Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would have a little fun and group all the NextGen and NextGen to be players into different quadrants: Top 10 potential, top 20 or lower, and others to watch. These are just my predictions so feel free to discuss and offer your opinions as well.

Top 10 potential-
Alexander Zverev- Already ranked this high but has yet to make a deep run at a major
Borna Coric- Clearly on the rise
Stefanos Tsitsipas- Remarkable what he’s already accomplished at his age
Daniil Medvedev, Karen Khachanov- Great Russian Duo
Denis Shapovalov, Alex De Minaur- Two VERY talented young players
Frances Tiafoe- There is no denying his talent, but can he put it all together?
Felix Auger Aliassime- Phenomenal all-around player for 18, on cusp of top 100
Nick Kyrgios- I still believe he can make a run to the top as he gets older
Kyle Edmund- Will be top 10 sooner rather than later

Fritz, Rublev, H. Chung- A little hard to read how these players may fare but Top 20 is a start

Top 20 possiblity, more likely lower-
Matteo Berrettini- Matteo has had some impressive wins this year
Ugo Humbert- Has been on a roll this year
Christian Garin- We all remember Garin from beating Zverev at the junior French and is hot lately
Jaume Munar, Hubert Hurkacz, Lloyd Harris- Could all be decent players
Michael Mmoh- Another young American just hit top 100
Reilly Opelka- I believe its only a matter of time before he breaks out
Corentin Moutet, Casper Ruud, Miomir Kecmanovic, Alexei Popyrin- All of these players are still young and are great for their age but have yet to prove themselves at the ATP level
Rudolf Molleker- Of all the players in this quadrant I think Molleker is most equipped for make a run for a top 10 career
Jurij Rodionov- Fun player to watch, has shown he can win big matches
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina- Has a had a great year, finalist at the Szczecin Challenger
Nicola Kuhn- Injuries have slowed his progress but he has showed flashes of greatness
Yibing Wu- China’s future

More players to keep an eye on for possible future success-
Chun Hsin Tseng- His success in juniors has been unreal, has had a great start to his pro career as well
Thiago Seyboth Wild- US open junior champ, can really hit the ball with a lot of power
Emil Ruusuvuori- Could Finland have its next great player on their hands?
Zsombor Piros- Small kid but packs a punch and his talented
Yuta Shimizu- Very small as well, only 5’4 but is extremely quick
Jack Draper- Where has this kid came from in recent weeks? Watch out
Donaldson, Kozlov, Paul- Can they get their careers back on track?
Thanasi Kokkinakis- Can he get back to his form of the past?
Gianluigi Quinzi- Can he live up to his junior hype?
Korean trio- Lee, Kwon, Y. Chung- Would love to see one or two of them have a solid career
Mikael Ymer- Still feel he’s better than Elias
Yosuke Watanuki- Watched him a few times during his big challenger wins this year
Jay Clarke- Has shown he can be solid
Mate Valkusz- Former #1 junior has had a good year
Miladinovic, Korda, Baez, Nakashima- Lowly ranked and young but are good junior players
Lorenzo Musetti- Most proven born ’02 player in juniors

If there are any more that you believe I should have included, feel free to add and offer your opinions!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I thought I would have a little fun and group all the NextGen and NextGen to be players into different quadrants: Top 10 potential, top 20 or lower, and others to watch. These are just my predictions so feel free to discuss and offer your opinions as well.

Top 10 potential-
Alexander Zverev- Already ranked this high but has yet to make a deep run at a major
Borna Coric- Clearly on the rise
Stefanos Tsitsipas- Remarkable what he’s already accomplished at his age
Daniil Medvedev, Karen Khachanov- Great Russian Duo
Denis Shapovalov, Alex De Minaur- Two VERY talented young players
Frances Tiafoe- There is no denying his talent, but can he put it all together?
Felix Auger Aliassime- Phenomenal all-around player for 18, on cusp of top 100
Nick Kyrgios- I still believe he can make a run to the top as he gets older
Kyle Edmund- Will be top 10 sooner rather than later

Fritz, Rublev, H. Chung- A little hard to read how these players may fare but Top 20 is a start

Top 20 possiblity, more likely lower-
Matteo Berrettini- Matteo has had some impressive wins this year
Ugo Humbert- Has been on a roll this year
Christian Garin- We all remember Garin from beating Zverev at the junior French and is hot lately
Jaume Munar, Hubert Hurkacz, Lloyd Harris- Could all be decent players
Michael Mmoh- Another young American just hit top 100
Reilly Opelka- I believe its only a matter of time before he breaks out
Corentin Moutet, Casper Ruud, Miomir Kecmanovic, Alexei Popyrin- All of these players are still young and are great for their age but have yet to prove themselves at the ATP level
Rudolf Molleker- Of all the players in this quadrant I think Molleker is most equipped for make a run for a top 10 career
Jurij Rodionov- Fun player to watch, has shown he can win big matches
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina- Has a had a great year, finalist at the Szczecin Challenger
Nicola Kuhn- Injuries have slowed his progress but he has showed flashes of greatness
Yibing Wu- China’s future

More players to keep an eye on for possible future success-
Chun Hsin Tseng- His success in juniors has been unreal, has had a great start to his pro career as well
Thiago Seyboth Wild- US open junior champ, can really hit the ball with a lot of power
Emil Ruusuvuori- Could Finland have its next great player on their hands?
Zsombor Piros- Small kid but packs a punch and his talented
Yuta Shimizu- Very small as well, only 5’4 but is extremely quick
Jack Draper- Where has this kid came from in recent weeks? Watch out
Donaldson, Kozlov, Paul- Can they get their careers back on track?
Thanasi Kokkinakis- Can he get back to his form of the past?
Gianluigi Quinzi- Can he live up to his junior hype?
Korean trio- Lee, Kwon, Y. Chung- Would love to see one or two of them have a solid career
Mikael Ymer- Still feel he’s better than Elias
Yosuke Watanuki- Watched him a few times during his big challenger wins this year
Jay Clarke- Has shown he can be solid
Mate Valkusz- Former #1 junior has had a good year
Miladinovic, Korda, Baez, Nakashima- Lowly ranked and young but are good junior players
Lorenzo Musetti- Most proven born ’02 player in juniors

If there are any more that you believe I should have included, feel free to add and offer your opinions!
I'm going to ignore your last two groups (just too long of a list of players). Molleker and maybe Korda have my eye as well.

Not much detail on the original list, but Ill say Khachanov and now Medvedev are amazing me this year and one may be likely to eclipse Cilic's career. Right now my money is on Medvedev who has suddenly figured out how to serve really well, plus off the charts on return and ground game, just 7 UEs in Tokyo final with Nishikori. Probably a slam or two from these two.

I'd pick Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, and Auger-Aliassime as likely to get near high single digits on slams maybe more for one or two. Coric with an off chance of a Murray/Wawrinka like career. All of these players could win all 4 slams in their career so not a bad group. Coric and Zverev are closest to immediate success and maybe Tsitsipas with a deep run next year.

Edmund may be about as close as he'll ever get to top 10 once Australian Open SF drops up. He needs to do the deed before then or it may not happen.

de Minaur, Tiafoe, Chung, and Rublev might be able to pull something off at a slam. Chung showed great potential at Auz Open, but he does not get his game back quickly after injuries so he'll need a long period of good health to have a shot.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm going to ignore your last two groups (just too long of a list of players). Molleker and maybe Korda have my eye as well.

Not much detail on the original list, but Ill say Khachanov and now Medvedev are amazing me this year and one may be likely to eclipse Cilic's career. Right now my money is on Medvedev who has suddenly figured out how to serve really well, plus off the charts on return and ground game, just 7 UEs in Tokyo final with Nishikori. Probably a slam or two from these two.

I'd pick Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, and Auger-Aliassime as likely to get near high single digits on slams maybe more for one or two. Coric with an off chance of a Murray/Wawrinka like career. All of these players could win all 4 slams in their career so not a bad group. Coric and Zverev are closest to immediate success and maybe Tsitsipas with a deep run next year.

Edmund may be about as close as he'll ever get to top 10 once Australian Open SF drops up. He needs to do the deed before then or it may not happen.

de Minaur, Tiafoe, Chung, and Rublev might be able to pull something off at a slam. Chung showed great potential at Auz Open, but he does not get his game back quickly after injuries so he'll need a long period of good health to have a shot.
Athletic career predictions are like back surgery; a crap shoot in the dark. After all, it only takes one serious injury to ruin a career. Let's hope no one on this list has to cope with that. But, in the spirit of fun, I'll add the name Leo Borg to the list. He's only 15 but already a junior champion. In about 3 years, we will likely take notice of him if all goes well.

·
justice for all
13,135 Posts
well, it's all best guesses at the moment, most of our predictions will probably turn out wrong as they usually do

but at the end of the day someone has to win all those slams once big3 stop winning and it's really close, 2 maybe 3 years from now

my best guess for the guy who'll win most slams from the Gen Next is still Denis Shapovalov, he's got the full package, the power, the variety, the mentality, he's like a diamond that just needs to be polished

but well, we all remember how much Divatrov a Gasquet were hyped when they were young and none of them even reached a slam final...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts