Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Very interesting idea, I would like to try it as an amatuer. If you can adjust the bounce and the speed seperatly, it would be really good. Imagine if amatuer players can adjust it to be slow like clay, but bounce low like grass or carpet. I think it can be really cheap in long term and the biggest problem with tennis for me is the weather. This could minimalize it, because it would still be healthy not like HC, but no problems with rain.

Great thread

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Nadal would have no argument this time, because the surface won't be slippery, nor hard on the knees.:)
As long as the surface is not as slow as clay, nadal will whine again.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
:haha:

I remember there was a glass court exibition event in Top Spin 4.
Still on horizon and don't expect it to come in few years at least upto Whiny's retirement, U.Phony will never allow that. :superlol:

Is it possible to merge this useless thread into "Invent New Surface" thread by Marsball Poosher?

·
Rankings Master
15,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
A certain thread reminded of this topic. Quite interesting progress in homologation of this surface.

Technical details:
http://asbglassfloor.com/sports_flooring.php

Elasticity is quite astounding:

Surprising for most people our glass floor is more elastic than most wooden floors. In combination with our specially designed aluminium double beam sub-structure the elasticity and deflection is equal over the whole of the surface. Glass normally has a flat, shiny and slippery surface. By applying a special treatment to the floor surface we achieved very low light reflection values. There are no hotspots or direct reflections visible on the floor surface. Therefore the player does not get distracted by reflections or blinded by reflecting light. The surface looks very uniform and low key with the main focus on the players. The friction on the glass is controlled by burnt-in ceramic dots. The quantity and size of these dots has been adjusted to meet the friction values of traditional sports floors. The surface we created provides the right anti-slip protection but will not hurt when players dive for a ball.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Excellent perspective. No judges, no linesmen, no ball boys or ballgirls, no hawkeye. Only a beautiful girl with a small board announcing the next game. The balls dispensed through a ceiling-suspended hose and collected by horizontal winds blowing near the surface. Almost virtual tennis. And about the cost: Revenues of today´s tournaments are astronomical. If they can build new courts and stadiums, why not a new surface?
As Alice would say:
LET TENNIS PASS
THROUGH THE LOOKING-GLASS.

·
Premium Member
9,943 Posts
Would love to see this surface. I imagine the surface would be really fast.

Which would be pretty badass.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Still on horizon and don't expect it to come in few years at least upto Whiny's retirement, U.Phony will never allow that. :superlol:

Is it possible to merge this useless thread into "Invent New Surface" thread by Marsball Poosher?
Heh, seems you might have been posting the same sentiments if internet was around when somebody first mooted the idea of hard courts.

May be costly for tennis alone, but I think it's multi-sport use could prove a real saving.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Enjoyed reading through this thread.

I think it's a question of when it will be implemented rather than if. As numerous others have said, squash has shown that glass courts can be safe and I think the light displays would make it substantially different from the other surfaces to provide incentive to use it on the tour. I actually think we could see it at a 250/500 somewhere first and potentially used for the WTF somewhere down the line to add an extra special element.

·
Registered
642 Posts
This looks like more and more likely to me, even for outdoor courts.

"LIFETIME
Made from glass, ceramic and aluminium the floor has a very, very high life expectancy. All these materials are known for their toughness, resistance against climate, corrosion and age. After 2.5 years of daily testing and use in a busy school gym there is no sign of usage or wear and tear on the floor surface or the LED marking lines. The colour of the floor surface is determined by a coloured foil applied to the bottom side of the floor. This foil will never be touched and can therefore not wear off. If required the foil on the glass panels can be changed any time to suit the new style after a renovation or just for a change."
(Source: http://asbglassfloor.com/sports_flooring.php )

This is a very good sign for maintaining a court, because compared to hardcourt which should be resurfaced in tennis clubs every 5-7 years and tournaments are doing more often, this seems to last for a very long-time which results an even cheaper price if we count for a long-term. Also cracks should be repaired instantly which results in more costs for every year.

We should count the multi functionality also, which results that in a club there is less time wasted. Also it seems to me that indoor maintenance is much less work.

But the most important thing is this:

"The floor is made from tempered safety glass and can withstand enormous impact. The panels are made from 2 specially treated glass plates held together by a 2 mm PVB safety layer. The glass panels canbeproducedtoasize larger than 2 x 3 metres and make the floor longer lasting than any conventional floor. This is why in 2007 we have been able to install the first open air squash court on a cruise ship, withstanding the impact of sea water and perpetual movement over years."
"The floor has also withstood long term outdoor tests without any signs of ageing. Worldwide new glass floors are being installed with completely satisfied customers."
(Source: http://www.asbglassfloor.com/data/brochure.pdf )

Which means that no one should worry about the water or basically anything with this surface.

They also worked on reflection which resulted in that there is basically no reflection that could disturb the players but there is some reflection which improves visibility.

And because money makes the world to evolve:

"Advertising is a vital part for refinancing the investment in an ASB GlassFloor. All glass panels outside the official sports field can be used for permanent advertising. By simply applying logos and graphics underneath the glass panels clear advertising messages can be displayed on the floor, complete in the viewer’s area of attention. These graphics can be changed easily and sold for set periods of time (i.e. one year or only for a single tournament. Interactive advertising under the floor is also possible. Using LED panels the whole floor can in theory be turned into one gigantic screen that could show adverts during break time." (Source: http://asbglassfloor.com/ideas_bank.php )

Which is basically the whole reason for tournaments to move to glass courts, they are cheaper, healthier, multifunctional and makes it way easier to advertise. This is really the future as it looks like.

ALSO here is a bounce test video:

·
Registered
878 Posts
If someone has a smash won't it break the glass?

81 - 98 of 98 Posts