Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a steady performance by the Taiwanese!
He did not hit as hard as Opelka, but he controlled the ball much better.
Hope he could continue his good form and play more good tennis!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
We started with Karlovic, Isner, Opelka, Raonic and Anderson. All these towers are out before SF.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Awesome run for Jason. Anderson, Norrie, Opelka is about as tough a draw as you can expect in a tournament whose field looked the way it did.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm ashamed that I didn't give Jung any chance at all pre-match. I simply skipped this one as I assumed Jason would get frustrated and melt down at some point (and there was Schwartzman - Cuevas going on too, of course).

Jung had several almost-breaking-through-but-not-quite-happening-after-all moments in his career so far, and this might be it, finally.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Besides poor results for big servers, the New York open has not looked very good from a home crowd perspective. Eight US players, including the top seed and the title defender, was part of the main draw. Four US players made it to the second round, which might not seem that bad. However, two players got a bye (Opelka and Isner), and the two others who made it (Giron and Johnson) got to the second round by beating other US players. All in all, there were seven encounters between home players and non-US guys, and the latter won all but one of these matches. Had Querrey or Fritz played, maybe things could have turned out a bit better for the Americans, but it is fair to say that the state of US tennis on the male side doesn't look all that promising. Could Sebastian Korda (son of former slam winner Petr Korda, and a winner of the AO junior slam 2018) be the guy who turns things around for the US players?

·
Rankings Master
15,859 Posts
Great run for Jung in New York, closes in on his previous career high (114) with a live position at 119. Unfortunately, only a title can place him in Top 100.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts