combination when it's working -- maybe he can find some inspiration from almost knocking off a much better opponent.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts