Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
9,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tournament Favourites to win
* M.Berrettini - Top seed here and a really easy draw until SF. His last two matches were very poor and he has yet to reach a final on ATP hard
Prediction = SF

* F.Fognini - Starts off with a Q, which suits him as he is not always a fast starter but he seems to be playing well in practice and is better on hard than people think. Although its almost a year since he played official on hard court.
Prediction = RUP

* A.de Minaur - I have not seen an easier ATP path to a SF. He will be too solid here. Has the mind and style to take this.
Prediction = W

* D.Goffin - A horrid season were he seemed to be hit hard by hus infection. He only won 1 match more than he lost. He also has no title since 2017. Had an ok USO and really needs to show up here.
Prediction = SF

Fun/Interestin Facts
  • Kecmanovic is the only former finalists in the draw.
  • Im naked currently.
  • This event was previously on grass.
  • Zuk ranked 262 got in as a direct entry.
  • All 3 WCs are given to local Turks. None are in the top 300.
  • There will be 2 challengers here this month too. Many of this draw will probably be involved.
  • Zuk has won his last two tournaments he has entered

Best Matches of Rd1
J. Chardy v R.Albot
PH.Herbert v D.Goffin

Comments
This will probably be the farewell tour of 37 yo M.Jaziri. He faces A.de Minaur in round one. He must have had nothing to blackmail the director with.

Basilashvili has a big shot at winning back to back ATP matches for the first time in 25 months. Some times all you needs a fresh start.

Whole Herbert v Goffin is billed as a Round 1 match to watch, Goffin leads 5-0 so probably nothing to see here.

Italians have been doing well and Caruso/Travaglia have both improved a lot. Will be nice to see hiw they do here, both have hard openers.

What Bublik will show up? Get popcorn ready either way i guess. Same could be asked about Kuhn to a different extent.

Gerasimov and Ruusuvuori are both equipped to give problems here but both are both mentally fragile.

Dark Horse
J. Struff and M.Kecmanovic

·
9,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
SATURDAY, JANUARY 9

(23) Alex de Minaur (4) v (564) Adrian Andreev (Q)
(40)
Nikoloz Basilashvili (6) v (309) Altuğ Çelikbilek (WC)
(253)
Nicola Kuhn v (16) David Goffin (2)
(75)
Stefano Travaglia v (87) Emil Ruusuvuori

·
9,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And there is Basilashvili first 2 wins in row since 25 months

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I like Basilashvili, but come on: he couldn't have picked two easier opponents if the tour had let him pick two guys off the street in Tblisi.

·
9,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like Basilashvili, but come on: he couldn't have picked two easier opponents if the tour had let him pick two guys off the street in Tblisi.
Absolutely. But its probably what he needed to wake upp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts