Mens Tennis Forums banner

Next player to make semis at all Slams?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a relatively rare achievement. Only 5 active players have done it: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Berdych.

There are a few currently on 3/4 though:

del Potro - AO missing
Tsonga - USO missing
Ferrer and Wawrinka - Wimbledon missing

All these 4 players have reached QF at the Slams they're missing to complete their SF collection. I think their chances are relatively low tbh, del Potro is MIA, Tsonga always sucks on US soil for some reason, Wawrinka struggles on grass and Ferrer is just a non-factor in general in Slams.

I guess you can also consider Nishikori and Raonic contenders here despite having made only one Slam SF so far each since they're relatively new top 10 players and have been showing good consistency going deep.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Nishi and Raonic are in the mix then the slam champion with 2 SF, Wimb. QF and RG 4R is too, I guess.
You're right, I forgot Cilic, he should be in the poll. If some mod sees this thread, please add him there :yeah:

That said, I don't like Cilic's chances, he should make a Wimbledon SF at some point, but RG seems like a very big ask.

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
Proof that Berdych and Annie Mugray are slam clowns

Berdych a pathetic waste of space, and Annie with multiple finals at all but RG just embarassing conversion ratio.

OT: Wawrinka next year.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,317 Posts
Tsonga is the most likely imo, I mean from those who are already at 3/4. There's no real reason for him to suck at USO, it just never happened (reaching the SF, that is).

Not likely that Nishikori will ever reach the semis of Wimbledon. Raonic may reach them all.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
This is a relatively rare achievement. Only 5 active players have done it: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Berdych.

del Potro - AO missing
Tsonga - USO missing

All these 4 players have reached QF at the Slams they're missing to complete their SF collection. I think their chances are relatively low tbh, del Potro is MIA, Tsonga always sucks on US soil for some reason, Wawrinka struggles on grass and Ferrer is just a non-factor in general in Slams.

I guess you can also consider Nishikori and Raonic contenders here despite having made only one Slam SF so far each since they're relatively new top 10 players and have been showing good consistency going deep.
That's really weird, because he always plays well in Toronto/Montreal.

·
23,473 Posts
I still think Stan could try next year in probably his best last chance (although I still hope for better after that). He just kind of blown it this year, and I think he would try to improve his returns as it seems a crucial part that could be missing to make him more consistent (his serve conversion rate works if he's serving well, but is quite 50:50 when not). Maybe Tsonga could have another blitz for USO? I think Raonic is consistent enough to reach all 4 IMO.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Tsonga is the most likely imo, I mean from those who are already at 3/4. There's no real reason for him to suck at USO, it just never happened.

Not likely that Nishikori will ever reach the semis of Wimbledon. Raonic may reach them all.
Tsonga doesn't suck just at USO, he sucks in US soil in general. Check his IW, Miami, Cincy + non-mandatory tournaments in the US. He never made a SF in any mandatory event in the US and even QF is very rare.

I still think Stan could try next year in probably his best last chance (although I still hope for better after that). He just kind of blown it this year, and I think he would try to improve his returns as it seems a crucial part that could be missing to make him more consistent (his serve conversion rate works if he's serving well, but is quite 50:50 when not). Maybe Tsonga could have another blitz for USO? I think Raonic is consistent enough to reach all 4 IMO.
Hey, think you could add Cilic to the poll? I might be wrong but I believe mods can edit polls?

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
I think Del Potro is out of the mix now. Tsonga could this year but his window feels like its closing as well. Wawrinka and Ferrer don't seem like they would reach SFs in Wimbledon.

Including Nishikori and Raonic may have been the most sensible thing you did as they are likely the next to complete this feat.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Of the guys who are close, I'd say Tsonga. Still probably quite a small chance, but he's always capable of a great run, and he really shouldn't keep struggling there.

However, possibly it's more likely that the next is Raonic or Nishikori, though I certainly don't see it happening any time soon for either. And Nishikori will likely be missing odd slams here and there.

·
Registered
25 Posts

del Potro - AO missing
Tsonga - USO missing

In terms of likelyhood

Wawrinka - He's in best form of the bunch. And he's pretty good at keeping a consistant ranking (top 20 for years, now top 10). So he should have a few decent shots Risks; Worst surface. Has another 4-5 opportunities maybe?
Tsonga - Consistant top 10 player. In theory, he should have his opportunities. But he has one QF appearance in his entire career. Like Wawrinka, he's beginning to run low on opportunities
David Ferrer - Don't see it unless his draw falls apart. Already 33. His game isn't particularly great on grass.
Del Porto - has to prove he can actually make a successful comeback first. Even less likely than Ferrer at this point.

Why were Nishikori and Raonic included in the poll? Both have to reach three more semifinals.

If its results
Cilic (Wimbledon, French) and Gasquet (Australian, French) are closer.

If its age, I'd add Dimitrov (one semifinal appearance) or Kyrgios (much younger with two QF's) to the list as I think their about equally likely to get to that point first.

Edit: Nevermind just noticed Cilic was on the poll.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Wawrinka leading the poll :facepalm:. I can only assume those who voted for him didn't watch him on grass this year. Or do you really think 31 year old Wawrinka will be making the Wimbledon SF in 2016? :lol:.

I don't think any of the listed cases are likely to happen. We will probably need to wait for someone from the next generation to see this achievement repeated.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,317 Posts
Tsonga doesn't suck just at USO, he sucks in US soil in general. Check his IW, Miami, Cincy + non-mandatory tournaments in the US. He never made a SF in any mandatory event in the US and even QF is very rare.
I'm inclined to say that it's just a statistical fluke. He won the USO in juniors afterall.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I added Cilic. Could only get him at the bottom below "other" since votes are already cast.

In terms of likelyhood

Wawrinka - He's in best form of the bunch. And he's pretty good at keeping a consistant ranking (top 20 for years, now top 10). So he should have a few decent shots Risks; Worst surface. Has another 4-5 opportunities maybe?
Tsonga - Consistant top 10 player. In theory, he should have his opportunities. But he has one QF appearance in his entire career. Like Wawrinka, he's beginning to run low on opportunities
David Ferrer - Don't see it unless his draw falls apart. Already 33. His game isn't particularly great on grass.
Del Porto - has to prove he can actually make a successful comeback first. Even less likely than Ferrer at this point.

Why were Nishikori and Raonic included in the poll? Both have to reach three more semifinals.

If its results
Cilic (Wimbledon, French) and Gasquet (Australian, French) are closer.

If its age, I'd add Dimitrov (one semifinal appearance) or Kyrgios (much younger with two QF's) to the list as I think their about equally likely to get to that point first.

Edit: Nevermind just noticed Cilic was on the poll.
Nishikori and Raonic look primed for a long stay in the top 10, Nishikori could maybe even be more than that, we'll see next year if he can overcome these flat showings he has been giving in big matches.

I don't think we can say the same about Gasquet or Dimitrov, or even Kyrgios at this point, that's why they're not included. Cilic was an oversight yeah, he's been added to the poll now.

I'm inclined to say that it's just a statistical fluke. He won the USO in juniors afterall.
Maybe, but I can't recall any instance of Jo playing really well in the US. On the other hand, he's usually very good in Canada. Go figure :p

·
23,473 Posts
Wawrinka leading the poll :facepalm:. I can only assume those who voted for him didn't watch him on grass this year. Or do you really think 31 year old Wawrinka will be making the Wimbledon SF in 2016? :lol:.

I don't think any of the listed cases are likely to happen. We will probably need to wait for someone from the next generation to see this achievement repeated.
Yeah, and he can't win first Slam at the age of 28. :rolleyes: I know what I saw in grass, but is there any real competition on it that could really (as in full domination) trouble Stan if his serve is doing well? I still have hope he could adjust his game on grass enough to get out of tight situations. Haas reached his first RG QF at the age of 34, correct me if I'm wrong, so there is always room for improvement, and chances especially if the draw is good.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts

del Potro - AO missing
Tsonga - USO missing

Tsonga is definitely more likely than del Potro (as long as he's so much injury prone), Wawrinka and Ferrer. He played US Open being healthy only 4 times : QF (l. to Federer), R4 (l. to Murray and Gonzalez) and R3 (l. to Nadal). That's disappointing but not that bad. Also, he won Canada Masters and made 2 other SFs. If he's healthy and in a good shape, I'd say he has a small chance of finally reaching US Open SFs, but it also depends on the draw.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Tsonga is definitely more likely than del Potro (as long as he's so much injury prone), Wawrinka and Ferrer. He played US Open being healthy only 4 times : QF (l. to Federer), R4 (l. to Murray and Gonzalez) and R3 (l. to Nadal). That's disappointing but not that bad. Also, he won Canada Masters and made 2 other SFs. If he's healthy and in a good shape, I'd say he has a small chance of finally reaching US Open SFs, but it also depends on the draw.
Amazing match. USO crowd loved it.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Proof that Berdych and Annie Mugray are slam clowns

Berdych a pathetic waste of space, and Annie with multiple finals at all but RG just embarassing conversion ratio.

OT: Wawrinka next year.
You're not taking his defeat well are you bud

Reactions: TigerTim
1 - 20 of 38 Posts