Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
How things have changed since you used to quote all of my posts regarding Milos Raonic's ranking. I said that he would never be a consistent top 10 player like Tomas Berdych and it has turned out to be true. He had two stints, about a year and a half each time, in the top 10. Tomas Berdych must have spent around 7 solid years in the top 10.

I wondered why you hadn't pulled me up on this for a while... ;)
I do recall your trolling of Raonic, yes. Of course you neglect to mention here that Raonic was a top 10 player for the majority of about five years (2013-2017) even reaching No. 3 in the world before his body failed him. If you had predicted that Raonic's career would stall because of injury (and not because you incorrectly thought he wasn't good enough to be a top 10 player), you might have a little more reason to gloat. As it is, you just come off both petty and wrong.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
He’s consistent in slams but issue he’ll never go all the way to win it. I think he should try to win titles instead tbh.
After all the injuries, I think he's probably continuing to play tennis at a high level for two reasons at this point...to try to win a slam (as unlikely as that is given the fragility of his body) and to make as much money as possible while he can still play. And given how much more money there is at slams than regular tour events, I'd continue to expect him to give his best performances at those.

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
Kwon is amazing and Raonic, good riddance, he can lose anything going forward for all i care.

Shit Raonic, how the hell do you lose to whoever the hell this guy is? Just very bad performance.
always have to facepalm at clueless casual fans such as yourself

·
Registered
886 Posts
Kwon is amazing and Raonic, good riddance, he can lose anything going forward for all i care.

always have to facepalm at clueless casual fans such as yourself
Uh Kwon has barely been on ATP tour level and Raonic was coming off an AO quarters appearance and also beat Tsitsipas in straights. So yes, Raonic losing to this challenger mug is strange.

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
Well, I imagine Raonic cares little about you not caring 😜
yea, but thats not really relevant innit

still, i think people dehumanize athletes too much. a lot of them are too insecure/thin skinned

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
yea, but thats not really relevant innit

still, i think people dehumanize athletes too much. a lot of them are too insecure/thin skinned
Right, your comment was irrelevant was my point.

Not sure if I follow your second point - who is too thin skinned/ insecure - athletes or fans?

·
Registered
13,696 Posts
Right, your comment was irrelevant was my point.

Not sure if I follow your second point - who is too thin skinned/ insecure - athletes or fans?
athletes. a lot of them care way too much for what fans think.

·
Registered
21,154 Posts
I do recall your trolling of Raonic, yes. Of course you neglect to mention here that Raonic was a top 10 player for the majority of about five years (2013-2017) even reaching No. 3 in the world before his body failed him. If you had predicted that Raonic's career would stall because of injury (and not because you incorrectly thought he wasn't good enough to be a top 10 player), you might have a little more reason to gloat. As it is, you just come off both petty and wrong.
He was in the top 10 from April 2014 until October 2015 and from May 2016 until August 2017.

That's not even 3 years. He was only in the top 10 for a total of two weeks out with the time scales I displayed.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Context is everything, isn't it?

He was in the top 10 from April 2014 until October 2015
After reaching the top 10 for the first time in August 2013, he then ranked #11 in the world from August 19, 2013 to March 31, 2014. For all intents and purposes, he was on that level during that stretch.

He also only fell out of the top 10 in October 2015 due to injuries throughout 2015 (he had surgery to repair a nerve in his foot in the spring which led to him missing the French among other tournaments and he ultimately had to cut his season short due to it).

and from May 2016 until August 2017.
When he again fell out of the top 10 in August 2017 due to injury (he suffered a hamstring tear among other injuries which again led to him missing a number of tournaments including the US Open and again cutting his season short). He's been in a more or less constant state of injury since then where he hasn't been able to stay healthy for more than a few tournaments at a time.

Once again, if you had predicted that Raonic's career would stall because of injury (and not because you incorrectly thought he wasn't good enough to be a top 10 player, which he very clearly was as his results indicate), you might have a little more reason to gloat. As it is, you just come off both petty and wrong.

The guy had the 38th highest peak ELO rating of all time ahead of players like Michael Chang, Tomas Berdych, Yannick Noah, Patrick Rafter, Jo Wilfried Tsonga, Marcelo Rios, and Marin Cilic. Despite your trolling, the story of his career will be the injuries, not that he wasn't capable of playing at a high level while at his best/healthiest.

·
Registered
21,154 Posts
Context is everything, isn't it?

After reaching the top 10 for the first time in August 2013, he then ranked #11 in the world from August 19, 2013 to March 31, 2014. For all intents and purposes, he was on that level during that stretch.

He also only fell out of the top 10 in October 2015 due to injuries throughout 2015 (he had surgery to repair a nerve in his foot in the spring which led to him missing the French among other tournaments and he ultimately had to cut his season short due to it).

When he again fell out of the top 10 in August 2017 due to injury (he suffered a hamstring tear among other injuries which again led to him missing a number of tournaments including the US Open and again cutting his season short). He's been in a more or less constant state of injury since then where he hasn't been able to stay healthy for more than a few tournaments at a time.

Once again, if you had predicted that Raonic's career would stall because of injury (and not because you incorrectly thought he wasn't good enough to be a top 10 player, which he very clearly was as his results indicate), you might have a little more reason to gloat. As it is, you just come off both petty and wrong.

The guy had the 38th highest peak ELO rating of all time ahead of players like Michael Chang, Tomas Berdych, Yannick Noah, Patrick Rafter, Jo Wilfried Tsonga, Marcelo Rios, and Marin Cilic. Despite your trolling, the story of his career will be the injuries, not that he wasn't capable of playing at a high level while at his best/healthiest.
Are we talking about top 11 now? I thought we were talking about top 10, where Milos Raonic spent around 2 years and 9 months, or thereabouts. That's nowhere near the likes of Tomas Berdych, who at least managed to win a Masters Series event.

You had me laughing at that "ELO rating" thing. What the hell is that nonsense? I looked up my favourite player, Marat Safin, who came in at 65 with the 2005 Australian Open. For my money, that was an all-time memorable and impressive slam win. Apparently, it ranks only 11 places above David Nalbandian's run to the 3rd round of the Cincinnati Masters in 2010, where he defeated Ivan Ljubicic and got a retirement against John Isner.

Check this, Robin Soderling's run to the 2nd round of the Indian Wells Masters in 2011 is ranked 37. He beat Michael Berrer and then lost to Phillip Kohlschreiber in the next round. That's apparently more impressive than Milos Raonic's run to the 2016 Wimbledon final, Daniil Medvedev's Shanghai Masters title, Marin Cilic's US Open title, Alexander Zverev's Canada Masters title, Petr Korda's Australian Open title, Marat Safin's Australian Open title, Stefanos Tsitsipas' Masters Cup title and it's over 100 places more impressive than Thomas Johansson's Australian Open title.

Get out of here.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Are we talking about top 11 now? I thought we were talking about top 10, where Milos Raonic spent around 2 years and 9 months, or thereabouts. That's nowhere near the likes of Tomas Berdych, who at least managed to win a Masters Series event.
I noticed that you completely ignored the fact that the only reasons Raonic dropped out of the top 10 at various times was due to his numerous injuries that destroyed his career. That's, of course, what trolls do.

You had me laughing at that "ELO rating" thing. What the hell is that nonsense? I looked up my favourite player, Marat Safin, who came in at 65 with the 2005 Australian Open. For my money, that was an all-time memorable and impressive slam win. Apparently, it ranks only 11 places above David Nalbandian's run to the 3rd round of the Cincinnati Masters in 2010, where he defeated Ivan Ljubicic and got a retirement against John Isner.

Check this, Robin Soderling's run to the 2nd round of the Indian Wells Masters in 2011 is ranked 37. He beat Michael Berrer and then lost to Phillip Kohlschreiber in the next round. That's apparently more impressive than Milos Raonic's run to the 2016 Wimbledon final, Daniil Medvedev's Shanghai Masters title, Marin Cilic's US Open title, Alexander Zverev's Canada Masters title, Petr Korda's Australian Open title, Marat Safin's Australian Open title, Stefanos Tsitsipas' Masters Cup title and it's over 100 places more impressive than Thomas Johansson's Australian Open title.
ELO isn't about respective tournament runs. It's not comparing Raonic's 2016 Wimbledon "run" with Nalbandian's Cincinatti "run" to the 3rd round. It's a system that measures a player's respective level at that exact point in time based on the victories/losses that came before it.

Get out of here.
Next time before you decide to troll, I'd be better prepared than this. I'm sure you can and will do better.

·
Registered
21,154 Posts
I noticed that you completely ignored the fact that the only reasons Raonic dropped out of the top 10 at various times was due to his numerous injuries that destroyed his career. That's, of course, what trolls do.

ELO isn't about respective tournament runs. It's not comparing Raonic's 2016 Wimbledon "run" with Nalbandian's Cincinatti "run" to the 3rd round. It's a system that measures a player's respective level at that exact point in time based on the victories/losses that came before it.

Next time before you decide to troll, I'd be better prepared than this. I'm sure you can and will do better.
What exactly did Milos Raonic win, during his healthy stints in the top 10? Did he squeeze in an ATP 500? You were touting this guy for slams and a Berdych-like run in the top 10, neither of which he was able to achieve.

Then what exactly is the point in this ELO system relative to tennis? Robin Soderling's level, at that point in time, when he won a match at Indian Wells against Michael Berrer, is superior to players winning slams and coming off the back of Masters Series wins?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts