Tennis Masters Cup organizers today unveiled the futuristic Qi Zhong stadium, site of the Tennis Masters Cup from 2005-2007.
• Located in Ma Qiao Town of Minhang District in the south west of Shanghai. There will be a total of 40 courts when the Phase 2 is completed. (Centre Court Stadium, 3 small indoor stadiums,14 indoor courts and 22 outdoor courts)
• The Tennis Centre will be part of the Qi Zhong Forest Sports City Complex which includes a golf course and residential villas with a total area of 20 km2.
• The Tennis Centre covers a total area of 338,836 square meters, of which 85,000 square meters are made up of structures. Its volume rate is 0.187, building density 15.1%, green/open space 46.1%, and parking capacity is 993 spaces.
• The center court stadium features 30,649 square meters of construction. It has four floors, measuring a total height of 40 meters above ground level. The center court features a steel roof with eight petal-shaped pieces (each petal weighs two tonnes) which resemble a magnolia, Shanghai's city flower. The opening of the roof represents the blooming of a magnolia flower.
• The roof will take eight minutes to completely open or close.
• The stadium can be adapted for other international events such as basketball, volleyball, ping pang, or gymnastics.
• During the Tennis Masters Cup event, there will be a retail zone and public eating/drinking areas outside the stadium.
• Besides regular seats, the center court will also feature VIP, media, and handicapped seating. ( The Stadium has special elevators and seating areas, to ensure that the facility is wheelchair friendly.)
• The Centre Court seats 15,000 people. The court is surrounded by 30 permanent rows of seats (12,000). Another 3,000 VIP seats are found in the 26 deluxe skyboxes and courtside box seats. These seats will have access to the private hospitality lounges and dining areas.
• There is an air-conditioning outlet under each seat, which can be used for both cooling and heating. In summer, cool air can be released to disperse the heat, while in winter a current of heat will the stadium warm.
• The stadium houses private locker rooms with shower and massage facilities, for each Tennis Masters Cup (singles) player. In addition, there will be a players' lounge, gym and dining area so can warm up before a match and relax afterwards without leaving the venue. Players' comfort has been a top priority for venue design.
360 degrees of Unobstructed Sightlines
• The stadium has built 20 broadcasting rooms at the highest level of the venue, which will allow simultaneous television coverage by 20 different media groups. Space is also reserved inside the inner court ring for broadcasting equipment. Given the circular shape of Centre Court, there is little to block views, which provide excellent sight lines for TV broadcasting.
• The 1800 square meter Media Center will be of the highest international standards, equipped with 240 individual journalist workstations with telephone and Internet access and a special photographer locker room for equipment.
• Shuttle buses between the site and various downtown locations will be arranged for the Tennis Masters Cup events. In addition, there will be 993 parking spaces.