Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rugby sevens, kite surfing and golf added to the 2016 olympics

mixed doubles curling, a team event in alpine skiing, mass start in speed skating and big air in snowboarding will debut in the 2018 olympics

what do you guys think about this? personally i only really have a thought about curling among these sports. im torn because mixed doubles doesnt have a lot of respect, even among curlers. many people and even curlers themselves view it more as a recreational activity, the way tennis players feel about mixed doubles or ..in some cases doubles. im already seeing reactions of some very accomplished curlers who view this as a negative. im 50/50 myself. i can see why the curlers themselves arent crazy about this idea but i dont think its a bad thing when more curling gets on tv. The other negative is that mixed doubles is still very young internationally. It is a discipline of curling that has only had a world championship since 2008 and it doesnt seem like a smart move to put a sport thats only been taken seriously for 7 years into the olympics.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
In before people coming here and saying Golf is not a real "sport"

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
The more the merrier. That's always been my position.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
:facepalm: What is next? Long spitting? Why not, rock climbing? Or tricycle racing? Or who is best in battelfield 4?

Getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
In before people coming here and saying Golf is not a real "sport"
I would love to see snooker there to be honest. Or billiard in general. Archery is there, so why not another game/sport based on co-ordination.
Billiard games are way too underrated by many people btw. You don´t need to have muscles, but the amount of training is still unreal. Three cushion billiard is considered as one of the toughest games and only 50% people who are active in snooker (at any level though) are able to make a break 20 (from 147 possible), even after years.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Golf shouldn't be at the Olympics, just like tennis shouldn't.

In most Olympic sports, the Olympics are the most important event, at least in some way. In athletics or swimming it's obvious. In basketball or hockey (at least '98-'14) it's the biggest national team event. But then tennis, an ATP-750. Golf will be similar. It's the majors that are the big thing, the Olympics will be a quadrennial exho. A sport like that shouldn't keep sports like squash away from the Olympics, a sport for which Olympics would be the only time getting big publicity. But golf at the Olympics is a win-win situation for golf and the IOC. Golf will get free advertising at the Olympics whereas the IOC's business will profit from the golf stars (even though Tiger will struggle to qualify).

·
11,032 Posts
Next they will add M.L.G

Major League Gaming :p

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what i dont understand is why countries aqrent able to send their best players to the olympics when they qualify. for example, if the german men qualify for the olympics this year their best players like ozil and muller and neuer wouldnt be able to go

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
^not completely true. They can go but max just 3 players over 23 of age can be in a team. This is quite known that the Olympic tournament is mainly just for U23 players (at least it has been like that for couple of years)

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^not completely true. They can go but max just 3 players over 23 of age can be in a team. This is quite known that the Olympic tournament is mainly just for U23 players (at least it has been like that for couple of years)
yeah, but what is the reasoning? the women dont seem to have the same rule applied to them.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In the 80ies when IOC allowed professionals to play, FIFA still didn't want the Olympic tournament to rival the World Cup so conclusion was that UEFA and CONMEBOL teams could sent just the players who never played at the WC. Many teams from those 2 continents sent just young players to the first 'professional' Olympic tournament. So IIRC since 1992 Olympics they changed the rule to this 'U23' rule to have the same conditions for all the teams more or less...

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Finally mixed doubles curling yoohoooooo!!!

:facepalm:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts