Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
So, no technology for us because it needs sweeping too often? I mean, come on, it's not like the players will have to do it themselves and sweepers would be more useful than most of line judges nowadays (think Shanghai).
But sweeping in between points? The game is already slow with players taking 30+ seconds between serves, and this will just delay it even further...

·
Rankings Master
15,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
But sweeping in between points? The game is already slow with players taking 30+ seconds between serves, and this will just delay it even further...
So, a ball boy retrieving a ball does not delay the game? The sweepers will act while the ball boys retrieve the ball. Parallel action = no time lost.

·
Registered
21,154 Posts
The surface would be coated in something, it wouldn't be 100% glass.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Instead of bringing back the carpet, we have this :facepalm:

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
So, a ball boy retrieving a ball does not delay the game? The sweepers will act while the ball boys retrieve the ball. Parallel action = no time lost.
Sweeping takes a bit longer than throwing a ball ;)

·
Rankings Master
15,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Instead of bringing back the carpet, we have this :facepalm:
This could actually be faster than carpet, depending on the friction coefficient. If the surface is made slip resistant the bounce would be low enough to produce higher speed tennis. But given it's visual advantage, players would also have more chance to see the ball even moving faster. In other words, the whole sport would increase in speed, not just the ball movement.

Plus, 100% accuracy and no need for a challenge system.
Plus, visual statistics on player movement, ball drops that can entertain the audience (not just the TV audience, but the live audience as well).
Plus, light shows to be played between points.

It's the future. Few people realize the potential for this.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Not if the the court is treated with a substance that makes water extremely easy to sweep and the below-court interface points the sweepers where to act.;)
Make water easier to sweep?! Do tell me about this magic substance.

Seems so artificial, I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Isn't glass an official surface for squash tournaments since a few years already? There you have two people running around on an area that's smaller than one half of a tennis court. I assume they wouldn't do this if the court was that slippery...

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
This would be a cool innovation. It's fast which makes it even better in my mind

·
Registered
28,768 Posts
If this proved to actually work it would indeed be pretty cool.

Would love for the AO to be held on glass, to create further variety in the slams.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Not gonna happen, because it is purely expensive. It wouldn't make sense to put a major event on glass whereas the lead in events aren't. Tournament couldn't even put hawk eye in every court.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Give it a few years, someone with deep enough pockets who doesn't give a fuck will go for it.........
Also bear in mind ASB would happily cut a deal with someone just to get promotion for this.

Can't wait personally!

·
Registered
28,768 Posts

·
Lurrrkin'
18,055 Posts
Player won't want to smash their rackets on this surface. :lol:
Probably end up with a blue screen of death in place of the Tennis court

·
Rankings Master
15,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Although, this may have been taken as a joke by many people, here are more details about this potential new surface, that would permit tennis to enter a new century of high technology impregnated into the sport. The floor can be used to accurately pinpoint the ball anywhere it lands (much higher than the Hawkeye system) and it can also be used to track the player's movements, actively being able to show movement statistics to spectators and even to players.

If this surface gets accepted by the ATP, its bounce can be adjusted just like hard courts, but players will have less problems with movement as the surface will not be as tough as the hard courts. The visual displays will also be helpful to track the ball during a match so that spectators can see more of what is going on.

The new glass floor
I like it!

Does it have to be indoors? I was wondering about the lights showing up outdoors.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
It would be cool to see for sure.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts