Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tiafoe was given a second chance in Nice but he couldn't capitalise on it.
Duckworth played a really solid match and took it in three sets. First two were really tight. Tiafoe broke down in the third.

Despite some MTF members constantly reminding us of his 3rd set stats I think Tiafoe is closer to a headcase than a clutch player at the moment. His amazing 3rd set win stat mainly came from futures tournaments and I believe he has to work a lot on his mentality which, along with his movement and inconsistency, is his biggest problem (standard for a teenager). Also, seems like European clay isn't his best surface at the moment.

With that said, Tiafoe is a great talent, he's doing very good for his age and I have no doubt he'll play a big role in the future of tennis.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Tiafoe is over ranked. He has most of his points from the US clay court tournaments which are always weak, he may struggle a lot now his ranking will get him in certain tournaments his tennis might not be ready for.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Tiafoe is over ranked. He has most of his points from the US clay court tournaments which are always weak, he may struggle a lot now his ranking will get him in certain tournaments his tennis might not be ready for.
What do you suggest? That he return his ranking points to the pool?

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think he's overranked. His game is definitely CH level at the moment and if he gets ATP main draw WCs he should take them.
However, I don't know how well he'll do on European clay or on grass.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
He took a set out of a more experienced Top 100 player. How can he be overranked? He's 17 and not even in the Top 200.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
He's played 2 matches this week against modest opposition (but better than most in those US challangers) that you might easily draw in decent challengers and lost both.

He's talented but it is hard to tell where he is really as we have seen US players feast on those US clay court challengers before and then look out of their depth after.

I'm not saying he is bad or anything just that spell playing in the US (and you can understand why he did it) might have inflated his progress a bit before he is ready.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
You're judging his game by only 2 matches, and consider him overranked, like he didn't play any match before them. Did you see any other matches with him? Those challengers in the US that you criticize, did you watch any match? Do you know they were played on Har-Tru, and not Red Clay? Do you know that rankings extend to the last 52 weeks?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
You're judging his game by only 2 matches, and consider him overranked, like he didn't play any match before them. Did you see any other matches with him? Those challengers in the US that you criticize, did you watch any match? Do you know they were played on Har-Tru, and not Red Clay? Do you know that rankings extend to the last 52 weeks?
That is exactly my point, they are played on a surface that most players never even bother playing on. The only reason to go over to the US to play on that surface is to try and gain some cheap points.

He earned 100 points from his time playing 3 US Har-Tru challengers, to earn the same this week he would have had to beat Duckworth, Simon and Coric most probably and beat a top 100 player in qualies.

He scored 1 win over top 140 players in those US clay court tournaments.

Some points come cheaper and easier than others to gain.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
That is exactly my point, they are played on a surface that most players never even bother playing on. The only reason to go over to the US to play on that surface is to try and gain some cheap points.

He earned 100 points from his time playing 3 US Har-Tru challengers, to earn the same this week he would have had to beat Duckworth, Simon and Coric most probably and beat a top 100 player in qualies.

He scored 1 win over top 140 players in those US clay court tournaments.

Some points come cheaper and easier than others to gain.
But his ranking prevented him from accessing a higher tier tournament where he could face better ranked players. He earned a wild card in the RG for those challengers. Do you think it would be wise not to play there for fear of seeming over-ranked? His game is challenger level, the points he earned in challengers are well earned. Facing top 100 players is another thing though. He only came to Nice trying to build his game into Roland Garros, getting used to the surface, etc. Judging him by his matches here is very unfair. His match against Duckworth was the first time ever he played against a top 100 player. He barely entered the Top 300, he's the best 1998 born ranked player. Overranked? That's too harsh IMO.

His generation mate, Kozlov, who's 50 places under him, is still playing futures. It's not that Tiafoe's overranked, it's that he's not ready for main tour level.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
But his ranking prevented him from accessing a higher tier tournament where he could face better ranked players. He earned a wild card in the RG for those challengers. Do you think it would be wise not to play there for fear of seeming over-ranked? His game is challenger level, the points he earned in challengers are well earned. Facing top 100 players is another thing though. He only came to Nice trying to build his game into Roland Garros, getting used to the surface, etc. Judging him by his matches here is very unfair. His match against Duckworth was the first time ever he played against a top 100 player. He barely entered the Top 300, he's the best 1998 born ranked player. Overranked? That's too harsh IMO.
He lost in straights to a guy ranked 95 in qualies.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
He lost in straights to a guy ranked 95 in qualies.
Do you just want to throw the kitchen sink at this 17-year old, or do you also think that top tenners losing to -100 ranked players are also over-ranked?

·
Super Moderator
18,668 Posts
I agree with Sammy - total waste of talent since he hasn't won a 500 or 1000 tournament yet at 17 years old... he'll never amount to anything.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Heaven forbid someone might have an opinion on this forum that doesn't involve the word mug or weak era.

I think he'll stagnate from here or even go backwards because I don't think his tennis is good enough to keep his ranking increasing as it is without him finding somewhere else to play that has weaker draws too.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
Heaven forbid someone might have an opinion on this forum that doesn't involve the word mug or weak era.
Opinions are always good as long as enough logic backs them up.

You said the guy was overranked, you provided your opinion to that. I provided my opinion, was followed by other people supporting it. I didn't say the opinion was wrong, just harsh, and maybe a little too early.

Now, saying that he will stagnate or go down from this is a whole different story. Truth be told, we don't know what will happen.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If Slasher is pursuing an argument with you, you're definitely wrong.

On topic - he's ranked 291. That ranking puts him in the category of borderline Challenger/Futures players. He is without a doubt playing better than that, and two losses to top 100 players (one in 3 sets to a guy who's very capable on clay) doesn't change that.

·
Registered
282 Posts

I think he'll stagnate from here or even go backwards because I don't think his tennis is good enough to keep his ranking increasing as it is without him finding somewhere else to play that has weaker draws too.
He has 2 pts to defend until February, so I'm thinking the chances of him falling might not happen....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts