Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It's shitfests like this which is why tennis is so ignored in the US. Groth can't even make the simplest of volleys and backhands, and made it to the SFs solely based off of serve. Karlovic's volleys continue to improve, but Groth is just painful to watch.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
The most painless surgery one can ask for :devil:
Most painful commentators one could ask for. One gem included, "We've seen two huge servers, and next we're going to see two great returners." (referring to upcoming Hewitt-Sock match)

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
Groth was sooooooooooooooooo bad. I don't even have enough os. To not get to a tiebreak with Karlovic on Newport grass with a 140 MPH first serve...

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
right..sock is a great returner and im really roger federer:rolleyes:

happy for ivo. this will help to balance out the point loss from bogota next week

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I was expecting better match, this was just horrible, Groth gave him 2 breaks out of nowhere, really bad game, vs Mahut he was far better - in rallies he actually hit good shots, today not so much... Ivo not looking good himself, low FS% for his standars and 6DF´s, i think his back is not o.k and don´t like his chances in F and also don ´t looking good his chances to defend his Bogota title next week

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
:worship: go for it Doctor. Karlovic-Hewitt final please, for the nostalgia.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I was expecting better match, this was just horrible, Groth gave him 2 breaks out of nowhere, really bad game, vs Mahut he was far better - in rallies he actually hit good shots, today not so much... Ivo not looking good himself, low FS% for his standars and 6DF´s, i think his back is not o.k and don´t like his chances in F and also don ´t looking good his chances to defend his Bogota title next week
Ivo's serving fine. he had a slow start but 2nd set was solid Ivo serving. Double fault count was inflated by last game where he was toying with Groth and threw in 2 DFs. If he faces Hewitt in the final he should be gold, Sock could present a challenge.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Ivo's serving fine. he had a slow start but 2nd set was solid Ivo serving. Double fault count was inflated by last game where he was toying with Groth and threw in 2 DFs. If he faces Hewitt in the final he should be gold, Sock could present a challenge.
Yes he commit 2df´s in that last game i watched it, but his % was low for him, so don´t thik he is 100% healthy and agree about final vs Hewitt he should win, Lleyton has no serve so he will have few chances to break in every 2nd or 3rd service game of Lleyton - at least half chances, while Sock can go to the net, has good volleys, pretty good serve and has beaten RAonic and Isner alredy - probably is not so tighten up facing big servers

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
It's shitfests like this which is why tennis is so ignored in the US. Groth can't even make the simplest of volleys and backhands, and made it to the SFs solely based off of serve. Karlovic's volleys continue to improve, but Groth is just painful to watch.
He broke Young twice, Jaziri once and Mahut twice and more than that he was in Mahut's service games all match long if anything it's Mahut who won his 6/7 games thanks to his serve. I didn't watch the match today but it's unfair to say Groth has made it to this round solely thanks to the serve.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
What a time for Groth to play like a useless mug :facepalm: He served only on Karlovic's forehand, he wasn't going for his backhand at all, stupid tactics, double faults at key moments and easy forehand volleys sent into the net giving Karlovic chances to break

Groth beat himself here

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lady behind me at this one was really pissed. She had never seen Groth play (not too unexpected) but also didn't know who Ivo was. When I explained they are both terrible at returning she said "how bad could it be". Well, that match was how bad.

Groth sucked in this one, but Ivo was doing his usual thing outside of a ton of double faults. He earned both of the breaks with excellent forehands.

The longest rally may actually have been 5 shots in this match, which is crazy.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
sam :hug: but congrats for getting into top 100

1 - 20 of 25 Posts