Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the ATP has announced a new schedule. It even states they will review in July and hope to play asian tournaments before European indoor and World Tour Finals.

If it all goes ahead what do you think will happen with ranking points? I think they will just switch back on. Any of the tournaments held they will lose there points and have to defend them. While any tournament played last year that was not held I.e Wimbledon etc. players hold onto those points until they have a chance to defend them Next year.

Also I think it would be stupid to have a year end #1 this year without a full season

·
Your visions will happen
50,044 Posts
Yes I am still waiting word on what the ranking system will be. I agree that March 11 - August 14 tournament points from 2019 must stay on the computer until they are played once more in 2021. Meanwhile points from Washington DC week and on will count as normal and 2020 points will be coming off

But we will see what's going on

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Yes I am still waiting word on what the ranking system will be. I agree that March 11 - August 14 tournament points from 2019 must stay on the computer until they are played once more in 2021. Meanwhile points from Washington DC week and on will count as normal and 2020 points will be coming off

But we will see what's going on
In my opinion that would not be a fair system. Why should points for some tournaments (say Wimbledon 2019) stay in a valid ranking for 1 year and 7 months (assuming 5 months break) and others (US Open 2019) for only 7 months? So the win in Wimbledon 2019 would be worth more than twice the win at USO 2019 for the ranking history? In my opinion, every tournament should just be kept for 52 valid weaks in the ranking. And I say that as a Federer fan, although he would definitely not profit from this, as he would lose his Wimbledon points earlier.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Why create this thread?
We already have threads about the new schedule, and we even have a thread about rankings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts