Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Incredible achievement considering the circumstances that led him here. It wasn't that long ago that early retirement was a very real possibility and he had to basically redesign his backhand stroke mid career, which is super tough to do.

gross. will likely only last til USO tho.
Are you saying he'll win the US Open and thus leapfrog Federer in the rankings to reach #2? Didn't know you were such an optimist.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Comical that he achieves it in the week where he gave a walkover... would have been nicer with a win.

·
|
14,311 Posts
Del Potro was Nadal's biggest obstacle at Wimbledon.
After Nadal beat Del Potro I said Nadal wouldn't have enough left to beat Djokovic.
Good to see Nadal won't have to play him in the QF again at US Open.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
well deserved to be sure

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
So happy every time he achieves something, he deserves it.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
well played JMDP Sir

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If we take the active players and their best career ranking, the situation is following:

Players who reached 5th spot as their best:
Robredo
Tsonga
Anderson

4th spot
Nishikori
Berdych
Thiem

3rd spot
Ferrer
Wawrinka
Raonic
Zverev
Dimitrov
Cilic
DelPo

So in terms of ranking - DelPo is now 2nd best player from Argentina - together with Coria and Nalbandian. However, his career resume puts him ahead of them.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Congrats, DelPo! Long overdue.

Although given the circumstances, it's a bit of a bitter sweet celebration. I hope the withdrawal this week was precautionary. He's been quite paranoid about his wrists in recent years, so fingers crossed it's just that. I'd rather have him as #4 (or #5, or #10) but 100% healthy than as #3 with question marks going into the remainder of the season.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts