Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think will be the first non-big4 winner at each of the 4 slams?

Youngsters (relatively speaking) are starting to break through in the 250s and the 500s. Coric, Dimitrov, Jerzy, Thiem, Nishikori, Tomic, Raonic, Kyrgios, Kokkinakis, Young :)cool:) etc. are all in the very early to early stages of their careers. All of them are improving, albeit at widely different rates.

On the other hand, the physical level of the big4 is slowly but surely going down too. I don't disagree that they can still win (and do win) all the big tournaments even when not playing at 100%, but at some point, things will start to change. I just hope the youngsters push through and catch the aging superstars before they completely decline instead of waiting for Rafa, Novak, Andy, and Roger's (though he is already ~50%) level to drop further in a few more seasons.

I'll start.

AO 16 - Dimitrov
RG 17 - Nishikori
Wim 16 - Janowicz
USO 16 - Dimitrov

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Who do you think will be the first non-big4 winner at each of the 4 slams?

Youngsters (relatively speaking) are starting to break through in the 250s and the 500s. Coric, Dimitrov, Jerzy, Thiem, Nishikori, Tomic, Raonic, Kyrgios, Kokkinakis, Young :)cool:) etc. are all in the very early to early stages of their careers. All of them are improving, albeit at widely different rates.

On the other hand, the physical level of the big4 is slowly but surely going down too. I don't disagree that they can still win (and do win) all the big tournaments even when not playing at 100%, but at some point, things will start to change. I just hope the youngsters push through and catch the aging superstars before they completely decline instead of waiting for Rafa, Novak, Andy, and Roger's (though he is already ~50%) level to drop further in a few more seasons.

I'll start.

AO 16 - Dimitrov
RG 17 - Nishikori
Wim 16 - Janowicz
USO 16 - Dimitrov
first, there is a thread about this. Second, forget about youngsters. They all suck. They are not breaking anything and they are not getting anywhere. When it really matters they all fail miserably. Things will start to change when I'm dead. Hopefully God or Devil will let me watch tennis in either heaven or hell ;).

Nadal is always complaining about some shit, Djokovic has been pregnant now for 2 years, yet somehow they manage to make almost all major/masters finals. Grand pa Fed is still number 4 in the world. Murray is around the corner.

Confused Dimitrova wanna be something, Mental Al Janowicz, always injured geisha Kei ... yeah, I don't think so.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
first, there is a thread about this. Second, forget about youngsters. They all suck. They are not breaking anything and they are not getting anywhere. When it really matters they all fail miserably. Things will start to change when I'm dead. Hopefully God or Devil will let me watch tennis in either heaven or hell ;).

Nadal is always complaining about some shit, Djokovic has been pregnant now for 2 years, yet somehow they manage to make almost all major/masters finals. Grand pa Fed is still number 4 in the world. Murray is around the corner.

Confused Dimitrova wanna be something, Mental Al Janowicz, always injured geisha Kei ... yeah, I don't think so.
I realized that from the response to this thread :D

I think Fed is an exception rather than the rule, I clearly don't see the other 3 aging as gracefully. MTF hyperbole aside, I don't think Dimitrov, Nishikori and Janowicz are that far behind. The top players are starting to pick up ailments, so they will have to take their chances. It may not happen this year, but I clearly see them breaking through by 2016 at the latest.

·
Registered
57,591 Posts
Dimitrov, or Janowicz if he ever gets his head on straight. If they under-perform Raonic might sneak one (though he could just as easily never win one) or Thiem or even Kyrigos of the younger guys might beat them to it, they really are a pretty horrible generation of players. But probably not for a year plus for any of them.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
If Djokovic, Nadal and Murray are still at the level in slams as they are now for the next few years...then this isn't happening for a long time.

That said I would go for the obvious: Dimitrov, Nishikori, Raonic, Gulbis etc.

It's hard to say though...anything could happen.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts

You don't half post some utter pish

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
I realized that from the response to this thread :D

I think Fed is an exception rather than the rule, I clearly don't see the other 3 aging as gracefully. MTF hyperbole aside, I don't think Dimitrov, Nishikori and Janowicz are that far behind. The top players are starting to pick up ailments, so they will have to take their chances. It may not happen this year, but I clearly see them breaking through by 2016 at the latest.
Janowicz is probably closer to Johnny Groove than Djokovic/Nadal gamewise. He's a challenger level mug.
Dimitrov could vulture some slams in the following years. Nishikori probably not, can't stay fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts