Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Rankings Master
15,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although, this may have been taken as a joke by many people, here are more details about this potential new surface, that would permit tennis to enter a new century of high technology impregnated into the sport. The floor can be used to accurately pinpoint the ball anywhere it lands (much higher than the Hawkeye system) and it can also be used to track the player's movements, actively being able to show movement statistics to spectators and even to players.

If this surface gets accepted by the ATP, its bounce can be adjusted just like hard courts, but players will have less problems with movement as the surface will not be as tough as the hard courts. The visual displays will also be helpful to track the ball during a match so that spectators can see more of what is going on.

The new glass floor

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
not possible.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If you post logically , then I can argue .
But stuff. like glass surface ?
Will it happen in 50 years?
/thread.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Is the surface not dangerous? I haven't seen the video, since it's not working. But glass would indicate very slippery to me and potentially dangerous.

Though from a viewing perspective and if the accuracy of the calls is good, then I'm all up for it.
Not if they treat it in some way. I doubt it will look like real glass.

·
Rankings Master
15,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you post logically , then I can argue .
But stuff. like glass surface ?
Will it happen in 50 years?
/thread.
I have not posted anything that is illogical. You have no idea about technology, nor tennis, so why post here of all places?

Is the surface not dangerous? I haven't seen the video, since it's not working. But glass would indicate very slippery to me and potentially dangerous.

Though from a viewing perspective and if the accuracy of the calls is good, then I'm all up for it.
I thought so at first as well, but no, it is not slippery in any way, as long as the proper humidity is maintained. It surely cannot be used in outdoor conditions yet, but it can be developed in time, with either a new layer that can protect against loss of adherence or a coating to the glass that only affects that laser effect in a minor way.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Can it be made into clay? Otherwise it has no chance of being a surface as long as Tony's the one in charge.

·
Registered
42,421 Posts
Although, this may have been taken as a joke by many people, here are more details about this potential new surface, that would permit tennis to enter a new century of high technology impregnated into the sport. The floor can be used to accurately pinpoint the ball anywhere it lands (much higher than the Hawkeye system) and it can also be used to track the player's movements, actively being able to show movement statistics to spectators and even to players.

If this surface gets accepted by the ATP, its bounce can be adjusted just like hard courts, but players will have less problems with movement as the surface will not be as tough as the hard courts. The visual displays will also be helpful to track the ball during a match so that spectators can see more of what is going on.

The new glass floor
Wow, that looks really impressive! If the upper layer of the surface can be made so that it's not slippery like ordinary glass then it looks fantastic! And the floor can be used for different ballgames with the LED lights changing the lines, really cool! :)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Grass => Glass || Hard => Wood || Clay => Snow :secret:

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
It is highly possible to create glass surface, since tech nowadays allows micro precision, in a way to create small bumps for fraction to exist, but elegant on the eye.

Also that glass would be pinch black, or any color actually. And because of that microscopic precision they could create or mimic anykind of today existing surface. Slow and fast.

PS. Editing. Glass is made out of a rock(and some minerals), so if that is 10 cm thick , they cant brake it that easy.

·
Registered
11,667 Posts
The real question is: How will they slow it down?

You know it's coming.
This thread deserves and is worthy of my temporary reappearance. Great find Slasher!

To reply to the quoted poster, I imagine it will not be difficult to adjust the speed. Make it more gritty on the top and it will slow a ball down. More smooth and a ball will encounter less friction and play will be faster.

Some technical specs and my comments below for those interested:

• Glass floor panels: Laminated SGG STADIP security glass panels made of two tempered security glass parts separated by 1.52mm thick PVB- foil.

[*]Surface of glass panels: Special etching on the upper surface of the glass panels to prevent light reflection and a slip resistant screen print.

[*]Sliding characteristics: The material testing institute of Stuttgart University tested the panels’ sliding characteristics against DIN V 18032-2 (2001-04). The panels met the sliding characteristic required for sports halls – minimum 0.4μ and maximum 0.6μ.

[*]Standards: The floor meets the national and international requirements for slip resistance (DIN V 18032-2:2001) and was tested according to the requirements of the EN 14904 for area elastic floors for shock absorption, standard deformation, behavior under rolling load and ball reflection.
My comments:

SGG STADIP security glass comes in different strengths. Click on the link for more info. From strong enough to withstand manual attack to bullets and explosives.

Slip resistant - players like Djokovic and Nadal and Murray will be happy, unlike on blue clay or slippery grass. ;)

I wonder if the sliding characteristics mentioned are adjustable. Probably yes.

Any bets on which tournament might adapt it first for ATP testing purposes?
Mr. Ion Tiriac seems like he is always willing to experiment on things like this. Changing colors should make him happy. :)

Of course Hawk-eye and challenge system supporters and line judges might not be happy if they are no longer necessary...

And last but certainly not least, factor in the cost of implementation vs. savings (see line above).

Respectfully,
masterclass

1 - 20 of 98 Posts