1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
167 Posts
Totally forgotten? I hope not. He is the GAthleteOAT.
His diet was similar to that of Nole btw.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's barely ever talked about today, he was huge sport figure back in 80s 90s. Haven't seen him around at any kind of event in ages.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last time I remember seeing him was his disastrous attempt as a singer, he forgot the words trying to sing the national anthem at an nba game lol

Reactions: allpro

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
He's barely ever talked about today, he was huge sport figure back in 80s 90s. Haven't seen him around at any kind of event in ages.
"Lightning" struck him.

I mean, he's overshadowed by Usain "Lightning" Bolt, the greatest sprinter ever.

·
justice for all
16,227 Posts
That long jump competition in 1991 in Tokio between Lewis and Powell was something else.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Last time I remember seeing him was his disastrous attempt as a singer, he forgot the words trying to sing the national anthem at an nba game lol
i remember that game. he didn't forget the lyrics - it was a self-indulgent version of the anthem and he couldn't hit the high notes 😂. and to add insult to injury, mj was in the house..

·
Registered
167 Posts
"Lightning" struck him.

I mean, he's overshadowed by Usain "Lightning" Bolt, the greatest sprinter ever.
Bolt may be the greatest sprinter ever but when it comes to the track (and medals): Lewis > Bolt
We just forgot about him apparently.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
That long jump competition in 1991 in Tokio between Lewis and Powell was something else.
Ya, that was awesome! I really liked him in the long jump - showed his full range of athleticism...

I also like Ben Johnson repeatedly kicking his arse!!!! Ya, I know, but they were all dirty at the time, and they targeted Ben and basically ruined his life while others got off scott free.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i remember that game. he didn't forget the lyrics - it was a self-indulgent version of the anthem and he couldn't hit the high notes 😂. and to add insult to injury, mj was in the house..

Lewis just started the anthem in a higher key than he should have. The high note that he flubbed was a B flat after all.

If he'd have taken everything down a tone or so (high notes at an A flat rather than a B flat) he'd have been fine I suspect.

Reactions: Ilkae

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lewis was a kingpin in track and field but he never set a world record. Major hole in resume.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And not that I buy this argument (I am a Fed fan afterall!), but he got thrashed by his biggest rival on the world's biggest stage...
Thrashed badly. And it came out they all were cheating (that excellent track and field 100m sprint doc from a couple years ago, forgot the title 9.12 or something?

Carl Lewis was great but he had American privilege, media capital of the world is or was in America. Lewis, Tyson, Holyfield, Jordan, Sampras, Agassi, were the last symbols of when America dominated most sports.

Reactions: slamjunky

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thrashed badly. And it came out they all were cheating (that excellent track and field 100m sprint doc from a couple years ago, forgot the title 9.12 or something?

Carl Lewis was great but he had American privilege, media capital of the world is or was in America. Lewis, Tyson, Holyfield, Jordan, Sampras, Agassi, were the last symbols of when America dominated most sports.
Carl was the real thing. He was born for the track and field. A physical genius. I was still young when I was still into the Olympics and Carl was the one who made them special to me. Except for the loser Ben Johnson, I do not recall any of this rivals, despite his apparently negative H2H.

Now is the era of female US athletes.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Carl was the real thing. He was born for the track and field. A physical genius. I was still young when I was still into the Olympics and Carl was the one who made them special to me. Except for the loser Ben Johnson, I do not recall any of this rivals, despite his apparently negative H2H.

Now is the era of female US athletes.
That loser Johnson was his biggest rival - and he smoked Lewis. Not useable of the negative H2H you are taking about.

Lewis was a phenomenal champion, but was arrogant and protected by the US media and track organizations.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
at least his arrogance and cockiness was not nearly as offensive as lance armstrong or floyd mayweather.

Reactions: slamjunky

·
Registered
167 Posts
That loser Johnson was his biggest rival - and he smoked Lewis. Not useable of the negative H2H you are taking about.

Lewis was a phenomenal champion, but was arrogant and protected by the US media and track organizations.
See, this is it. To me, Carl was bigger than a single discipline or rivalry. Let me show you:

How do you compare Johnson or Bolt to that?

Carl was lucky to have participated in two US Olympics during his career. I'm sure this has added to what you call arrogance and US media protection.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
See, this is it. To me, Carl was bigger than a single discipline or rivalry. Let me show you:

How do you compare Johnson or Bolt to that?

Carl was lucky to have participated in two US Olympics during his career. I'm sure this has added to what you call arrogance and US media protection.
I think maybe you misread me - I think Lewis was an amazing athlete, and I loved him in the long jump. I think he was more multi-faceted than Bolt and Johnson for sure. I didn’t like his arrogance and his derision of Johnson, before and after the scandal - he had preferential treatment for sure. This does not, however, take away from his great accomplishments.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts