Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal and Wawrinka out.

Only Djokovic and Cilic are left here to prevent a first timer to get his big crown of calling himself a grand-slam-champion.

The probability dramatically increases because we all know how much Djokovic can struggle against the Russians, Thiem (on particular), Tsitsipas and - if injured - against Zverev and so on.

AFTER SIX YEARS the time might has come again. Last year Medvedev was very close... Thiem was close this year.

USO 2009 Juan Martin Del Potro
USO 2014 Marin Cilic
USO 2020 ??? (Thiem, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, [...]

·
11,132 Posts
Weasels will cancel this like every other events. Shocking stuff. Snowflakes everywhere

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
What's new here? US Open has been the slam that produces the new grand slam winner first, outside Big 3. It has been proven over the years. It is the most diverse slam.

Safin - 2000
Hewitt - 2001
Roddick - 2003
del Potro - 2009
Murray - 2012
Cilic - 2014

Except Wawrinka (his first slam is AO), all the above guys won their first grand slams at US Open. Of course, with no Rafa and no Federer, who will wipe out next gen, the next gen has the best chance here. However, it is not easy for a newcomer to beat the experienced Djokovic at a grand slam. We will see.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
will be interesting, but i will be shocked if Novak loses, best of luck to the next gen but I fear their quest will be in vain, I am cheering on Tsitsipas

·
Registered
758 Posts
Surprised no one is talking about Berrettini.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,681 Posts
I'm hoping Kei can find good form again, having made F and 2 SFs here, but unlikely given he hasn't played for so long following surgery, and even then the odds of him toppling Djokovic are low and he will not be well seeded either.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I'm hoping Kei can find good form again, having made F and 2 SFs here, but unlikely given he hasn't played for so long following surgery, and even then the odds of him toppling Djokovic are low and he will not be well seeded either.
💪 C'mon Kei

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
vyra esq, Nikola jokic and other Novak fans are getting really excited about USO, aren't they? Spamming the GM with loads of threads, calm your tits Nolefam.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Novak is obviously the favorite to win the US Open, but I would not be totally surprised to see Medvedev, Thiem or Tsitsipas win their first slam at the US Open. New York is Djokovic's second-worst slam even though it's on hardcourt. Medvedev made the final last year and almost beat Rafa from two sets down, and he's beaten Djokovic on a hardcourt before. Thiem pushed Novak to 5 sets at the Australian Open a few months ago, and the court conditions at the US Open suit Thiem more and suit Novak less than the conditions in Australia did. Thiem already has wins over both Djokovic and Nadal in slams. Tsitsipas has a tied head to head record against Djokovic on hardcourts (2-2), and he's already beaten Roger in a grand slam so he's proven he can beat top guys on the big stage. Add all this to the fact that Federer and Nadal will not be participating this year, and it will only take one poor match from Novak to virtually guarantee a new slam winner this year.

Alternatively, I could see Thiem becoming a new slam winner at the French Open. Again, Nadal is obviously the heavy favorite there as always, but we need to bear in mind that Rafa heavily prefers hot and sunny conditions and for once the French Open will be played during much cooler and wetter conditions this year since it is being played during the winter months. That could affect his rhythm and confidence, making him slightly more beatable at this year's event.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts